Anyone used turbodynamics or wgmotorsport (turbo)

Associate
Hi there ,
Que the vx hate :(

I've owned a VX astra j vxr from new 2014 but alas it needs some work done , firstly the oem turbo has bitten the dust a while back and while I have debated fixing it as cheap as possible and shifting it I've decided to keep it for the mean time which brings me to needing some advice .

Having googled a bit ive seen a stage 4 turbo for a similar price to the the lower tier ones around 1200 quid reduced from 1600 , which would seem a bit of a no brainer to get the stage 4 one? with the turbosmart recirc valve being an additional 120ish

question is, the car is standard (however i will be fitting an uprated clutch) will there be any issues running the stage 4 turbo to look out for?

has anyone used wgmotorsport or turbodynamics and would recommend them ?

im based in Northern Ireland but intend to run the new turbo using the standard map for a short period before putting the car on the boat for a trip to courtney for mapping as part of a stage 2 package

thanks!

Associate
I wouldn't run a bigger turbo without a remap at all to be honest, it's just not worth the risk.

What's the power increase from a stage 4? I know the engines are generally OK but the gearboxes are made from cheese if I remember correctly. Will you also need better fuelling? Better injectors? You'll likely need a bigger exhaust to increase flow and reduce back pressure, bigger intercooler to keep intake temps down.

You generally can't just bolt on a bigger turbo, get it mapped and off you go, you'll need supporting modifications too.

If you're not set on going down that road I'd just buy another standard turbo and enjoy it for what it is.

Also used turbodynamics on my TDO4 14T hybrid rebuilt with a 16G compressor. They're very good.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't run a bigger turbo without a remap at all to be honest, it's just not worth the risk.

What's the power increase from a stage 4? I know the engines are generally OK but the gearboxes are made from cheese if I remember correctly. Will you also need better fuelling? Better injectors? You'll likely need a bigger exhaust to increase flow and reduce back pressure, bigger intercooler to keep intake temps down.

You generally can't just bolt on a bigger turbo, get it mapped and off you go, you'll need supporting modifications too.

If you're not set on going down that road I'd just buy another standard turbo and enjoy it for what it is.

Also used turbodynamics on my TDO4 14T hybrid rebuilt with a 16G compressor. They're very good.

the power listed on the site says "Estimated Power Output: 360-390 bhp"
i get the cant just fit a bigger turbo bit, to acheive that sort of power id be needing a full exaust and intercooler, what the plan would be as above would be to get the turbo shipped to me, fitted and probably diven for a couple of weeks on standard mapping before taking it to the likes of courtney for a stage 2 tune which would include a modified air intake and downpipe.

i still dont expect to hit 390bhp im thinking 340 ish is much more realistic unless i decide at a later time to do the additional intercooler / exaust work etc

but what do you mean when you say its not worth the risk ? thats what im looking to find out is there problems from running a stage 4 turbo but at lower mapping that what it can max out at ? or is it that it will me more laggier or what ?

this is the link if it helps

http://shop.wgmotorworks.co.uk/inde...oduct&product_id=669&search=astra+j+vxr+turbo

Associate
Your ECU should be OK to keep pulling boost back to standard values. I would at the very least if buying second hand get the waste gate setup properly just in case your ECU doesn't hold it back.

To hit 340hp you need to crack it open and fit forged rods and pistons don't you?

Soldato
How much bigger is that than the standard turbo?

I don't know anything about VX stuff but do you really want to go 'stage 4' as i'm guessing it'll be a fair bit bigger which will mean a lot more lag, also you'd need a ton of supporting stuff done to make use of it. You generally want to fit the smallest turbo you can get to achieve your power goal to give the best drive-ability.

I personally wouldn't drive a car with a substantially different turbo without a remap, if you kept it completely off boost the entire time you may be ok depending on where it starts to spool but there's just so much scope for it going really wrong.

Associate
OP
Your ECU should be OK to keep pulling boost back to standard values. I would at the very least if buying second hand get the waste gate setup properly just in case your ECU doesn't hold it back.

To hit 340hp you need to crack it open and fit forged rods and pistons don't you?
as far as i know or have read the standard engine is fine for that sort of power, let me know if im wrong :0

Associate
OP
i
How much bigger is that than the standard turbo?

I don't know anything about VX stuff but do you really want to go 'stage 4' as i'm guessing it'll be a fair bit bigger which will mean a lot more lag, also you'd need a ton of supporting stuff done to make use of it. You generally want to fit the smallest turbo you can get to achieve your power goal to give the best drive-ability.

I personally wouldn't drive a car with a substantially different turbo without a remap, if you kept it completely off boost the entire time you may be ok depending on where it starts to spool but there's just so much scope for it going really wrong.
the actual turbo is the same size but its hybrid so the fins are a larger diameter? two trains of thought its laggier because its bigger diameter but its not so bad because its lighter ?
its not that i want to go to stage 4 its that its very similar money to the lower stage turbos

Associate
as far as i know or have read the standard engine is fine for that sort of power, let me know if im wrong :0

I don't know an awful lot about Vauxhalls but I'd be very surprised if any standard Vauxhall engine could handle 26psi of boost for prolonged periods of time.

I'd want a reserved map lower down with little boost till things got moving properly to be on the safe side.

Forged rods would be worth it if you're pushing that power and want to keep it for a long time.

Soldato
Yeah a stage 4 level of PSI is going to need a fair bit of engine work to get it to live any amount of life and likely a re-enforced clutch. The turbo itself is not the expensive part usually compared to the rest.

Caporegime
Big turbos sound fantastic but when they come on song at 4.5k rpm it becomes boring on anything other than drag or track. I have a Turbo Technics hybrid on my GT-Four and that doesn't come on song till 3k but will pull all the way to the 7.5k red line. It is quite mild really and still okay on the road. On a daily driver a standard one would be far better for zipping about.

Back
Top Bottom