Help replace me Topping VX1, need USB DAC and speakers terminals?

Associate
Hi all,

My Topping VX1 has died after 2 years so not great, but looking for replacement its seems choice is limited, I need a small desktop amp that has a USB DAC so it can connect straight to my pc and then proper speaker terminals so I can connect my bookshelf speakers...looking around the Topping MX3 looks good and is £100 but any other options?

Thanks for any input...

Soldato
MX3 is probably the best choice if you want a DAC and amp in one unit. Other choices are SMSL Q5 Pro or AD18.

I've got a Q5 Pro, which is very good, but if I had to buy again, I'd likely go for the MX3.

Soldato
My VX1 died some time last year (think it's one of the relays, it turns on but nothing happens and there's no click), I replaced it with the SMSL AD18 and have been very happy. I do miss the simplicity of the VX1 but the SMSL does everything the VX1 did and more.

Caporegime
Is it possible to do this with Schiit some how?

More expensive, but if it lasts longer then it could be cheaper. My VX1 one is still going after 4 years, sounds like I've got lucky.

Soldato
One person's Topping amp fails and what; suddenly the brand is unreliable?

I've got two Topping units that I've had for four or more years; both still in use and working fine.

Schiit are very good, but their products are not immune to failure; no company's products are.

The difference is that Schiit are very popular, so opinions are found on many sites; Topping and SMSL, much less so. Most are very positive which enforces the belief that a brand like Schiit, their products are more reliable. With much less known brands; a couple of people say that their's failed and the impression is that brand is not very reliable. Not to mention USA made compared to China made and the ingrained impression that Chinese built products are poor quality.

Anyway, to the question in hand. Schiit do a speaker amp, but it's £700. Just an amp though; you'd need something like a Modi 3 as well for a DAC.

Associate
OP
I went for the SMSL AD18 in the end as I could get it delivered next day, which was today! So far very happy seems like a much higher spec bit of kit....Thanks for all the advice all!

Back
Top Bottom