BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
anyone know what could be causing this vibration?
/snip
i had the same on my previous car - t'was an auto box. sold (well...p/xed) it pretty pronto.
it got sold on auction to a dealer and then some unlucky chap bought it.
few months on, it doesn't exist on dvla website anymore...god knows what happened to it.

i suspected it might've been that the transmission was wearing out...and for a car of that age, a failed auto box would've basically been a write off...

Imy

Imy

Soldato
anyone know what could be causing this vibration?

2007 E92 330i auto

i get it at low RPM around 1400 up to about 2000 when accelerating.

feels like the whole car is shaking but goes away above 2100ish RPM

It used to only be in higher gears when accelerating from 30mph up to 40mph but today it has been in the odd lower gear, it also doesn't do it every time.

I don't get it at all when at higher, RPM 3000+. If it starts and i ease off it can sometimes stop and can accelerate again without it happening.

Its at 98000 miles now and has been regularly services on what ever it asks for bar the last 2 years but i've only done about 3000 miles in that time. (House saving took a priority)
I recently had a 'whole car vibrating' issue with my late 2006 E63 630i (N52) auto on similar miles. In my case, the EML was on and the code reader (Carly for BMW) said it was a misfire on one of the cylinders. Turned out to be a scored/damaged spark plug. I suspect your issue is something else but thought I'd mention anyway.

Man of Honour
I think just play the podcasts...simples. The phone should automatically send the audio via Bluetooth anyway.
I want to be able to select them through the iDrive. I can select music on my iPhone but not Podcasts. Unless I'm doing something wrong? I don't have Apple CarPlay. I'd have thought there'd be a Podcast menu where Spotify etc is.

Soldato
38mpg on the 23 mile detour'd route to work this morning (in the 140i)!

Quite amazed how economical it can be.......considering........!

Yeah, considering it's pretty economical. On long journey's I can easily see 40mpg average.

I want to be able to select them through the iDrive. I can select music on my iPhone but not Podcasts. Unless I'm doing something wrong? I don't have Apple CarPlay. I'd have thought there'd be a Podcast menu where Spotify etc is.

Plugged in via USB? It might appear as sub menu somewhere in the media menu. Alternatively, if you hold down the voice command button on the steering wheel you should get Siri and be able to ask to play a specific podcast.

Soldato
For what it's worth, despite me still thinking iDrive is the best infotainment system out there - the way some of the media or 'apps' works is a little rough. For instance the Deezer built in app is brilliant, but requires a specific subscription to use it even if you have an existing Deezer subscription (because you're using the car's data connection). Whereas the spotify app connects over USB or Bluetooth and has very limited functionality, and on anrdoid at least is very flakey to the point where I just don't bother with it anymore.

Carplay would probably work out much better for you, you might even be able to get it 'coded' in, and they're still lagging behind in allowing android auto on newer models

Man of Honour
For what it's worth, despite me still thinking iDrive is the best infotainment system out there - the way some of the media or 'apps' works is a little rough. For instance the Deezer built in app is brilliant, but requires a specific subscription to use it even if you have an existing Deezer subscription (because you're using the car's data connection). Whereas the spotify app connects over USB or Bluetooth and has very limited functionality, and on anrdoid at least is very flakey to the point where I just don't bother with it anymore.

Carplay would probably work out much better for you, you might even be able to get it 'coded' in, and they're still lagging behind in allowing android auto on newer models
I've found the online entertainment a bit crap to be honest. Saying that, it's better than Spotify!

I need to get it coded in via a cable apparently, I can't do the USB method. Buying it officially from BMW did show as a valid option, but not since Connected Drive activated fully. I may speak to the dealer about this as it was about the same price as having it coded.

Soldato
Well I'm still on my first tank of fuel from the dealer (which I presume is 95 RON), and the car has only done 150 odd miles. I imagine it will get a bit better with 98 and after the engines loosened up a bit.
I found my M135i's economy began to really pick up noticeably after about 13,000 miles...maybe that was partially due to the novelty of having so much power available also wearing off to an extent as well though! I pretty much only ran mine on 95 RON from where ever was cheapest to begin with, but after about 40,000 miles I found that I could no longer achieve the economy figures I had seen post 13,000 miles.

At this point I switched to filling exclusively on Super Plus (either BP 97 & Shell 98/99), and over the next ~5,000 miles the economy I used to experience came back but I can't say it was better than the early days, only as good. I expect that this was down to the superior engine cleaning properties of the Super Plus fuels cleaning up injectors etc.

I also used to find that it would get fractionally better economy on the BP 97 vs Shell, but maybe this was only my perception and not fact.

Soldato
As I cycle to work, I'm won't be putting lots of miles on it, so I'm happy for a fill to cost me the extra £5-6 for super.

I've just downloaded the Road Trip app to keep a log of my miles and running costs (for fuel), so it'll be interesting to see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom