My worries about moving to Win 10, am i right to worry?

Associate
Right now i'm running legal version of win 7 U x64 which is about 4 years old now and may well want to pull the plug and reinstal 7, now given it's "normal" life is coming to an end soon win 10 is sticking is fat pig head into my eyeline, however i have 2 main issue with 10 and they are updates being done on it's own, and given last few months issues this scares the poop out of me, i mean who fancies losing all their work just a windoze update, and also all this spying/telemetry stuff going on.

I know there are apps out there to stop some of this snooping but i'm sure they will miss some of MS sneaky ways, so are my worries/fears over 10 founded or am i worrying about nothing, having said that the updates have proved to be a nightmare for some folks.

All1

Soldato
Honestly, you're being stupid. It's an OS, like any other, it has it's quirks like they all do but it comes down to educating yourself.

There's enough info out there stating that you can control the updates and the telemetry can be turned right down to basic data such as crash data etc.

Soldato
Windows 10 is by far the best Windows I've used. I'm actually a MacOS man at heart and just use Windows for my gaming rig but Win10 is my fav version. I've had zero problems with it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Install any privacy apps you feel necessary and move on from Win7.

Soldato
10 is easier to use for the simpler folks, but 7 is still a damn good OS - and you have a bit mor control over it
Curently I choose to use 7 still, tried 10 but not a big fan

Soldato
I'm happy with Win10, I abuse mine in many ways, overclocks, registry defrags, manual install of some drivers as well as leave it on auto update for everything , running like it was still new :) .

Right I'm off to play X4 Foundations, I've money to make :D .

Man of Honour
Any machine I want to actually use is still on or back on 7 where I can. I don't get the enthusiasm for 10 people seem to be swayed by newer must be better - I'm still laughing at the big fanfare over the introduction of drop shadows in the latest updates as if it is new and revolutionary... something that was in 7 from the start.

Associate
OP
OK Thanks for the replies folks.
AHarvey i don't think i'm being stupid, i mean i have never had windows 7 update and wipe folders that had years of work in, yes agreed you should back up and i'm covered on that front, by uploading every 24 hours as well as a complete image every day, but lets be honest it's hardly a ringing endorsement for an OS when it does this kind of stuff, i'll stay with 7 for a while, i'm sure i will be able to get updates for a while yet one way or the other, anyway were all entitled to our opinions.

All1

Caporegime
Yep you're right.

Could just do what most do, who are sick of getting their rigs hosed all the time, things broken, being stuck in boot loops, having to revert to their previous versions, this that and the other when it updates, and just don't update it, so staying on an old version.

Im still on 7, as theres no way i could put up with any of that.

The next update for it is coming now too, so the Win 10 threads will have another influx of, my rigs hosed, im stuck in a boot loop, ive had to re-install yet again, its ****** this, its ****** that etc... etc...

All i do is mainly game, and internet, so when 7s up, and they stop updating graphics drivers etc... for it, i'll be getting a console, and the internet, hasn't needed a PC for years now, sorted.

Probably get an influx in here now of, Win 10s great, ive not had a prob blah blah blah :D

Just read the threads, someones just posted now, whos just had their rig ****** by last Octobers update.

I installed 1809 finally on my desktop and guess what? It has caused a lot of problems!

Search bar in the task bar doesn't allow me to input text. All my hdd paths are mixed and screwed up and the icing on the cake is that my lightroom cc which I depend on for work and pleasure crashes as soon as you attempt to launch it ...

I just did a complete revert back to 1803 and that only fixed lightroom cc ...

He's got it all to come with the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that............

Just like the rest of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
My main PC is running Windows 10, my other 7 LAN Gaming PCs are running Windows 10, my HTPC is running Windows 7 (for Windows Media Centre), my laptop runs Windows 10, my tablet runs Windows 10, I'm running 2 Windows 10 machines at work, and 1 Windows 7 machine (some obscure software 8 year old software that doesn't play nice with 10).

I just leave each to manage its own updates, apart from graphics drivers that I get from AMD/Nvidia/Intel, and I've had zero problems with any of them. No files deleted, no boot loops, no blue screens.

All my family run 10 now, and nobody has any issues with it - I'm even getting less IT support calls from my parents!

While I'm not disputing that some people have issues with 10, my personal experience is that it's been as good/stable, if not better, than any other Windows OS. I think it's maybe a case of the ones with issues posting asking questions being noticed more than the majority without who don't post.

Just my experience/opinion.

Soldato
I just did tonights WU updates, boring as usual ie no issues, lot of FUD about Win10, regardless of likes dislikes etc fact is it works fine for most people, those that have issues are in the minority(impossible to have no issues on any OS ie 7,8,10 or even Linux) . Btw I can understand those that want full control of WU updates, personally I don't think Microsoft will allow that, as to drop shadows coming, I personally don't care for that crap but each to their own, as long as the OS is very stable ( in my case, brothers and family it is ) then I'm happy user, it is not about latest is greatest, just as long as it works fine and is stable at the things I throw at it, so I can't complain about 10.

Soldato
empathise - Personally bought a new hard drive to try out windows 10 on, I wanted to isolate that from stable/work win 7 drive, which I swapped out, and maybe duel boot on new drive;
that was when ms realeased 10 update that hid/deleted partitions - decided risk was too great - abandoned 10.

Since then >12 months been using win7 , all updates blocked and have applied NO patches, and had no problems - touch wood
theory ... provided you have good hygiene security patches not needed !
with the availibility of tools to block 10 updates may try again.

Man of Honour
I'm even getting less IT support calls from my parents!

I've actually had the opposite experience with 10 - usually down to 3 common reasons:

-After an update the system boots to the desktop with nothing on it and the only thing possible to open is task manager.
-After an update or at random the Start Menu and/or Windows Explorer becomes very slow and unresponsive often reacting to clicks 30-120 seconds later (supposedly fixed for good in the coming 19xx builds).
-After an update things have been removed, reorganised or moved around by MS confusing older or less tech inclined users who have learnt specific ways to operate the system.

my tablet runs Windows 10

I have 3x Windows 10 tablets and personally find it a nightmare largely related to updates - especially as there is no happy balance really for applying security updates in a timely fashion which is quite important for machines used on the go like that while suppressing feature updates effectively.

Amongst other things waaaay too many times when I've been trying to shutdown to conserve battery life I've had it pop up with a message along the lines of "Applying updates please don't turn off your PC" - seriously whoever is responsible for that needs slapping around the head. And often I turn to my tablets to quickly access information, etc. so turning it on or resuming only to find it runs super slow because update related tasks have kicked in in the background using 70+% CPU and IO is just annoying.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I don't want windows 10 on any of my machines, will stick with 7

But I do want it on as many PC's out in the wild as possible, I like taking money for fixing hosed windows 10 installations off people
thanks MS

Caporegime
https://wccftech.com/windows-10-update-freezes-games-microsoft-recommends-uninstall/

laughing-baby-gif-4.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom