Road Tripping in the USA!

Commissario
Time for me to join this epic thread.

We're planning a trip in September flying to LA, driving up to Vancouver and flying home. One way car hire (for anything somewhat respectable) is proving to be a challenge when looking on Hertz/Avis/Enterprise/Sixt.
I realise driving into Canada is going to make this difficult, but if anyone has done a similar journey or has any tips I'd really appreciate it?

Man of Honour
OP
One way is going to be very difficult cross border like this. My advice would be to either:

a) one way from LA to Seattle, then one way something cheap and crap for one day into Vancouver
b) one way from LA to Seattle then fly train or bus cross border

I one wayed into Seattle from Vancouver and rented from there when I did it.

Commissario
One way is going to be very difficult cross border like this. My advice would be to either:

a) one way from LA to Seattle, then one way something cheap and crap for one day into Vancouver
b) one way from LA to Seattle then fly train or bus cross border

I one wayed into Seattle from Vancouver and rented from there when I did it.
Cool thanks, I suspected that was going to be the best bet. Although finding something nice like a Mustang from LA to Seattle is proving to be impossible, it's only bog standard cars available which won't be much fun :(

Soldato
Could you split the hire up?

It might work better also for you needs - i.e. you could hire a Mustang for say, L.A. to Sacramentoish, then change to an SUV or something a bit more rugged/comfortable for the places with more changeable weather and terrain.

But yeah definitely just drop off in Seattle then get public transport to Vancouver.

Associate
Cool thanks, I suspected that was going to be the best bet. Although finding something nice like a Mustang from LA to Seattle is proving to be impossible, it's only bog standard cars available which won't be much fun :(

I really recommend the train from Seattle to Vancouver, we did it last may and it was awesome! gorgeous views of the coast line and lots of eagles flying around! was well worth it!

We kind did the opposite, we flew to Seattle, then got the train up to vancouver for a few days, then hired an SUV to drive down to San Francisco and then a mustang all the way down to LA/San diego. then flew home from LAX

Permabanned
It's much the same state to state, £379 one-way fee between CA and NJ.

It makes financial sense for Rental car companies to charge this annoyance fee, not sure it makes business sense in
the area of customer satisfaction.

Associate
Thinking of tracking the NHL playoffs via an East coast road trip, the likely teams to get through are: Boston (Bruins), Toronto (MLs), NY (Islanders), Washington (Caps), Pittsburgh (Pens), Columbus (BJs), Montreal (Cans), [Philly (flyers) / Buffalo (Sabres) / Chicago (BHs) - maybes].

I was thinking maybe Toronto -> Montreal -> Boston -> NY -> Pits -> Washington?

Anyone any thoughts on a route for those cities (obfs impossible to know for sure who will make the playoffs so routes getting in as many of them as possible over 3 weeks would be great).

Soldato
We hired a Dodge Charger R/T or similar from Avis last year......ended up with an F-Type Jag! Still......great car to drive, an bloody quick with the V6 engine.

Not quite the American muscle car the misses had in mind though

Soldato
Been out in California for the last 6 weeks (work) I do a few long trips a year, we had a week vacation to Arizona for the last week.

We came back to LA via the 15 through Vegas on Sunday afternoon, I've done that road a few times - but never on a Sunday afternoon, US driving standards are extremely poor compared to EU/UK, but nothing could prepare me for that drive - the worst driving i've ever seen. Essentially - it looked as though half of Vegas was upset they'd thrown all their money away, still drunk/asleep - decided to get back to LA as quickly as possible.

We saw at least 4-5 cars pulled over on the verge with people throwing up, (still half wrecked) several accidents, endless jams, rage, insane high speed lane changing and manoeuvring - we also saw someone we suspect was half asleep at the wheel.

Think I'll avoid that one at that time of the day next time (Jesus wept)

Back
Top Bottom