*** The Custom ROM Thread (Any device) ***

Soldato
I thought it would be great to have a thread just to talk about custom ROMs in general on any device rather than having custom ROM discussion take place in lots of different device threads. I see this as a place to talk about features in custom ROMs, news on custom ROMs and any other information that you think is interesting about custom ROMs.

So let me start it off. What custom ROM do you use and why did you choose that particular ROM?

Soldato
used to be on custom ROMs all the time, these days I stick with stock OS.

did so on my pixel 2 and now sticking with oxygen on my 6T.

the s7 I had before didnt have stock rom for very long, no need for it these days.

Caporegime
A friend is borrowing my Note 4 (the last phone I used ROMs on), I left Dr Ketan's ROM on there and we both really like it. I don't know if he has made versions for future Note phones but if he has, a good chance they are pretty decent.

Soldato
Got a ton of andriod devices in the house - Only one of them, my Samsung Tab S8.4 uses Lineage 14.1 (Nougat) mainly because the stock rom sucks, and the device itself barely has enough GPU power to be used as a daily device these days. It does make for an excellent photo viewer though due to its amoled panel and sd card implementation. I do have a backup phone packed away - a rock solid Oppo Find 5 that runs a Cyanogen build of Android Lollipop.

I used to use ROM's heavily in all my devices but over the years the real need for them has lessened and this includes my free time to faff around installing/updating them I suppose - sodding auto updaters (even in lineage) never worked for me. I think I stopped playing with Root/Roms back after I moved to the Note 4 - the stock OS was stupidly fluid and packed with features that I never really gave a thought about a roms. Nowadays wireless payment systems and Netflix/Amazon Video tend to break when using roms so that is a lesser reason to really use them.

Got nothing but respect for the rom maintainers out there.

Soldato
To be fair with Launchers becoming so flexible and powerful on their own with some additions it's almost negated the need for ROMS now.

If it's made into Launchers/ROMS it might serve a better purpose as some out there do great things with launchers.

Associate
I used to use ROMs back when they would add a million and four extras that weren't feasible any other way.

Now I've stuck with stock but do root it and have a script to remove bloat if I install any updates.

Soldato
OP
I'm waiting until I upgrade my OnePlus 6 to install a custom ROM on it and then I'll use my new phone with the stock Android that it comes with. I've always wanted a phone. I could play around with and not worry about breaking something critical.

Edit: I might try and install Android on my Amazon Kindle Fire HD tablet. If it works, it'll be an awesome tablet for the money. I've already sideloaded the Google App Store but having full Android would be so much better.

Soldato
I'm running AquariOS on my OnePlus 6. The reason being that 2 of the guys that build it were part of the old Candy ROM team from when I tested that on my Nexus 4. So I now test AquariOS for them.

Soldato
OP
I'm thinking of buying a cheap Android phone just so I can play around with custom ROMs and not have to worry about bricking my main phone. Can anyone recommend a good Android phone for around £200 that would be good as an Android custom ROM device?

Edit: I know I posted that I would upgrade my OnePlus 6 and then use that above but I thought it would be better to just use a dedicated phone for Android ROMs.

Soldato
Just find a phone that has good dev support and an easily unlockable bootloader. Any OnePlus phone is a good bet. Or any Nexus or Pixel devices. And I think some Xiaomi phones have good support.

Associate
To be fair with Launchers becoming so flexible and powerful on their own with some additions it's almost negated the need for ROMS now.

If it's made into Launchers/ROMS it might serve a better purpose as some out there do great things with launchers.

Not really.
I'm running a custom rom, android 7 on a tablet that didn't get any updates beyond 4.4.
A launcher replacement wouldn't have made any difference, I know that because i use Nova on all my devices.
A custom rom or a launcher are completely different things

Associate
I've always wanted to use stock android on non-pixel flagships. Have the Note 9 at the moment and absolutely detest all the bloatware.

But I don't really understand rooting, roms, and what the implications of doing so are. Like, can you simply root/format a Note 9 and put the latest version of stock android on it and all of its functions will work automatically? (e.g. edge panel)

Soldato
I used to 'Root n ROM' my phones, but after finding a custom ROM negatively impacted the performance of my old Pixel's camera, I returned that to stock and never bothered after that.

My S9+ is on the standard ROM now, albeit, I installed the latest update before Vodafone released it - I have used scripts to remove some of the bloat, and use Nova as the launcher; this setup is perfect for me and leaves me wanting for nothing.

I used to love the Paranoid Android ROMS and would eagerly await them, but as I have gotten older, I have gotten lazier and more inclined to stick with stability, over tonnes of tweaks and features, I'd probably not use.

Soldato
Used to build my own roms on XDA a few years ago. Think I made a popular one on here if memory serves.
Tend not to bother now to be honest. Most of the newer phones are quite stock(ish).

Back
Top Bottom