What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
How did you find doing the 14mm top mount bolts? I used some drop spanners but access was tight and you can only tighten to what you think is right. Did both my fronts except the springs 2 years ago (can't think why I left the springs now seeing as I did the lot) and still on there good though.

Once i had the springs tight down, i just used my impact gun to give it a once over, then took the spings off. Worked fine!

Tea Drinker
Don
4 new tyres. Last set lasted 50k. Wow the noise difference, the incremental increase in road noise as they wear I didn't notice, like a different motor.

Wash off the soap tomorrow and give it a wash.

JryxywV.jpg

Soldato
Holy tire whine batman!

I'm sticking with my Michelin LTX that came with it, 36k miles and still plenty of tread.. and they hook up fairly well (road tire, useless offroad, but then so is my 2 wheel drive wonder)

Caporegime
Accumulated all the parts I need to de-luxury-ify the MX5 (lol)

AC, electric windows, and power steering in the bin.

Hello manual steering, manual windows, and a fan.

Should save a bit of weight and reduce the mechanical drag on the engine.

Basically my power steering rack is junk and MX5 electric windows are rubbish... The AC doesn't work and isn't needed because, well, its a convertible.

Also bought some TSI's to replace my busted side lights, and I think I'll bin off the NS2R's because I want to try the new Toyo TR1's, and the profile on the Nankangs is 2 sizes too high. 195 60 instead of 195 50.

Soldato
Threw some polyurethane bushings on my control arms today, cannot believe the additional control it provides. My rubber bushings were so brittle the ride quality actually feels better somehow but I just didn't expect to feel such a major positive difference.

I'll throw it around Pacific Highway next week and really see how much of this honeymoon period remains.

Tea Drinker
Don
Holy tire whine batman!

I'm sticking with my Michelin LTX that came with it, 36k miles and still plenty of tread.. and they hook up fairly well (road tire, useless offroad, but then so is my 2 wheel drive wonder)

The BFGs are really good. Very quiet. The 15" versions I had months hilux we're very noisy these 18s are a new compound bit more modern.

Man of Honour
Thought it'd be a good idea to stick the MX5 near a dyno with change in ECU and going from Speed Density to MAF on the fuel side of things. Tends to be a bit of a heartbreaker but a decent improvement over last time I was there with it.

tL3xxOL.jpg

MUYysCQ.jpg

Quite difference between the "max effort" tune vs "low" boost too
mMehWYU.jpg

Caporegime
Booked the shedx5 in for its first MOT in my ownership. Friday is its day of reckoning.

Fitted new front indicators (TSI's), new front plate, a new wiper blade, and given it a general once over... Its scruffy, but I'm fairly confident its MOT worthy. We shall soon see. :)

If it passes I might reward it by servicing it... :p I think it has 6 year old oil in it at the moment. Only 4000~ miles on it and it still looks golden brown on the stick, but 6 years old all the same. Oh and I'll replace the dry squeaky creaky front upper ball joint too... Because its driving me insane.

Oh and I found a 1 yen coin under the boot carpet. Must have been in there for at least 15 - 20 years.

£0.0068... I'm rich!! :D

Caporegime
Booked the shedx5 in for its first MOT in my ownership. Friday is its day of reckoning.

Fitted new front indicators (TSI's), new front plate, a new wiper blade, and given it a general once over... Its scruffy, but I'm fairly confident its MOT worthy. We shall soon see. :)

If it passes I might reward it by servicing it... :p I think it has 6 year old oil in it at the moment. Only 4000~ miles on it and it still looks golden brown on the stick, but 6 years old all the same. Oh and I'll replace the dry squeaky creaky front upper ball joint too... Because its driving me insane.

Oh and I found a 1 yen coin under the boot carpet. Must have been in there for at least 15 - 20 years.

£0.0068... I'm rich!! :D

I have 3 yen in my car too :p They are really weird coins, light as plastic.

Soldato
Trial fitting of my new Thule Wingbars.

Although the 3008SUV has masses of room for use two, there are times for family hols with the in-laws ) plus two sets of fishing gear that gets a little cramp.

Soldato
Ripped out my centre control unit, is an absolute pain to get out but let me re-seat all the connections.

The reversing camera has been buggy since I got it, it's now working reliably :)

Soldato
Picked the Range Rover up from the garage after asking for a full service and check over. They did the following:
Replaced 2 wheel bearings
Changed oil and filter of engine and gearbox
Changed brake disks and pads
Cleaned the injectors
Replaced the throttle body
Replaced a few bushes and suspension joints
Serviced the steering rack (think this was basically just re-greasing some parts and replacing the rubber covers)

Total labour for all that lot was the equivalent of about £100 - living in Mexico has it's advantages :p

Parts were obviously a fair bit more, but I've still got change out of £600 for the whole lot which I'm very happy about. A lot of it didn't need doing urgently: there was still probably 10-20% life left in the brakes, and the engine oil was last changed less than 10k miles ago, but thought it'd be easier to get it all done in one go.

Soldato
Following up from this. Dropped it off this morning at 7.30am, just picked it up.

- HPFP replaced, along with pressure hose and tubing.
- Oil Solenoid fixed, along with other seals and part of wiring loom changed with an updated part to prevent anything happening in the future.

Main offender - Fuel Pump (with the blue dot on top)

Q6IYwDG.jpg

Came out a bit cheaper than expect as they added more of a discount which I was thankfull for:

RXWRqEJ.jpg

Glad the car is running properly now and has a completely clean bill of health, may end up getting rid in the next year or so though:

2ibY9aF.jpg

My son had the same issue with his 208 GTI, same engine, same pump. We pushed Peugeot head office into paying for the pump and pipes - we ended up just paying for the labour which was £330. The Peugeot mechanic left us a present as well, a stubby 14mm spanner left in the engine bay.

Caporegime
S60 T5 purchased. The history file is insane, 2 owners from new, overall decent condition, drove home 120 miles with no issues, sounds great, pulls great, everything I tried worked fine.

Bought plugs and filters and oil etc to do a stage 0 on it as its been sitting for a while, and some new tyres as the fitted ones are ditch finders. Brand new matched set bought to sell the car with, but I don't want to leave them on... Someone will buy them I'm sure!

Juddered on idle and stalled a few times but a quick clean of the air sensor and its perfect now.

Now just need a couple of interior trims to tidy it up and I'm happy.

Turning circle is appalling.

Last edited:
Caporegime
S60 T5 purchased. The history file is insane, 2 owners from new, overall decent condition, drove home 120 miles with no issues, sounds great, pulls great, everything I tried worked fine.

Bought plugs and filters and oil etc to do a stage 0 on it as its been sitting for a while, and some new tyres as the fitted ones are ditch finders. Brand new matched set bought to sell the car with, but I don't want to leave them on... Someone will buy them I'm sure!

Nice to hear, pics?

Soldato

Nice motors the S60s, but damn, how many cars have you had within the last year or two? :D

Caporegime
A few. Ive had 10 cars in 5 years. But I had my first car for 2 years.

And I haven't actually taken any pictures of it yet. Possibly tomorrow. :) But its nothing special, just an average condition old volvo. The only difference being its quite rare in T5 manual format.

Soldato

Juddered on idle and stalled a few times but a quick clean of the air sensor and its perfect now.

What plugs? These engines run like a bag of nails on the wrong ones. Also that's not a stage 0, that's just a normal service. Stage 0 would include fuel filter, PCV lines and a vac lines, trans fluid, and coils on top of what you've bought.

Definitely test your PCV ASAP too, they can cause absolute havoc when they go. Stick a latex or nitrile glove over the oil filler and start the car. If it inflates then you need to change your PCV. If it only partially inflates then repeat at 1500 revs - if it now gets sucked in then your PCV is OK for now but will need replacing in near future.

Interior parts wise, again get on those Facebook pages I spoke to you about. Stephen Sawdy (something like that) and DEAN Wood break a lot of P2s.

Did warn you about the turning circle! :p

Back
Top Bottom