LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
T8 replacement led tubes, used in offices, are a bit more efficient 24W->3700lm, but unfortunately seemingly ~£20 non-commercially ...upfront, leds ain't cheap

still looking for high lumen led rx7's uplighters though
I don't think they are available, ...
am using a philips r7s 4K metal-halide light 6000Lm 70W ... but best 'reliable' led brand I found, still in my basket, is pultry 2000Lm

Associate
LAP have flicker I found.

Ah, noted! Thanks.

diimmable ? but for angle you need to look for smd ones .. if the bulb is genuinely flush with the surface .

below in 3k, or ... I also posted a non-dimmable - search smd
2 of my 6 hyperikon gu10's spots blew .. vendor refunded.

Oops, forgot the obvious - yep non-dimmable.

- Non-dimmable GU10
- 3/4/5W (about 350-400 lumens)
- Warm white (about 3000K)
- Wider beam angle (> 60 degrees)

I would consider the ones from TLC direct, but they seem quite expensive (10 for £45 inc VAT).

Soldato
I would consider the ones from TLC direct, but they seem quite expensive (10 for £45 inc VAT).
you can find smd ones which look physically the same on alibaba (foxconn) for £2 .. but i've had failure on other bulbs from alibaba so am more of the mind pay more and have a minimum 2year guarantee - alibaba maybe 2nds from factory

those led's also use a more recent , more efficient chip 2835

I currently rule out both osram and philips gu10's due to dimming reputation, which is probably indicative of non-dimmable quality,

.. Hyperikon had 5year guarantee, they went, in the more closed bathroom fittings, probably poor bulb heat dissipation. ... need to judge bulb quality by the weight of metal for heat dissipation

Associate
If anybody is looking for an led battern light then take a look at this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-TAC-Fitt...ft+led+batten+light&psc=1&smid=A38YA4HEE0LLY5

Just had one delivered today and holy moly it’s bright! I brought a different one just before I found this one with the intention of hooking them both up in the garage, wish I didn’t bother as I can’t see me needing 2.

just bought two of the 4ft ones for my double garage might do a before and after comparison. currently its got some old florescent tube lights and an 10w LED floodlight aimed at my work bench but if these are as good as they sound I may be able to move that floodlight somewhere else

Last edited:
Permabanned
just bought two of the 4ft ones for my double garage might do a before and after comparison. currently its good some old florescent tube lights and an 10w LED floodlight aimed at my work bench but if these are as good as they sound I may be able to move that floodlight somewhere else
Well I brought a different style twin T8 tubed battern which I got around to fit today.
https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial...ts/ip65-4ft-1200mm-with-pc-diffuser-twin.html

Which has 2 of these tubes. https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial...e-lights/st8p-1-2m-16-2w-865-220-240v-em.html

The V-tac one is without a doubt brighter which my mrs also agrees, I wired them into 13amp plug sockets in the front room and you can notice quite a difference.

So I mounted the twin tube to the ceiling in the garage and it seems to do a better job at lighting the garage than the V-tac which is strange because as I said it without a doubt throws out a brighter light, the only difference I think is that the twin tube has a wider beam angle so it throws the light out further either side.

Which one did you get 40w or 50w? I’m not sure if two will be enough for your double garage but one seems to do the job in mine and two will light up the whole garage very well. You may need an extra or 2.

All in all considering the price of the V-tac im still quite amazed at the amount of light it puts out for the price and wouldn’t hesitate to buy more in the future.

Soldato
you can find smd ones which look physically the same on alibaba (foxconn) for £2 .. but i've had failure on other bulbs from alibaba so am more of the mind pay more and have a minimum 2year guarantee - alibaba maybe 2nds from factory

those led's also use a more recent , more efficient chip 2835

I currently rule out both osram and philips gu10's due to dimming reputation, which is probably indicative of non-dimmable quality,

.. Hyperikon had 5year guarantee, they went, in the more closed bathroom fittings, probably poor bulb heat dissipation. ... need to judge bulb quality by the weight of metal for heat dissipation

I'm running Osram GU10 and they dim much better than my previous bulbs, I'm really happy with them. They are 7.2w, specifically part number 4058075056664. I paid just under £5 each but that shop no longer stocks them.

Soldato
I'm running Osram GU10 and they dim much better than my previous bulbs

interesting - with a varilght vpro ?

earlier post i made
I don't know about a dimmer anymore, varlight vpro seems to monopolise market but (see chart i posted) osram says they don't have a good dimming range,
and may need one of these too https://www.varilight.co.uk/configurator/product.php?code=YAGF-P
(I had thought they were a no brainer)

Well I brought a different style twin T8 tubed battern which I got around to fit today.
https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial...ts/ip65-4ft-1200mm-with-pc-diffuser-twin.html
I subsequently looked up the philips t8 price from my post
https://www.any-lamp.co.uk/philips-...master-daylight-incl-led-starter-replaces-36w
2 - 4' tubes 5000lm £10each - cheaper than i thought.

Associate

Which has 2 of these tubes. https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial...e-lights/st8p-1-2m-16-2w-865-220-240v-em.html

The V-tac one is without a doubt brighter which my mrs also agrees, I wired them into 13amp plug sockets in the front room and you can notice quite a difference.

So I mounted the twin tube to the ceiling in the garage and it seems to do a better job at lighting the garage than the V-tac which is strange because as I said it without a doubt throws out a brighter light, the only difference I think is that the twin tube has a wider beam angle so it throws the light out further either side.

Which one did you get 40w or 50w? I’m not sure if two will be enough for your double garage but one seems to do the job in mine and two will light up the whole garage very well. You may need an extra or 2.

All in all considering the price of the V-tac im still quite amazed at the amount of light it puts out for the price and wouldn’t hesitate to buy more in the future.

Thanks for the info I went for the 40w ones, currently the tubes i have are fitted at 90 degrees to the rafters so they span around 4 rafters my plan is to put up some 9mm osb and paint that white and then run the two vtac lights parallel to the rafters so i could in theory fit another two in easily but will decide on that once I get them up and running.

Associate
So installed the two I got just roughly for the time being. They are currently in the middle of the double garage and I think your right I will be ordering another two as using two centrally the corners of the garage are a little dark so two per side is the way forward i feel. Also will get some scrap ply to mount them to as they do flex a little

Associate
So here is a quick video of two of those V TAC 40W 4800Lm led lights installed in my double garage. They replaced two old 70w T8 tubes. I'm happy for the time being with them although i think i will add a third in and make them run parallel with the joists by mounting them on so ply or something. Video shot and edited quickly on phone so not the best I'm afraid also excuse the messy garage after 6 months we still havent sorted out all the crap from the house move

https://youtu.be/YwznwVL0CZc

Last edited:
Soldato
Just out of curiosity what is a electronic ballast? I can only assume it’s for light fittings without a starter?
afaik , so you can re-use an old t8 fitting with a led, it's just a placebo, filling the old starter place ... I hadn't appreciated you, indeed, replaced t8 fittings

Soldato

edit: fix maths
so had 2 of these gu10 hyperikons fail after 14 months, and then a 3rd last night in the kitchen, 2weeks later.
They have different usage patterns, kitchen probably seen 3000 hours, switched on most of evenings ... bathroom much less, turned on 'occassionally'

so do they fail based on switch-on events or power on hours ? regular amazon price was ~£2.50

Last edited:
Soldato
after discussion on v-tac brand, seems they have two year warranty, and are also sold by CPCfarnell,
where you can buy a few bulbs in small quantities from different makers, P&P more reasonable than most too.

for gu10, saw these interesting comments about wide 110degree angle smd bulbs, which I had not considered, cheaper to manufacture with no optics, and may glare too.
so will probably stay with narrower focussed <40degree spots for kitchen/bathroom ?
eg https://cpc.farnell.com/v-tac/166-vt-277/lamp-led-7w-gu10-4000k/dp/LP11397

I would like these https://www.v-tac.eu/led-lights/lig...0-plastic-lens-cover-4000k-cri-95-detail.html
but cannot find a uk seller ?

Wide beam angle downlights are generally fitted with a diffuser that is flush with the ceiling, and the LED chips are very close to the diffuser. This results in very high glare. Glare is generally problematic and is considered to be a cause of headaches, migraines and ocular strain. It also makes rooms appear smaller, as your eye is drawn to the glare source, rather than the full dimension of the room.

I agree that it is good lighting design practice to throw light on walls and the ceiling, and in fact this is my preferred way of lighting circulation spaces, but this is best done using other methods, such as wall mounted up lights, ceiling recessed wall-washers/gimbles, floor lamps, pendants or cove lighting.

As a general rule I do not use wide beam (>60 deg) recessed downlights except for sometimes in bathrooms, store rooms, corridors etc - rooms where you don't spend a lot of time and where you just want light all over the place.

Caporegime
I've heard that transformers meant for halogen 12v lamps can cause their LED equivalents to fail prematurely, or flicker, is there any way to know if my transformer is OK to use with LEDs?

Caporegime
Me again, having found some MR16s, I want to replace the ES bulbs in my dome ceiling lights, the problem is normal LED bulbs look stupid because of the large collar you typically have which creates a big shadow in the dome, what other options are there?

Back
Top Bottom