Bioware's Anthem

Soldato
Lots of people have really enjoyed it it seems, but it is a new Industry-norm of 'Half arsed, unfinished, as-little-effort-and-content-as-we-think-we-can-get-away-with' game. And to think they were talking about a 10 year life-span, it'll be dead in 10 months.

So 6 years of dev wasted (not that I believe for a minute they spent 6 years on it).
I wouldn't be surprised if along the line we learn that game development got rebooted at some point.

Associate
Lots of people have really enjoyed it it seems, but it is a new Industry-norm of 'Half arsed, unfinished, as-little-effort-and-content-as-we-think-we-can-get-away-with' game. And to think they were talking about a 10 year life-span, it'll be dead in 10 months.

So 6 years of dev wasted (not that I believe for a minute they spent 6 years on it).

I think it depends on if you just take the word of reviewers who's whole business model is based around, or at least it is when they get the most traffic, negativity. Look at Angry Joe's Anthem review, over 3 million views. Fallout 76, 4.7m. Resident Evil remake which he liked, 1.7m. I don't think his reviews are bogus, but negativity sells or at least the exaggeration of negativity when there is any to jump on.

Having finished the campaign and side missions and loads of factions missions, I didn't find any of it half arsed or that it had as little effort as possible put into it. It's not all amazing, but the writing ranges from great to average, as does the voice acting. It looks lovely but there is not enough biome variety. Navigating the world is amazing and combat solid. There is a solid story driven space shooter there but it's no Mass Effect.

The PS4 issue is unacceptable and the loading screens another problem (although running it on an SSD I barely noticed them). Weapons coming with odd mods on them is really not the end of the world and easily fixed. If you wanted the game to come out of the traps with loads of end game content it doesn't have that. Have any of these games though? I haven't played any of the Destiny games. Was the genre's darling Warframe awash with end game content when it first came out? No idea.

IMHO it's been a good enough experience for the money and I've barely touched the grindy looty side which I am looking forward to. I expect it will get better with time as well.

Associate
The audio kept calling it a crystal...but the game definitely wanted me to destroy this 'temporary stand-in asset'. These temporary stand in assets must be very dangerous - as we had to destroy it quickly before it multiplied
2019-03-09-4.png

Associate
Patch Details
https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/anthem/news/patch-103

Problem with Bioware is EA. Not sure how many people read up on what happened with MEA. First issue was that EA is forcing everyone to use the Frostbite Engine, this means that developers have spent more time trying to make their games use Frostbite than actually... developing. All the Tools that Bioware could have used to make everything **** easy could not be used. Esentially like trying to eat a plate of spaghetti/pasta with a spoon or something stupid like that.
Anthem has a lot of ME3 and MEA in it. That is why it is so easy for most people to play and understand, look and feel is familiar.

Anyhow, like I said, are you having fun now? TD1 was dead after a few months too. TD2 will probably do the same.

Game Question:
Does anyone actually use Shotguns? They seem pretty crap compared to the other weapons. In Mass Effect they were doing some serious damage up close.

Associate
Patch Details
https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/anthem/news/patch-103

Problem with Bioware is EA. Not sure how many people read up on what happened with MEA. First issue was that EA is forcing everyone to use the Frostbite Engine, this means that developers have spent more time trying to make their games use Frostbite than actually... developing. All the Tools that Bioware could have used to make everything **** easy could not be used. Esentially like trying to eat a plate of spaghetti/pasta with a spoon or something stupid like that.
Anthem has a lot of ME3 and MEA in it. That is why it is so easy for most people to play and understand, look and feel is familiar.

Anyhow, like I said, are you having fun now? TD1 was dead after a few months too. TD2 will probably do the same.

Game Question:
Does anyone actually use Shotguns? They seem pretty crap compared to the other weapons. In Mass Effect they were doing some serious damage up close.

TD1 wasnt dead,especially after 1.4 when they totally "remade" game.
TD2 had more content in they Beta than Anthem full,you clearly didnt see anything about TD2,especially end game,there is simply no competition.Yes,i played Anthem

Last edited:
Soldato
The PS4 issue is unacceptable and the loading screens another problem (although running it on an SSD I barely noticed them). Weapons coming with odd mods on them is really not the end of the world and easily fixed. If you wanted the game to come out of the traps with loads of end game content it doesn't have that. Have any of these games though? I haven't played any of the Destiny games. Was the genre's darling Warframe awash with end game content when it first came out? No idea.

IMHO it's been a good enough experience for the money and I've barely touched the grindy looty side which I am looking forward to. I expect it will get better with time as well.

What loot? All the weapons look and feel the same. That was one of my major gripes, the loot is garbage, I could have put up with the loading screens if the rest of the game was actually good.

Destinys release was also shocking but that game still somehow managed to keep me playing for at least a few months.

Associate
What loot? All the weapons look and feel the same. That was one of my major gripes, the loot is garbage, I could have put up with the loading screens if the rest of the game was actually good.

Destinys release was also shocking but that game still somehow managed to keep me playing for at least a few months.

In my experience a shotgun didn't feel like a pistol and a pistol didn't feel like a sniper rifle. Not sure what you mean. The model's for the guns are limited but when I'm shooing things I don't notice anyway.

I've enjoyed it, you haven't. C'est la vie.

Associate
In my experience a shotgun didn't feel like a pistol and a pistol didn't feel like a sniper rifle. Not sure what you mean. The model's for the guns are limited but when I'm shooing things I don't notice anyway.

I've enjoyed it, you haven't. C'est la vie.

Agreed, and there is a difference between normal and orange/yellow loot. They also look different. The game has a lot of flaws, all aside for me it is the lack of stats screen and that you cannot type a message to tell idiots what to do, instead of dying or not doing what they are supposed to do. I love the people that carry mission objectives, and they decide to take on the whole armada instead of going to drop it off.

I got 100 hours and still have plenty to do. I didn't burn through the game at a fast pace, a lot of those hours were also spent on customising each javelin. I didn't hit the issues that a lot of people, apparently did. If they keep rolling patches to fix issues and add new things, great. I did play TD1 from the beginning and I really don't see what other people see. The content was just as limited once you went through the main story. Sure they added some new end game stuff but Anthem has 3 Strongholds, Division had only 1.

Not to compare apples and oranges but can you even compare the freedom of movement to that of TD, or other games out there? You know the game in which you CANNOT Jump? Your character is stuck on rails, sure you can climb stuff, but that only means that the rails go up too. At least here I can approach the same mission in 1000 different ways, I am not forced to ONLY go that Way. Where other games focus on the horizontal, Anthem had to also make sure that vertically the game was sound.

I guess that you either like it or you don't. I love the feel of the game, not many games out there that this can compare to. Density might be great but the FPS Camera only means that people like me, that have motion sickness will hate the game. Almost threw all my insides playing Dying Light, but I powered through and finished off with my mates coop. Not to mention the fact that in Destiny you loot all this great gear only to NEVER be able to see it since there is no 3rd person camera. Sorry, you can see it in the Inventory menu right? I don't play the game so... not sure how it works. As a loot game, I wanna see my $h*t. This is why in RPG games, most of the time I like to make a female character, if I am looking at a bum for the next 1000 hours, might as well be a nice one:eek::D

I really hope that the game pull through and that it will keep getting the love that it deserves from EA and BioWare. Ideally more content, new Javelins etc.

Last edited:
Associate
In the first Incursion in TD1 it was easy to go out of bounds, run a macro and go afk to kill the boss. Also remember that if you wiped, you had to start from the very beginning; personally I didn't find it fun. I'll be watching TD2 closely but fear it's been far to hyped now.

Physically, yes, a lot of the guns are very similar but shooting them feels different to me. Plus, autocannons rock, I just need to get better rolls :D If they sort out the loot issues and make more cosmetics available I'll be happy.

Associate
Loot is still the same between gm1-3. The higher levels do still have the higher drop chance but from what I'm seeing there's still little point in going past gm1. Voice chat does work, I don't remember if it's disabled by default though.

Soldato
It's depressing looking at the reddit, majority of the upvoted threads are about the latest loot fiasco where Bioware again accidentally broke drop rates to a level that everyone found fun, then immediately nerfed the rates back to normal and now everyone seems to be begging for the broken loot rates.

BW are doing a good job digging their own graves though

Soldato
Ooof, last post was 4 days ago and likely for good reason.
So guess what the next big issues is? https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...rscaling_why_loot_doesnt_matter_anymore_math/

For me, there's just no point in playing something that has such deeply ingrained and widespread flaws - loot games are about loot and feeling more powerful as you play, rinse repeat it's a basic design diablo laid out over 20 years ago.
I haven't played this in a little over a week now, it's obvious this was just slapped together with scotch tape and spit.

I don't think a single thing has worked properly, from items (damage/inscriptions), audio(dropping), gameplay mechanics (literally everything you could imagine), ui, matchmaking.... it goes on.
And of all things the loot, where it takes mere hours to "nerf" it but when it comes to making it better they need to take weeks to sit down and think about it.

At this rate I feel anyone who plays it must be a masochist!
It's sad, I think in months or a year to come people will look back at this as something that could have been, there's something good underneath but it feels like they need to be in full development to fix this.

Back
Top Bottom