**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Has anyone changed (or considered changing) from the OnePlus 6t to the S10e?
That's the boat I'm in currently. I've not been with Samsung since the S6 edge although I tried the Note 9 but I just couldn't like it no matter how hard I tried.

I have a few issues with Samsung (all the common ones) but one of my main gripes was the curved displays, I hate them. So when the S10e came along I suspected it could be a game changer. I've had a go on one in-store and I have to say it is very nice indeed.

I usually do prefer larger display phones but after years of S6 edge+, Pixel XL and 2XL then 6t I think I could be ready to go for something that is actually usable one handed. Somewhere pre my S6 edge+ I had a Sony z3 compact and I loved that little guy!

Caporegime
Jesus. Stop over thinking this stuff. The guys who make batteries have phds n stuff.

Yes, and where do you think the recommendations come from? Charging it to 80% is proven to be the optimum level to prolong the life of batteries while not giving up too much juice. Even Tesla recommends 80% for its car batteries, and my Asus laptop comes with a setting that automatically cuts off charging once it reaches that point.

I only do it because my last phone battery was ruined in under a year after charging it fully all the time and always leaving it plugged in overnight. I don't change my phone every 6 months or whatever so I'd like it to remain decent for at least a few years.

Soldato
Yes, and where do you think the recommendations come from? Charging it to 80% is proven to be the optimum level to prolong the life of batteries while not giving up too much juice. Even Tesla recommends 80% for its car batteries, and my Asus laptop comes with a setting that automatically cuts off charging once it reaches that point.

I only do it because my last phone battery was ruined in under a year after charging it fully all the time and always leaving it plugged in overnight. I don't change my phone every 6 months or whatever so I'd like it to remain decent for at least a few years.

Plugged my oneplus 5 in overnight for over a year, it still has great battery life today. If what you say is the case surely I would have noticed a sizeable drop in stamina.

Associate
Plugged my oneplus 5 in overnight for over a year, it still has great battery life today. If what you say is the case surely I would have noticed a sizeable drop in stamina.

My 3 year old S7 Edge is also on the charger every night (as well as every time Im in the car, for a topup), battery is still brilliant and I am reluctantly upgrading to the S10.

Soldato
Got my switch email, apparently the screen on my s7 edge has started to lift and they want £25.

Pretty shoddy on a phone that's less than 2 yrs old and has lived in a case all it's life. Not a mark on the rest of the phone and tbh I never noticed the screen lifting when I looked it over before sending it off.

Annoyed.

Soldato
Got my switch email, apparently the screen on my s7 edge has started to lift and they want £25.

Pretty shoddy on a phone that's less than 2 yrs old and has lived in a case all it's life. Not a mark on the rest of the phone and tbh I never noticed the screen lifting when I looked it over before sending it off.

Annoyed.

Did they send you photos?

Associate
Battery tip: Adaptive Power Mode is disabled out of the box! Enabling it will offer greatly increased battery life to an already fantastic battery performer.

"Together with Android Pie's other power management features, users are reporting some remarkable battery life improvements since enabling Adaptive Battery. As someone who prioritizes battery capacity above all else, I'm looking forward to joining the club ... as I have only just started using Adaptive Battery on my Pie-updated Google Pixel, it's too early to say if there's been any marked improvement.

As battery battery capacity is often the kind of thing people only pay attention to if it's discharging at an abnormal rate, it's possible you'll never notice Adaptive Battery in action, but that's half the point — it does its job silently in the background, meaning less time spent worrying about howyou use your phone and more time actually using it."

For some unknown reason, Samsung disables this out of the box but it offers dramatic battery improvements: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...ill-drastically-improve-battery-life-0194598/

Caporegime
OP
So now the dust has settled, how is every one finding their S10s?

The Mrs is very happy with her S10e, whilst my camera is great on my Note 9 - the S10e keeps pipping it in a number of conditions :mad:!

One of the best bang for buck purchases proving you don't need to spend >£1,000 to get the latest phone.

Associate
I'm enjoying mine, But the fingerprint scanner on the S10 is a right ballache. Sometimes it unlocks instantly and other times its like 6 tries to get it right. I've done the phone update, turned on high sensitivity on the screen and registered the thumb 4 times and at different angles. Crossed my mind about returning it today for a refund as living with it being inconsistant for 2 years has be worried.

Associate
I'm enjoying mine, But the fingerprint scanner on the S10 is a right ballache. Sometimes it unlocks instantly and other times its like 6 tries to get it right. I've done the phone update, turned on high sensitivity on the screen and registered the thumb 4 times and at different angles. Crossed my mind about returning it today for a refund as living with it being inconsistant for 2 years has be worried.

I watched a load of reviews on the S10 at the weekend, and the one thing they consistently brought up was how poor that finger print reader was, and I must admit, that is one thing that would personally drive me mad.

The other thing I took home was that if anything, the S10e is the best of the bunch! I generally prefer larger phones, but there is something about it. No in-screen FP reader, no daft curve on the screen etc. Looks a good buy.

Associate
I also was a little frustrated with the fingerprint scanner but since I added and registered thumb print again at an angle ( natural position) it has worked literally every time for me. I can now say I'm satisfied with it. Some have reported that removing the screen protector helps as well so it might be worth trying.

Back
Top Bottom