Laser Eye Surgery

Sgarrista
Commissario
Hi guys

I’m looking to have LASIK iDesign from OE. However, I’m just a little nervous.

My vision with glasses is perfect. But, I’d like to be without them.

Is it worth me getting it done?

Are the results as good or better than glasses?

Are words still sharp?

Which bit of my prescription will let you know if I’ll benefit much?

Depending on the final correction, you may end up better than you did with glasses, I did.

All this will be discussed with you at your pre-op screening and diagnostics.

Associate
I’ve had the free consultation and they said no problems. I’m just a little anxious with it being something as delicate as my eyes. Probably doesn’t do me any favours reading the negatives on the internet. I read people saying “my eyes are +this or negative that” I’m not sure what they’re referring to. Is it the SPH or CYL? I’m not sure what one would constitute as bad eyes. I’m looking at my prescription from the iScan and have no idea what any of it means.

Soldato
I’ve had the free consultation and they said no problems. I’m just a little anxious with it being something as delicate as my eyes. Probably doesn’t do me any favours reading the negatives on the internet. I read people saying “my eyes are +this or negative that” I’m not sure what they’re referring to. Is it the SPH or CYL? I’m not sure what one would constitute as bad eyes. I’m looking at my prescription from the iScan and have no idea what any of it means.

The moe - you are the worse your vision is . I al -5 and -7, i’ve been told my left eye is still good enough to have lasered, but i don’t fancy it. I al happy enough with glasses.

Man of Honour
Anyone had this done recently or the last few years?

If I went ahead the only place id be getting it done is the London Vision Clinic as people are sent here when other places have messed up!!

Probably the new relex smile procedure (Totally flapless procedure) much quicker healing time

https://www.londonvisionclinic.com/...-prk-lasik-and-relex-smile-laser-eye-surgery/

For those who have had it done, any regrets? Any ongoing problems? Dry eyes or halos at night etc

My wife has this done. Her eyes were too rubbish to fully correct (started at around -10 I believe), but there were none of the possible side effects (some halos for a month or two). What surprised me was how quickly they did it. Basically means she doesn’t need contact lenses anymore, so her eyes are far less dry than before the procedure.

Soldato
Hi guys

I’m looking to have LASIK iDesign from OE. However, I’m just a little nervous.

My vision with glasses is perfect. But, I’d like to be without them.

Is it worth me getting it done?

Are the results as good or better than glasses?

Are words still sharp?

Which bit of my prescription will let you know if I’ll benefit much?

I'd go with somebody other than Optical Express, I had a bad experience with them following Laser Eye surgery.

The procedure was fine, nothing to worry about there. Complications developed over time, it can happen, they were initially very good about putting things right and certainly things haven't gotten any worse - but when it came to the final treatment to restore my left eye back to what it should have been they decided that I'd need to pay the full amount again for another correction due to my problems falling outside their warranty period, even though I'd been undergoing treatment for two years while 'under warranty'

Full details can be found in the big laser eye surgery thread, they're probably fine if things going perfect, as they will in 99% of cases, but if they dont then you're probably ******.

Soldato
Depending on the final correction, you may end up better than you did with glasses, I did.

All this will be discussed with you at your pre-op screening and diagnostics.

If you are correcting short sight, your vision will get better.

If you are correcting long sight, your vision will get worse.

It is not down to the technology. It is simply down to optics.

In the main this will not affect laser outcomes since laser is mostly used to correct short sight, the ability to laser treat farsightedness is quite limited.

But it is definitely a thing if you are going to use techniques such as lens replacement to treat stronger long sight prescriptions

Soldato
I have been thinking about this for a while as my right eye is a bit blurry compared to my left. I have glasses which I only use for gaming/tv really. I think once my guts are sorted I will look more into it. It does look a bit scary when you read into it though.....

Man of Honour
I have been thinking about this for a while as my right eye is a bit blurry compared to my left. I have glasses which I only use for gaming/tv really. I think once my guts are sorted I will look more into it. It does look a bit scary when you read into it though.....

Don’t watch the videos :eek:

My wife nearly backed out. I couldn’t do it personally.

Soldato

My wife nearly backed out. I couldn’t do it personally.
I had mine done about 8 years ago. I actually passed out during the first attempt, so I had to go back a few weeks later to have it done. The actual procedure lasts about 20 seconds per eye, during which you can't feel anything. I was going to say that it wasn't a big deal, but now that I'm thinking about it again, I actually feel a bit sick. I would still say it's worth persevering with, however; I've been free of glasses for nearly a decade, and all for a few minutes of discomfort and a couple of months of putting up with eye drops. That reminds me of a fringe benefit of having it done; you get really comfortable with eye drops!

Man of Honour
I had mine done about 8 years ago. I actually passed out during the first attempt, so I had to go back a few weeks later to have it done. The actual procedure lasts about 20 seconds per eye, during which you can't feel anything. I was going to say that it wasn't a big deal, but now that I'm thinking about it again, I actually feel a bit sick. I would still say it's worth persevering with, however; I've been free of glasses for nearly a decade, and all for a few minutes of discomfort and a couple of months of putting up with eye drops. That reminds me of a fringe benefit of having it done; you get really comfortable with eye drops!

My wife was delayed massively in the waiting room due to someone having a massive freak out. As you can imagine, the wait didn’t help my wife. She, like you, would say that it was absolutely worth it.

Soldato

I wish I'd not watched them before I had mine done! I nearly didn't go through with it. I had to get it booked up as soon as I'd had the consultation so I didn't have too long to think about it.

The smell of burning while having it done was the worst bit, although they assured me that was the smell of the laser.. I didn't believe that for a second.

Soldato
I wish I'd not watched them before I had mine done! I nearly didn't go through with it. I had to get it booked up as soon as I'd had the consultation so I didn't have too long to think about it.

The smell of burning while having it done was the worst bit, although they assured me that was the smell of the laser.. I didn't believe that for a second.

Wimps, The lot of you! :p

Go and youtube cataract surgery! Laser is tame! :D

Soldato
My wife was delayed massively in the waiting room due to someone having a massive freak out. As you can imagine, the wait didn’t help my wife. She, like you, would say that it was absolutely worth it.
Fortunately I didn't go into one, I just blacked out when they started cutting the first flap. The second consultant I spoke to suggested that I go for something called TESA (transepithelial surface ablation) which doesn't involve cutting a flap - the entire procedure is done with lasers. I found it much more comfortable and managed to stay calm during the procedure. I was amazed at how quickly it was over - it almost makes you feel cheated because it's thousands of pounds for what feels like five minutes of actual "action".

Soldato
I wish they'd offer laser eye surgery on the NHS, rather than class it as a "cosmetic proceedure." It makes me wonder how people get boob jobs done, but something as important as eye sight isn't covered.

Soldato
I wish they'd offer laser eye surgery on the NHS, rather than class it as a "cosmetic proceedure." It makes me wonder how people get boob jobs done, but something as important as eye sight isn't covered.

Interesting point actually.

Of course, in the past, Glasses/contact lenses were the only option for people with poor eyesight.

But now other treatment options are available. Should poor eyesight continue to be considered simply a cosmetic matter, or should it be regarded as a treatable disability?

Obviously, there are degrees of poor eyesight ranging from only being mildly inconvenienced to being essentially blind without correction.

I think if ones eyesight is so poor that you cannot effectively function without correction (IE Cant Drive, Cant read, Cant watch TV and, in particular, cant find your glasses if you have dropped them) then if it is treatable, then treatment on the NHS would be justified.

On the other hand, if all you have is (say) a little bit of astigmatism which doesn't prevent you from doing any of these things but just leaves your vision a little bit blurry but otherwise OK, then perhaps not.

(EG I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago. My distance vision is spot on but there is still some astigmatism which means that I am happier wearing glasses for night- driving/going to the cinema. I can do both perfectly well without glasses, but the experience is better with them under low light level conditions. )

But where do you draw the line between?

I would suggest the sight requirement for driving should be the break point.

What say others?

Soldato
I wouldn’t do it for a million pounds. My eyes aren’t great at -5 and -7. But my vision with glasses on is great, no way i would take the risk knowing what side effects could occur.

Glasses really aren’t a big deal for me but mybe thats becuase i have been wearing them for years.

Soldato
So I had this done last week for a grand total of £400 in Pakistan after being recommended a place by a relative.
Yes you might call me mad but the prices in the UK are obscene and this was exactly the same procedure in a top notch establishment.

Been wearing glasses since 6 and contacts since 14 (I'm now 31) this has genuinely been the best decision I have ever made. Such a relief not to have to worry about it now.

Vision is perfect and although it's a bit blurry around lights at night it's getting better every day! Drops are going fine and genuinely love the feeling of waking up being able to see!

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have failed at trying to find the main one on Eye surgery (I'm sure there used to be one many pages long). I'm looking to do it, but I live a bit more up north than you guys and I don't really fancy travelling to London for it. I'm -2 and -2.75 so not too bad, but I've been wearing contacts for about 15 years and the thought has crossed my mind that it would be cheaper to go for Eye surgery (and hopefully avoid some of the issues with contacts). Doing a small bit of research I'm not sure whether I'd prefer lasek or lasik as there seems to be pros and cons to both.

Soldato
I got mine done at Optegra in Manchester. Though they have branches in Birmingham and Yorkshire too.

Couldn't be happier with the results. I was around -4.5 in both eyes, with a mild astigmatism in one. My thinking was similar to you, although my contact lenses were super cheap as i had the ones you slept in for a month. add in a pair of glasses as backups every 2 years or so.

Mine was a form of Lasek, but the slightly less invasive version where they cut a slit rather than a full flap. On their website it was called Relex Smile. cThe benefits seemed to be reduced halo'ing at night, and if i'm honest when it's dark street lights are clearer now than when i had glasses!

Was around 4 years ago now which is mad to think it's so long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom