Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Released 22/03/2019

Soldato
Yes, feels exactly the same way as Souls did the first time I played it, kinda slow and sluggish but you quickly get used to it. Gameplay wise I'm finding the combat a lot more 'cheaper' and frustrating than Bloodborne, Souls etc. Enemies will annoy the **** out of you with their tactics.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! I’ve just pulled the trigger on this, have been feeling out of love with games recently so ill see if this can reinvigorate my passion.

I completed Bloodborne a couple of years ago in about 5 weeks. Was a real love hate relationship haha.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone makes of this and I’ll of course give some thoughts. Thanks again.

Soldato
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! I’ve just pulled the trigger on this, have been feeling out of love with games recently so ill see if this can reinvigorate my passion.

I completed Bloodborne a couple of years ago in about 5 weeks. Was a real love hate relationship haha.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone makes of this and I’ll of course give some thoughts. Thanks again.

I struggle to enjoy/get in to other games because of these titles! The challenge just pulls me in more than other games.

Soldato
Actually, I was just venting. Their tactics aren't any cheaper than the other souls type games I'm just crap at it and was playing the game wrong, a more tactical and thoughtful approach is required to get anywhere it seems.

btw, I am enjoying it. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Japanese audio, Eng subs. It's actually the game's default setting which is nice to see, more authentic in my eyes.

p.s Just had really cool scene sneaking through some caves, maiming something and legging it. Fromsoftware are spot on with their foreshadowing as per usual, spotted the clue earlier on in the level.

Soldato
Couple of hours in and I'd say it's harder than the Souls games, even the lowest enemies take big chunks out of your health. Checkpoints are more common but healing is very limited early on which combined with the high enemy damage means you really can't afford more than a few hits. I can see it being too much for a lot of people as personally I found Dark Souls 3 pretty manageable but this is a definite step up.

Still getting used to the controls, I feel quite clumsy at the moment and it hasn't gelled with me yet in the way that Nioh did but I'll keep going. The atmosphere and world is great of course just not totally sold on the combat/movement as yet.

Performance (XB1X) seems okay for the most part, had a couple of moments of huge slowdown (sub-10fps) in one section but that's been the exception so far.

Associate
Played about an hour. Not sure what John Linneman was on about as hdr seems broken on this again; I’ve now lost all faith in DF analysis tbh. They’re definitely not wanting to criticise devs as I doubt they’re incompetent. Inky blacks? Don’t think so. Dissapointingly washed out again like so many titles lately. Looks just like RDR2’s implemtation to me. Anyway I’ll keep playing and hopefully the gameplay and lore will really suck me in.

Performance seems good so far, very smooth. Reminds me of Bloodborne but nowhere near so darK in tone and the setting is cool. Never played games before in their native language and I’m enjoying that as it definitely adds to the immersion in the world.

Last edited:
Soldato
Put a couple of hours into this so far, I can see this being a bit of a love/hate thing much like GoW, where on some bits I'd die over and over :p

Nothing has been impossible though so far, and if I die it's normally just me doing something wrong. I really like the setting, the combat feels good, and as things stand I am looking forward to putting some more time in tomorrow :)

Soldato
Not sure how I feel about the dragonrot mechanic, seems like it punishes you for dying by making the game even harder. Odd choice, especially when the game is pretty darned hard to begin with.

I'd like a way to have 60fps 1080p rather than ~4k as it feels noticeably less fluid than Nioh and the game suffers a bit as a result.

One thing's for sure, there are going to be a lot of people selling this in a week or two after putting a controller through their TV!

Soldato
Not sure how I feel about the dragonrot mechanic, seems like it punishes you for dying by making the game even harder. Odd choice, especially when the game is pretty darned hard to begin with.

I'd like a way to have 60fps 1080p rather than ~4k as it feels noticeably less fluid than Nioh and the game suffers a bit as a result.

One thing's for sure, there are going to be a lot of people selling this in a week or two after putting a controller through their TV!

I imagine there must be a way to improve dragonrot as the game goes on but not looking into it for not wanting it spoiled if so. Dark souls 2 decreased your overall HP with each death if I recall

Soldato

I might be one of them. Dark Souls is probably my favourite game of all time and I've played all the other games and loved them all. I expected this to be different, but even better and in some ways it is, but I'm not enjoying it as its incredibly frustrating.

Getting stuck on a mini boss because you cant fight enemies the way you want, only the way the game allows you to, which means die and repeat ad infinitum until you either get lucky or eventually learn how the game wants you to beat them. Yes the other games had this in a way, having to learn areas and enemies, but it sucks the fun out of it and spoils immersion as it feels like you're playing against a system or mechanic, rather than an organic free thinking enemy.

The grappling is good but also stupid. It adds a nice vertically to the game but why cant I grapple to a roof in certain areas to get an advantage, yet if I move slightly out of that area I can grapple to a roof of the same height and then jump to the roof I wasnt able to grapple to before... Huh? Also why you can't grapple enemies I dont know. Maybe that's a skill later on, who knows.

My early impressions are that the rigid nature of the posture based combat adds a fake layer of difficulty I find frustrating, especially the special attacks. Sure it might get better as skills unlock or I get better at the game but I'm not sure I have the patience. It might be an epic game but for me, at the moment, I'm not feeling it. I will play some more later but it may end up being sold if I cant get into it. :/

Associate
One of my main gripes yesterday was how quickly enemies respawn. Like you haven’t even left the area and the ones you’ve killed are back again. Bloodborne was only when you started the area again if I recall.

Anyway I need to be positive as I’ve downloaded it (again taking reviewers at their word) so can’t sell it and at this rate I’ll be selling my PS4 and giving up gaming! Haha.

Associate
That first mini boss had me stuck for ages. It really is not that hard when you control yourself and stop trying to do cheap attacks. I should know better really after finishing BB and all the souls games tbh.

Associate
On the min-bosses/bosses best to learn their attack pattern and use deflect, builds their deathblow bar quickly. Hacking away will get you killed, moralised and raging lol.

Yeah I was raging at that first mini boss, just like Rom made me rage on Bloodbourne. Composed myself after that and now quite a way in. Brilliant game.

When I say rage it is more like making silly mistakes after failing for 30 mins lol.

Back
Top Bottom