What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Us (2019) - 5/10

A more intelligently made slasher movie, although the big reveal doesn’t make a bit of sense.

It’s quite artistic in presentation and the acting’s good, but there’s never any sense of fear or horror, and it’s very slow in the beginning in setting the scene.

It kept my interest, but the story just wasn’t that good.

Associate
The Lion in Winter - 1968 Digitally Restored Bluray.

Peter O'Toole and Anthony Hopkins.

Bit over the top theatrical style acting but pretty good overall. 7/10.

A Prayer Before Dawn (2017)

Good prison flick - based on a true story. 7/10.

Airplane! (1980)

The funny bits are still funny but there's a lot of polyfilla that had been long forgotten - 7/10 and don't call me Shirley!

Triangle (2009)

Bit repetitive - don't fall asleep half way through as you'll think it's started again when you wake up! :D Worth it for Melissa George - 6/10

I think we're alone now (2018)
post apolyptical film with the dude from game of thones - was alright if youre into that sort of thing 7/10... at least there wasn't any hooman buffet :D

Leave no trace (2018)

interesting wilderness survival story -getting away from modern life... enjoyed it 8/10.

Mandy (2018)

Nic Cage as crazy werewolf/mountain man goes on rampage.... no idea what it was about but thcary nonetheless :D 6/10

You were never really here (2017)

Jaquim Phoenix as crazy werewolf/mountain man goes on rampage... might have mixed up this film with the above... thats what happens when watching too many films in one night :D.. Just pick one and watch that, the final score will be the same 6/10.

A quite place (2018)

This film fetches the far reaches of the galaxy.... some mild entertainment... but I'd stick with crazy werewolf/mountain man flicks tbh :D 6/10

Lady Bird (2018)

Didn't know what to expect with this one, was pleasantly surprised.. 8/10

Ready Player One (2018)

erm no... even the pacman didn't do it for me.... only managed 21 minutes... 0/10... Insert more coins :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Us (2019) - 5/10

A more intelligently made slasher movie, although the big reveal doesn’t make a bit of sense.

It’s quite artistic in presentation and the acting’s good, but there’s never any sense of fear or horror, and it’s very slow in the beginning in setting the scene.

It kept my interest, but the story just wasn’t that good.

Me too and the twist don't make sense when you think about it.

It held my interest but it wasn't scary once they got out of the house, it turned into a slasher movie really and I am not scared of slasher films.

p.s. who is who's shadow anyway? It doesn't matter really if one swaps with the other because ultimately it's just the same story.

Soldato
Leave No Trace

Went into this with no expectations, didn't know what it was about. It is incredible, I wish more directors could tell a story that well. I thought it might struggle a bit to keep it interesting through to the finish, but no problems...totally nailed it.

10/10 for me. Not because it's the greatest film of all time, but because there is literally not a single bit of it that could be improved by changing it. Just a really great bit of cinema.

Soldato
Triple Frontier - 5/10. The cinematography was very good, they picked some stunning locations for filming, the cast were mostly good, but there were some serious 'wtf?' moments in the story that really ruined it for me. For example:

Ben Affleck's character was supposed to have been their squad leader when they were serving in the Rangers, he was established as meticulous and the member of the group who was least keen on actually doing the heist in the first place, then the moment they realise there's much more money there than thought, he completely loses it and turns into a reckless, greedy *******.

Also, they didn't make it clear why they had to fly over the Andes. I know the plan was to get a boat to a bank in Antigua to transfer the money, but flying to the Peruvian coast over the Andes isn't exactly the most direct route when you then have to factor in the massively long boat voyage you're going to have to take to get north to Antigua. Also, Lorea's men somehow tracked them to the exact correct village they had planned to get the boat to Antigua from, despite South America being vast, and although all the characters were told they couldn't ever go back to their normal lives, Pedro Pascal's character says he's looking forward to getting home at the end.

Caporegime
Triple Frontier - 5/10. The cinematography was very good, they picked some stunning locations for filming, the cast were mostly good, but there were some serious 'wtf?' moments in the story that really ruined it for me. For example:

Ben Affleck's character was supposed to have been their squad leader when they were serving in the Rangers, he was established as meticulous and the member of the group who was least keen on actually doing the heist in the first place, then the moment they realise there's much more money there than thought, he completely loses it and turns into a reckless, greedy *******.

Also, they didn't make it clear why they had to fly over the Andes. I know the plan was to get a boat to a bank in Antigua to transfer the money, but flying to the Peruvian coast over the Andes isn't exactly the most direct route when you then have to factor in the massively long boat voyage you're going to have to take to get north to Antigua. Also, Lorea's men somehow tracked them to the exact correct village they had planned to get the boat to Antigua from, despite South America being vast, and although all the characters were told they couldn't ever go back to their normal lives, Pedro Pascal's character says he's looking forward to getting home at the end.

Totally agreed, he was totally out of character, of the whole team, didn't think it would be him.

Caporegime
Notting Hill (1999).

God, this movie is 20 years old. I remember going to see this at University in a double date!

It is actually STILL as funny and romantic as it was. I truly love this film and Julia Roberts is the perfect casting for the role and she plays it so well that I am unsure if she is acting in some scenes. It made me smile, it makes me sad, it gives me goosebumps and I love it.

p.s. the little details in this movie is amazing, Belle's character is a lawyer and in her house there are papers banded in pink cloth ribbons, the exact same kind used in a barrister/solicitor's office.

Soldato

Watched it a few nights ago and I would agree. All the ingredients were right, but it came out pretty bad. Lots of 'but why would they do that?' moments, which is never good.

Caporegime
The Crescent.

This unusual art house collaboration between Canadian production company Cut Off Tail and Germany's Deutsche Telefunken features a lead actor who was still a toddler at the time of filming (and coincidentally, the director's own son).

Beth is sad because Pete has died. She retreats to Gramma's house at the beach, which she intend to sell. At the beach she meets Joseph, who expresses an interest in Lowen. Beth is unnerved.

Strange noises wake Beth in the night. She investigates but finds nothing. Lowan plays with his truck. Joseph walks on the beach. Beth is distracted.

Sam meets Beth at the beach. Lowen likes her. Beth is pleased.

Lowen looks through a window and sees the Other People walking on the beach. He calls out to them, but they cannot hear him. Beth is busy with her marbling.

Lowen plays with Sam. Sam tells Beth there are people in the area who 'don't want to stay dead.' The strange noises at night are getting worse. Beth is concerned.

Joseph clashes with the Other People. Sam comes to visit. Beth leaves her house in the middle of the night, and does not return.

Lowen is alone. Sam knocks on the window, but cannot see or hear him. Joseph breaks into the house, but Lowen escapes.

The Other People find Lowen on the beach, and carry him into the sea. Beth is still missing.

Sam and Lowen find Beth on the beach, unconscious but alive. Beth returns to the house, and recuperates on a couch. Lowen brushes her hair.

Beth has a dream about Pete. Joseph visits, and explains that he has lived many lives. He says Beth must give him Lowen because he needs a 'vessel' in order to 'return.'

Beth observes that Joseph has begun to mutate. She attacks him with her marbling comb. Joseph collapses to the floor with the marbling comb stuck in his head.

Beth enjoys a brief moment of triumph. Joseph gets up and attacks her with the marbling comb. Beth fights back, and smashes his face into a bloody pulp. Joseph stays down, but it's not clear if he's dead.

Lowen is at the beach with Beth. The Other People have arrived, and this time Gramma is with them. Beth picks up Lowen and walks into the water, where they both drown.

I rate The Crescent at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a refreshing 7/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's why you have competent set decorator and props people.

It was SUCH a small detail, 2 second shot that has nothing to do with the movie. The papers are in her house, not the office, the scene could work 100% the same had it been some magazines. Not only it was the right kind of ribbon, it was tied the correct way too. It looked 100% authentic. I was very impressed at the level of detail that they know and went through.

Soldato
Polar
The world's top assassin, Duncan Vizla, is settling into retirement when his former employer marks him as a liability to the firm. Against his will, he finds himself back in the game going head to head with an army of younger killers.

Basically felt like watching John Wicks dad for the most part, even buys a dog at one point :)

A good 2 hour romp with lots of blood, violence and over the top kills. Kathryn Winnick is lovely as always, although can't detach her from Lagertha in my mind. Matt Lucas utterly unconvincing as the big bad and Mads was an absolute badass. Oh Vanessa Hudgens is not aging gracefully.

Did drag a bit in the mid point and was farily contrived but still really liked it. 7/10

Soldato
Bohemian Rhapsody 8/10

Brilliant, brilliant film......not often I rewatch films but seen it a second time already.

Only reason I marked it an 8 is that it's not very accurate

Soldato
Bumblebee!

This was a breath of fresh air, really enjoyed it considering I wasn't a fan of the other transformer movies!
Thing I liked was that they used the original designs for the transformers. Still not a patch on the original 1986 transformers movie mind.

Soldato
Border 8/10

Bonkers swedish film about a trollesque lady. One of the most bizarre scenes in a movie i have ever seen. Was very interesting though and i reccomend tou guys catch it when its released on blu ray/ digital.

Soldato
The Revenant.

Bought this on Blu Ray a while back and only just got round to watch it. Loved the setting and time period with some breath taking scenery. The cinematography was amazing.

I only wish there were more films made regarding history and story's that have taken place which I'd also say about gaming.

Unfortunately the story wasn't actually up to much and found it pretty boring in the end. The ending was especially garbage. Really dissapointing.

6/10

I concur just watched this last night, went on too long guy was like Rambo falling into trees etc...

The 30mins floating in a river should have finished him off so very far fetched. We also had to put the subtitles on just to understand what Tom Hardy was saying. Terrible terrible accent. :(

This coming from a Glaswegian lol :)

Deserved it's cinematography oscar though

Back
Top Bottom