Surface Pro 5s still good? (Please help me choose a laptop!)

Soldato
Hi guys.

Struggling to settle on a laptop to buy. I want to replace my aging i7 16gb ssd desktop with an i7 16gb ssd laptop.

Im in australia so hsve been looking around here and have seen some refurbed/2nd hand Surface Pro 5 (2017 models) going for around $1300-$1500 for an i7, 16gb Ram, 512gb or 1tb ssd and the keyboard included.

Im assuming that they are still pretty damn powerful? The only thing that has swayed me slightly is i saw somewhere selling brand new Lenovo Yoga 15s, which are 8th gen i7, 16gb Ram and 512gb ssd and a bigger screen compared to the Surface. They are around the $1500-$1600 mark but brand new.

My question is should i opt for the surface over the yoga despite being second hand?

Benefits of the surface that i can see are...
Potentially bigger SSD
Higher res screen
Bit cheaper than the yoga

Benefits of yoga...
Brand new
Newer generation i7
Comes with stylus pen
Bigger screen
Think the yoga may have better gfx

Im stuck with what to do. Are there any other options to look at? Im not averse to buying something second hand just want to make sure im getting the biggest bang for my buck!

Associate
I'm not familiar with the Yoga 15s - I think it is a 2:1 device right? I used to have a 2:1 device but switched to the Surface 5 as it was a better 'tablet' and notetaking device.
Even though I use the i5 model it is more than powerful enough for web browsing, MS office and online streaming videos (Youtube, Netflix etc). So I can imagine the 7th gen i7 may be good enough particularly if you will rely on a desktop for more powerful uses.
Accept price is a factor, I had the advantage of getting a deal with the pen and keyboard included at the time.

Soldato
Surface Pro certainly isn't desktop replacement and not even real laptop, but tablet first, laptop third device.
And disposable fashion gadget without any chances for servicing it or updating it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+5+Teardown/92362
Microsoft doesn't even give any real warranty for the price of Surfaces.
Which isn't wonder considering disposable designs.
And in case of refurb/second hand, batteries might be already weaker.
While you can't change it yourself.

Even if it were serviceable, its i7 means dual core, so very wimpy compared to your old PC and ever increasing software bloat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Pro_(2017)

For comparison even 8th gen laptop serie i5s are quad cores.
And Lenovo has good serviceability in most models.
(like being able to replace SSD if it gets small, or take SSD out for copying data if laptop breaks)

Yoga 15 is obsolete model name, so not exactly sure what model you're looking at.
Can't find it in any Lenovo site, including their Australian site.
ThinkPads don't even have currently such convertible model with 15,6" display.
Yoga 730 has that size display, but no ThinkPad keyboard.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the response guys.

I think i'm going to sack off going for a 2 in 1 and try and get a decent laptop instead. Makes more sense I think.

I've seen some Asus ZenBooks UX430's with 8th gen i7's, nice screens, 16gb ram, 512gb ssds. Or even the newer model the UX433 for couple hundred dollars more but that's probably about as much as i'd be willing to spend ($1700). Rather spend around $1500ish.

Are there any other comparable laptop brands/models I should check out for same spec/price/functionality?

Back
Top Bottom