T6 Transporter Campervan Conversion

Soldato
Hi all,

We're considering trading in the Passat estate, buying a T6 Transporter and having a company convert it to a campervan. I know very little, so would be very grateful to hear experiences, either way. We're a family of 4, and the kids are already excited about the possibility (Aged 3 & 5)

So far we've looked at:

https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/campervans/
http://www.cambee.co.uk/
http://vanworx.co.uk/

I'd be particularly keen to hear from anyone who has done this, things they regret or would do differently.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I dunno what the cost and space/feature differences might be but have you considered the VW California?

Soldato
OP
I dunno what the cost and space/feature differences might be but have you considered the VW California?

It's quite a bit cheaper to convert a T6, and you also get more flexibility in terms of layout, options etc etc. We will be testing out a California in the Summer, but only to confirm we want to go ahead with a T6 conversion

Soldato
My father and I did this 4 years ago.

Bought a £13k T5 2.5TDi panel Van, £13k to Bodens Camper vans in Shrewsbury (by no means the closest but wanted a top job)

Then enjoyed 2 years, 10k miles and sold it for £24k (minus a selling fee)

That 13k conversion from Bodens was for the works including 4 birth + gas central heating system for winter camping. They were excellent all the way through and even sold the vehicle for us within 3 days on their forecourt (for a fee obviously)

Soldato
OP
My father and I did this 4 years ago.

Bought a £13k T5 2.5TDi panel Van, £13k to Bodens Camper vans in Shrewsbury (by no means the closest but wanted a top job)

Then enjoyed 2 years, 10k miles and sold it for £24k (minus a selling fee)

That 13k conversion from Bodens was for the works including 4 birth + gas central heating system for winter camping. They were excellent all the way through and even sold the vehicle for us within 3 days on their forecourt (for a fee obviously)

Great story - thank you for sharing your experience.

I had seen Bodans https://www.bodans.co.uk/ I think resale is important, and I would be very careful about selecting the right conversion. The last thing we would want is a shoddy conversion tbh.

Associate
I didn't think there would be any interest on this forum so I haven't created a thread, however;

We have just finished turning a 2015 T5 LWB 4wd into a camper, I spent a long time looking at all the options with regards layouts, base vans, roof options, beds and cabinets.

Whoever you choose, try and look at examples of their work. I visited Camper Jam before I started my conversion and investigated roof and seating options, spoke to converters, sat in vans and generally had a good look round. Well worth a day out. I also visited a few conversion companies to see what the quality of their work was, which quickly led me to realise I could do better myself for most parts, I paid a company to fit my pop-top and I bought the units ready made although these were tailored to my requirements.

Make a list of things you want, we were ditching a caravan and a Range Rover to go with the camper so it needed to fill both roles to an extent, which is why we went with a 4motion and added items like hot water and a wider bed.

As MrKnifey said above, go with a high spec base van, whilst it's easy to retro fit some items others will incur a massive cost. Not all conversion companies are equal and some of the established large companies aren't always the best!

We've had no regrets so far.

IMG_20190217_094328.jpg

Soldato
OP
I didn't think there would be any interest on this forum so I haven't created a thread, however;

We have just finished turning a 2015 T5 LWB 4wd into a camper, I spent a long time looking at all the options with regards layouts, base vans, roof options, beds and cabinets.

Whoever you choose, try and look at examples of their work. I visited Camper Jam before I started my conversion and investigated roof and seating options, spoke to converters, sat in vans and generally had a good look round. Well worth a day out. I also visited a few conversion companies to see what the quality of their work was, which quickly led me to realise I could do better myself for most parts, I paid a company to fit my pop-top and I bought the units ready made although these were tailored to my requirements.

Make a list of things you want, we were ditching a caravan and a Range Rover to go with the camper so it needed to fill both roles to an extent, which is why we went with a 4motion and added items like hot water and a wider bed.

As MrKnifey said above, go with a high spec base van, whilst it's easy to retro fit some items others will incur a massive cost. Not all conversion companies are equal and some of the established large companies aren't always the best!

We've had no regrets so far.

IMG_20190217_094328.jpg

Hi @task! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

What would be your top tips, should you have any? I wouldn't be converting myself, and instead handing it over to be done, so I'd be really keen to see more pics and see if you have an lessons you could pass on to a noob like me? Trust if you prefer.

For context, I'll be trading in a '15 plate SE Business Passat. I'm trying to weigh up whether it's better for me to buy second hand (looking at £20k+VAT) or let converter buy new. Some seem to be able to get good deals.

In terms of Van I think we want: Highline, LWB, Tailgate, Euro 6, 102ps (with a view to remapping)

In terms of conversion, I think it's better to explain purpose rather than items I think we need?

- Will be used as a daily driver by me to commute to work (Only 16 miles a day) and to pick up the boys (3 & 6).
- Used on weekends throughout the year for whole family to explore on trips about the place.
- Will be used for weekends & week long trips away on established campsites (i.e. with toilets, showers, electric hook up etc)

Hopefully that helps?

Man of Honour

Think there are a few van conversion threads on here - personally it is something I always find interesting especially the more inventive or innovations things people do.

Soldato
Hi @task! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

What would be your top tips, should you have any? I wouldn't be converting myself, and instead handing it over to be done, so I'd be really keen to see more pics and see if you have an lessons you could pass on to a noob like me? Trust if you prefer.

For context, I'll be trading in a '15 plate SE Business Passat. I'm trying to weigh up whether it's better for me to buy second hand (looking at £20k+VAT) or let converter buy new. Some seem to be able to get good deals.

In terms of Van I think we want: Highline, LWB, Tailgate, Euro 6, 102ps (with a view to remapping)

In terms of conversion, I think it's better to explain purpose rather than items I think we need?

- Will be used as a daily driver by me to commute to work (Only 16 miles a day) and to pick up the boys (3 & 6).
- Used on weekends throughout the year for whole family to explore on trips about the place.
- Will be used for weekends & week long trips away on established campsites (i.e. with toilets, showers, electric hook up etc)

Hopefully that helps?

I didnt get the Trust email bud, but get a 150ps 6 speed or DSG. 5 Speed isnt ideal, I have one myself. Dont get a converter source the van for you, they will get you a crap spec so they have more profit in it for them.

Do you have facebook?

Soldato
OP
I didnt get the Trust email bud, but get a 150ps 6 speed or DSG. 5 Speed isnt ideal, I have one myself. Dont get a converter source the van for you, they will get you a crap spec so they have more profit in it for them.

Do you have facebook?

I have sent another trust - if you don't get it check your email on your trust as it could be out of date? Alternatively, it might be going to your spam? If all else fails, trust message me and I'll get straight back to you

I do prefer a 6 speed(Curren Passat has, presumably, the same gearbox), and DSG wouldn't be the end of the world either tbh but I guess pushes the cost up. I'll have a gander.

EDIT - Might be worth looking at auctions, maybe? Not something I've considered until now

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Our works van is a VW caddy with the euro 6 102ps engine, i couldn't imagine how painful it'd be to drive a converted transporter with such a terribly underpowered engine. Get the 150ps.

The 102ps can be comfortably mapped up to 150ps, I've been told. However the gearbox point remains, and I do take it on board.

Soldato
According to review sites the California 100bhp diesel takes 19s to 60, I would imagine that would get tedious quite quickly trying to get up to speed on the motorway journey, at least the 150ps engine slashes 7s off it.

Associate
@TheDean

As above, get a 6 speed manual or a DSG if that's your thing

Try and get a T32, the extra payload is worth it

Tailgate -v- Barn Door is a personal preference thing really. I've got barndoor, I do sometime think about converting to tailgate but barndoor has advantages too. Don't discount a van that ticks all the other boxes if it's not got a tailgate.

If you plan to carry passengers regularly then a traditional side-kitchen layout bed that allows the seat to be moved forwards when travelling is probably worth investigating, otherwise the rear passengers are a long way back. It's also worth investigating the less traditional layout of a rear kitchen and seating at the front (Jerba Sanna is one example) although not if you're tall, the beds are compromised on length!

A lot of the conversion specific advice I have probably isn't relevant if you're using an established conversion company.

I'll pop up a conversion thread with some photos in, I didn't grab a great deal of photos when doing the work as my phone camera was broken :(

Back
Top Bottom