• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
That Chipset is harder to find out . Guessing for good reason . I'm guessing Asus Strix B450-E will just get a nice luck of paint and will be B550 given an idea of what to expect. 12 phase B450 does seems a little overkill and made sure it's damn hard to get ! Carbon is a good board but if Strix E as available here... Would be flying off the shelves .
Question is... If B550 going to really limit PCIe to force x570 to look more appealing whilst leaving PCIe 4.0 to it's bigger brother.. don't see a need for it on the b550 .
Also question to whether it'll all be in-house , guessing most likely though to keep costs down .

This would mean X470 will still end up the better choice compared to B550.
If you describe it rightly, a B550 can be an actual A520.

Soldato
The differences may well be around smart boost, pcie 4.0 and VRMs plus some small differences around SATA connections.
A520 may have even lower VRMs and no overclocking potential.

Soldato
Should be getting leaks any time tbh if some are expecting a CPU or two to release in May.

Wonder if it will require B die RAM, i see you can get 16GB CL16 3000mhz or 3200mhz kits at about half the price of those now. Don't see how the big price increase could justify tiny % perf difference from CL14.

Soldato
Should be getting leaks any time tbh if some are expecting a CPU or two to release in May.

Wonder if it will require B die RAM, i see you can get 16GB CL16 3000mhz or 3200mhz kits at about half the price of those now. Don't see how the big price increase could justify tiny % perf difference from CL14.
Especially when most RAM is overclockable/undertimingable (?) anyway.

Soldato
This would mean X470 will still end up the better choice compared to B550.
If you describe it rightly, a B550 can be an actual A520.

Like B450, has to be designed to run highest Core Cup, non X version for everyday use . If there's a 16 core chip. Naturally they'll have to double what they've put down in b450 chips or use better MOSFET and heatsink .

Soldato
Not sure it's even worth the bother if you get decent stock speed to begin with, seems very fiddly to OC RAM. Easier just to OC the CPU i would say.
Wasn't too hard when I tried it. I just kept increasing the clock speed with loose timings until it wouldn't boot (anything above 3000 MHz failed with my 2666 MHz ECC RAM), then tightened timings using the Ryzen DRAM Calculator's "safe" preset (so still fairly loose, CL17 I think). I then ran a memory stress test for a day or so and it has been rock solid for half a year. The Phoronix benchmarks I tried showed a noticeable improvement even with my CPU still at stock speeds.

Associate
i can't bloody wait for ryzen 3. why is release date in july ffs. the money is burning hole in my pockets. c'mon AMD i don't want anything to do with rubbish intel anymore. i want ryzen 5gh now

Caporegime
Like B450, has to be designed to run highest Core Cup, non X version for everyday use . If there's a 16 core chip. Naturally they'll have to double what they've put down in b450 chips or use better MOSFET and heatsink .

yeah its always been the case where these boards support new chips but top end chips arent fully supported on older platforms or performance is worse. i always think its best to just get a new mobo if you going to that platform. hopefully we see some new stuff soon.

Associate
If going from previous history, am I right in assuming the X570 boards will be first, then B550 a couple of months later to coincide with the R5 chips? I am thinking it might be prudent to get an X570 if this is the first upgrade for a while (me) as it would give better longevity to support the 16 core behemoths properly.

Soldato
If the B series boards come after the X570 series, i'll just opt to put a Zen2 in my CH6 for the time being and wait for a good top end B550 to come along... Will sell off my 1700, CH6 and Ram once that happens or maybe turn it into a home server of some kind :)

Associate
Well my old z97 lga 1150 board just packed in so Im in a quandry. My 4690k was long in the tooth but was fine at 4.2ghz .

Now I havent a flippin clue what to get. Thinking Ryzen 2600 and given I dont have a working PC, the alternative of forking out too much for an ancient z97 board to tide me over to see what Ryzen 3xxx is like is a bit annoying.

Caporegime
Well my old z97 lga 1150 board just packed in so Im in a quandry. My 4690k was long in the tooth but was fine at 4.2ghz .

Now I havent a flippin clue what to get. Thinking Ryzen 2600 and given I dont have a working PC, the alternative of forking out too much for an ancient z97 board to tide me over to see what Ryzen 3xxx is like is a bit annoying.

Just get a 2600 and a decent B450 mobo...Then flash the bios ready for 3600 and sell the 2600

Back
Top Bottom