Project: silence that d*** PC!

Soldato
By throwing lots of money at the problem.

With the Nofan CPU cooler, my PC is pretty quiet but the constant low noise, not to mention the GPU sounding like a dishwasher really gets to me. Maybe it's my tinnitus but I had to do something.

This was my setup

YwGTwZq.jpg

Then I added my Acer Nitro 4K and needed a long video cable. I couldn't get a 5m Displayport 1.4 copper cable so forked out £200 for a fibre-optic cable:

f2DV6Cl.jpg

That worked very nicely, so I decided to go the whole hog and move the PC into the cupboard in the corner so I got two more fibre video cables, a 5m active USB 3 cable, a 5m USB 2 cable, a 5m TOSLINK cable, plus sundry power cables and protectors:

QWelORS.jpg

There's about £700 of cables there.

I also purchased some noise-absorbent foam and some cable tidy boxes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The first step was to unplug everything and clear out all the cables. There had been an accumulation over time and I filled one of those Sainsbury's bags with stuff. Anyway, the new cables were all put in and the PC relegated to the corner cupboard.

8AOiejb.jpg

With the door almost closed it was nice and quiet so the time came to do some alterations. I had a bit of trouble to start with but ended up with the cables looking like this:

iGFxIEF.jpg

And the PC nicely in the cupboard:

ftk4oGF.jpg

And my desk area now looks like this:

yTg0W84.jpg

And it's quiet. Success! If only I could do more about all the USB cables on my desk.

Soldato
OP
Ironically, the next step is to upgrade from my Nofan CPU cooler to one with a fan. Now that the PC is hidden away, I should be able to manage temperatures better with a cooler with a fan.

Soldato
OP
I also got a couple of cable tidy boxes in which I put the 4 and 6 way power strips.

Re1dco2.jpg

They look very nice and should help keep things tidy. You can see one on the far left which also holds my network switch, and there's one just peeking out under the desk on the right.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also got a couple of cable tidy boxes in which I put the 4 and 6 way power strips.

Re1dco2.jpg

They look very nice and should help keep things tidy. You can see one on the far left which also holds my network switch, and there's one just peeking out under the desk on the right.

Have you got a pick with the cables managed with above box? I may use one for a friends setup if they've done the job for you.

And how are your temps with a passive cooler (they look very impressive in the flesh) on a computer in a cupboard?

Soldato
OP
My CPU is currently running at 55 degrees C.

Pics of those boxes aren't terribly useful. I just put the power strip in, run the cables through the holes, plug everything in, and close the lid.

ETA I'll try to get a photo in the morning.

Last edited:
Soldato
That tub holds a cheap switch, a cheap 6-way power strip, and a reel of Cat 6 ethernet.
PHEW!

Respect your commitment for silence - you've certainly paid for it - kudos. Did you sound proof the other side of the one mirrored door? If they're like the ones in our old house, you could get away with doing the one screen directly in front of the PC.

Soldato
OP
I haven't put soundproofing on the door. There's not actually enough room. It's a sliding door and putting stuff on the inside would mean that it wouldn't slide past the boxes to the right. I will likely move the boxes over and turn the PC around, which will give me enough room to add a baffle at the front and other side but I'm satisfied right now.

Soldato
As you're on the holy-grail for silence:

The one thing i would do is put some rubber/foam strip down the side of the glass panel door edge; where it makes contact with the wooden surround when shut. Pretty sure it would have had this originally - but you can guarantee that the door and surround are not exactly plumb.

Soldato
OP
I've actually constructed a frame - 60 cm x 60 cm x 50 cm - for the other two sides and lined it with noise-cancelling foam. It's not something that's going to appear on Antiques Roadshow anytime soon!

Soldato
I've actually constructed a frame - 60 cm x 60 cm x 50 cm - for the other two sides and lined it with noise-cancelling foam. It's not something that's going to appear on Antiques Roadshow anytime soon!
If it reduces the offending noise and is hidden in a cupboard - job done, with zero drawbacks.

Back
Top Bottom