What do you guys think of number plates for cyclists

Soldato
Pointless thread is pointless.

Cycling should be made accessible to all, as easily and cheaply as possible, to reduce pollution and road congestion and encourage an active, outdoor lifestyle.

Idiots will be idiots regardless of having a number plate, as drivers show us daily.

Caporegime
Whilst I wouldn't dig at them that far I will say whenever I see an HGV driver spouting off about being a professional driver it makes me cringe and then chuckle. Whilst there are many decent HGV drivers from my experience on the roads there are also many that shouldn't be behind the wheel of an HGV. Humans will be humans!

If HGV’s were predominantly driven in the manner most people think they are the accident statistics for them would be off the scale whereas in fact accident rates for HGV’s are remarkably low.

● In 2013, there were 6,092 accidents involving at least one HGV in Great Britain, with 8,448 casualties. Of those casualties, 258 were fatalities.
● There were around 81 fatal or serious accidents involving HGVs per billion vehicle miles in 2013. This figure was lower than the rate for all vehicles (117 fatal or serious accidents per billion vehicle miles) and has decreased from 139 per billion vehicle miles in 2003

https://assets.publishing.service.g...-environmental-and-safety-statistics-2013.pdf

The vast vast majority of HGV drivers are very good - you have to be, they are very good killing machines in the wrong hands - unfortunately though when one has an accident the outcome if far more damaging and dramatic than if say a bad car driver has an off day, it’s very much more noticeable too.

As in any walk of life, the tiny majority always give the vast majority a bad image.

But hey, don’t let reality get in the way of perception. ;)

Caporegime
If HGV’s were predominantly driven in the manner most people think they are the accident statistics for them would be off the scale whereas in fact accident rates for HGV’s are remarkably low.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...-environmental-and-safety-statistics-2013.pdf

The vast vast majority of HGV drivers are very good - you have to be, they are very good killing machines in the wrong hands - unfortunately though when one has an accident the outcome if far more damaging and dramatic than if say a bad car driver has an off day, it’s very much more noticeable too.

As in any walk of life, the tiny majority always give the vast majority a bad image.

How much of that is a case of other drivers being more careful around HGVs rather than good HGV drivers?

Tbh I’d agree anywa, especially in comparison to bus/taxi drivers who seem to actually want to run you down.

Man of Honour
How much of that is a case of other drivers being more careful around HGVs rather than good HGV drivers?

Tbh I’d agree anywa, especially in comparison to bus/taxi drivers who seem to actually want to run you down.

What chance have you got against drivel like that?

You’re wasting your time Scanny, pearls before swine the way I see it.

Caporegime

I’d say the reverse to be frank, a lot of driving an artic is anticipation of the crazy actions of car - and other - drivers and allowing for it, I’m forever leaving bigger and bigger gaps in front of me , especially approaching motorway slip roads for example, because a car driver will almost certainly put himself in my braking space, these things won’t stop on a sixpence alas....

What chance have you got against drivel like that?

:)
You’re wasting your time Scanny, pearls before swine the way I see it.
True enough mate. :D

Except cyclists and your sweeping generalisations about them earlier in the thread are still valid.
One exception here tbh, and for that reason my sweeping generalisation is predominantly valid, car, Van,bus & hgv drivers have all had to a greater or lesser degree training to obtain a license, cyclists haven’t and the actions of the vast vast majority of them who ride with an “ I'm vulnerable but will ride like an idiot regardless” attitude just confirms my perception of the vast majority of them.

As I say,they are a menace to themselves and those around them without any comprehension as to why in the main.

Trust me, if you were to spend a day sat in the passenger seat of my rig watching the actions of those around me, your views would markedly change.

Man of Honour
Can I ask why you and some others in here seem to think that you either drive a car or ride a bike? Your implication being that somehow if you ride a bike your social standing is less than If you drove?

It's almost as If the millions of drivers on our roads dont also own a bike that they regularly use.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-ride-car-dehumanise-professors-a8842401.html

Road safety and psychology professors are calling for people to avoid using the word “cyclist” after a study concluded the word dehumanises people who ride bikes and may put them at increased risk of road aggression.

The study, conducted by researchers at Queensland University of Technology and the University of Melbourne, Australia, found a link between cyclists and deliberate acts of aggression from drivers.

According to the researchers, cyclists have been conceptualised as being “not completely human” and a minority group by non-cyclists, making them more likely to be targets of deliberate aggression.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . I’m forever leaving bigger and bigger gaps in front of me . . .
I'm sure you do.

However, as I drive on Motorways I am absolutely horrified by how near to a slow moving car in front lorries often seem to drive, much closer than most car drivers would position themselves.

I can only imagine that this is done to intimidate the (often elderly) car driver. This deplorable practice is particularly apparent in 50 MPH average speed limit sections.

Man of Honour
What drivel? I agreed with them, while offering a question to ponder, Jesus.

You asserted, (no doubt just in your opinion), that bus/taxi drivers seem to actually want to run people down, that to me constitutes drivel.
I drove a Black Cab in London for just shy of thirty years, all I was interested in, was picking up fares, and earning a living.
Running someone down, either by accident or design, would result in down time, explaining things to the police, and form filling, all things which would prevent me from working, and earning.
Ergo, I did my best to leave everyone unscathed, pedestrians, cyclists, and other vehicles.
I also drove articulated trucks all over U.K. and Europe for around twelve years, and encountered many car drivers who’d try to squeeze into non existent gaps between me and the vehicle ahead of me, apparently in the mistaken belief that I could stop on the proverbial dime.

Caporegime
You asserted, (no doubt just in your opinion), that bus/taxi drivers seem to actually want to run people down, that to me constitutes drivel.
I drove a Black Cab in London for just shy of thirty years, all I was interested in, was picking up fares, and earning a living.
Running someone down, either by accident or design, would result in down time, explaining things to the police, and form filling, all things which would prevent me from working, and earning.
Ergo, I did my best to leave everyone unscathed, pedestrians, cyclists, and other vehicles.
I also drove articulated trucks all over U.K. and Europe for around twelve years, and encountered many car drivers who’d try to squeeze into non existent gaps between me and the vehicle ahead of me, apparently in the mistaken belief that I could stop on the proverbial dime.

And yet every day I see constant abuses of the road by both, running red lights, keeping the dirtiest engines on all day sitting on a street that millions of people use, going well too fast.

Not saying they’re all evil no gooders, but there’s definitely a different level of care to my eye. I know they have to deal with very unsavoury characters (to be commended), but still.

Caporegime
I'm sure you do.

However, as I drive on Motorways I am absolutely horrified by how near to a slow moving car in front lorries often seem to drive, much closer than most car drivers would position themselves.

I can only imagine that this is done to intimidate the (often elderly) car driver. This deplorable practice is particularly apparent in 50 MPH average speed limit sections.
I see this often myself,I spend a lot of time on motorways as you can imagine I’m sure, and to be fair from behind you can’t tell who’s driving the vehicle in front, unfortunately though, you leave a large gap and a car or two will slot into it, especially in roadworks, I just set my cruise control to ~48mph (which is usually faster than a car speedometer be because I’m calibrated whereas they are not) and try to go with the flow....

Not to excuse the sit on the car in fronts bumper brigade (of which there’s plenty) but as I say frequently the trucker has left a safe gap but Joe car/van driver just views that as a space to jump into....

Soldato
A good idea, I'm sick to death of adult cyclists cannoning through pedestrianised areas, coming fast from behind with no warning and you decide to step sideways and you'd end up with you pelvis in pieces.
The wife had her elbow knocked up as some cretin sped by recently. The precinct has a 'cyclists dismount' sign but nobody is there to enforce it

Soldato
That's really not cheap - you can already buy cycle insurance for ~£20 a year.

Motor insurance is expensive because of the ridiculous amounts of damage motorists cause - bicycles simply aren't in the same league.

Fair enough then. Compulsory insurance if on the road for £20. I've had issues with cyclists several times one even just swerved for no reason out into the middle of the road (I'd put money on it being an attempted scam), but I always hang a good 5/10m back until having a clear lane to pass on. For all the bad cyclists out there, there are far more good ones in my experience. Like the drivers, its the odd idiot that ruins it.

Back
Top Bottom