• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Fire Shots At AMD’s 7nm Graphics Technology

Caporegime
OP
It is a fact that NVidia have a power efficient card and could/will do the same with 7nm. I have always been a proponent of power efficiency for a reason and that is quiet gaming. The more heat, the harder the fans work and the louder the gaming experience. My experience with Fermi was limited to a 560Ti and that needed a bios flash to add volts, as it was unstable (Gigabyte) but prior to that, I had AMD cards and lower range, as I had young children then and they came first. Not sure what Spoffles problem is with me but my broad shoulders have had enough and being honest, it is nothing short of nasty.

Soldato
With simple undervolting of Vega though, no extensive work (and the same for Pascal if it's beneficial) I would imagine that Vega isn't THAT far behind.

In most situations the Gp104 has the advantage to Vega in perf/watt, where Vega in most game engines has better performance so there's not much in it really. There are far more people posting in our forums affected by psu issues and coil buzz/whine crashing on Vegas though. In niche, mobile or just Sff/htpc form factors Nvidia rule supreme. After all the talk from Amd over Fiji Nano's performance vs mm metric, why was the Vega Nano cancelled?.

However what was always overlooked was the cost of manufacture for Vega, the hbm supply issues, the variance in hbm package height causing temp issues, price at release, the fact that aib's initially didn't want to touch Vega. No mobile vega dgpu just polaris and vega igp.

Mining boom didn't help things either.
However it doesn't change the fact that amd made the same mistake twice (Fiji/Vega), so third time lucky this time around.

Soldato
Nvidia is right lol

They’ve built a gigantic chip on 16nm
And yet it’s still better than anything today at 7nm

7nm Turing is going to be awesome when it arrives, same power consumption as now and I estimate 50% performance boost at each tier

Then on new architecture and refined 7nm+ another 50 to 80%

At this rate, 4K 120hz on a single card should be possible in 2 or 3 years

Soldato
Nvidia is right lol

They’ve built a gigantic chip on 16nm
And yet it’s still better than anything today at 7nm

7nm Turing is going to be awesome when it arrives, same power consumption as now and I estimate 50% performance boost at each tier

Then on new architecture and refined 7nm+ another 50 to 80%

At this rate, 4K 120hz on a single card should be possible in 2 or 3 years

50% at each tier. I would like some of what you have been smoking. If you said 50% price hikes at each tier you would be more believeable.

Associate
Thread is hillarious - they are only graphic cards. You buy the one that provides the spec you need. I’m waiting for navi to compare to NV current offerings before I replace an rx460 and rx480. Don’t care who makes the card.

Permabanned
Personaly I'm waiting for 7nm NV gpu with 700 pound price tag. What 700 will get me I WILL BUY as tats my GPU price cutoff limit.

I'm waiting for NAVI..... to shatter everyone's dream as AMD does last few years with every card :D

Soldato
Personaly I'm waiting for 7nm NV gpu with 700 pound price tag. What 700 will get me I WILL BUY as tats my GPU price cutoff limit.

I'm waiting for NAVI..... to shatter everyone's dream as AMD does last few years with every card :D

Vega 56/64 and 7 are good/very good cards so I don't really see anything wrong with them. They're doing well to produce cards even that competitive considering the tiny budget they had to work with.

Soldato
Radeon VII will wipe the floor with any Turing card at DP work, that hardly makes it inferior.:)

Or you could pay £2800 for a Titan V if you want something a little bit faster at DP.
Well...erm.....it’s a gaming card and that’s why we’re all here.

Soldato
Well...erm.....it’s a gaming card and that’s why we’re all here.

No it's really a compute card that can game. It was designed as a compute card first and foremost. AMD for years have been designing one size fits all architectures to save on r and d or that's what it looks like from my end.

Some believe that something happened to Navi and that Vega 7 was never even meant to come into the gaming space.

Permabanned
i love this Excuse. But You can also do compute on it.
Who to **** cares ?? Like 8 out of 10 people buying those cards Titans or Vega VII USE THEM FOR GAMING.
And even with wasting spavce for RT cores and stuff 2080 on 12nm is still better GAMING card than VII and cheaper to produce.

I think AMD is happy that NV went with them RT cores. Image if they just used that space for more gaming stuff. It's like 40-50% of chip. If they not went with that and had ful on RT free gaming card at 700 quid. AMD could close the gpu division down as they would have nothing interesting for GAMERS .

Back
Top Bottom