Archery

Soldato
Hi all,
any keen toxophilists in the house?

I did a 6 week course usign a traditional longbox a long time ago.
I now want to take it up again but will probably use recurve or compound as the draw strength required for longbow will likely eave my arthritic neck and spine begging me to stop.

So, talk to me Goose........ what bow do you use? where do you shoot? What do you suggest i look at as beginners setup?

Thanks all.

Soldato
I'm also interested in this.

My dad has done archery for about 50yrs on and off and has loads of trophies from his youth. He bought me a bow when i was around 13 and we were out a few times together to a woodland range. Unfortunately he works abroad a lot so we never got any consistency i needed to stick with it.

I've sometimes considered taking it up again as i believe the place we went isn't far from where i live now. Only issues really are time. I play football and go running so squeezing in another hobby into family life is tricky.

Presumably the best option would be to get to a taster day at a local club?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Used to do it when I was 16, spent around £120 getting a recurve starter set, bow, arrows, armguard, tab stand, quiver. Obviously nearly the cheapest you could get. Did it for a year or so but then moved away and gave it up. :(

Was a local club back home, used to target shoot indoors in the winter(short range) and on a sports field in the summer, enjoyed it. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, shoot compound but havent picked the bow up since August last year. Bad tennis elbow in my right arm meant i couldnt draw the bow. Touch wood its just starting to get easier & less painful. Might try my old lower poundage compound bow at easter.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Longbow archer here and member of Chessington Bowmen.

I mostly do Target Archery but really enjoy field archery with 3D Targets, must do more of that this year!

I only shoot out doors as indoors distance is never enough, I shot all year round.

my suggestion would be to go to a clubs taster day or redo a beginners course as its been so long since you last shot and see what takes your fancy.

Soldato
There's at least one longer thread in here about archery but it's not been updated in a while.

I took up archery just under 2 years ago. Usually shoot recurve indoor & out but have just picked up an American flatbow for some fun in the garden and around the woods. I'm not great but I'm improving. Looking forward to the outdoor season getting going properly now the evenings are longer.

Associate
quite new to archery and doing not to bad. Question for anyone who can help my bow at present (recurve) is at 25 lbs with a draw of 26 inches im using 1200 spine arrows with an additional xs wings fletches that make a real difference my question is my set up is recommended at 800 or 900 spine when I look at arrow charts on line. Before I go spending on more arrows can anyone clarify this is the correct spine ? As the 1200s are doing good also tried the decathlon club 500s there ok at short ranges any advice would be great. Using a clicker also so know my draw is good at 26"

Back
Top Bottom