T6 Transporter Campervan Conversion

Soldato
OP
@TheDean

As above, get a 6 speed manual or a DSG if that's your thing

Try and get a T32, the extra payload is worth it

Tailgate -v- Barn Door is a personal preference thing really. I've got barndoor, I do sometime think about converting to tailgate but barndoor has advantages too. Don't discount a van that ticks all the other boxes if it's not got a tailgate.

If you plan to carry passengers regularly then a traditional side-kitchen layout bed that allows the seat to be moved forwards when travelling is probably worth investigating, otherwise the rear passengers are a long way back. It's also worth investigating the less traditional layout of a rear kitchen and seating at the front (Jerba Sanna is one example) although not if you're tall, the beds are compromised on length!

A lot of the conversion specific advice I have probably isn't relevant if you're using an established conversion company.

I'll pop up a conversion thread with some photos in, I didn't grab a great deal of photos when doing the work as my phone camera was broken :(

Thank you ever so much @task & @MrKnifey . MrKnifey, Did you get my trust? If not, please do trust me, and I'll email you straight back.

I wonder how realistic it is to have different companies do different sections of the van? i.e. One to do roof, one to fit units, one to fit internals?

I'm concerned about budget if I'm honest. I originally penciled in £22k for van £18k for converting but that now seems unrealistic. I'll keep doing my research. I think I need to go to a trade show? Can anyone recommend any? Once I've done that, and spoken to a few companies, I think I'll be a bit more confident and confortable

Soldato
OP
Ill trust you in morning. If your spending that sort of money, speak to Ed at Celtic Camper Conversions (Tell him Andrew from Remapping the Way sent you) or speak to Mike at New Wave Campers..

Thank you @MrKnifey I've not yet received a trust, but would be keen to. I spoke to Ed this afternoon. He was great to speak to. He was going to email me a van they are selling, but never received anything. I'll ring him again if I don't get anything by Friday. O enjoyed speaking to him

In terms of New Wave, they're quoting £24k for conversion which is a huge amount of money. I'll wait to see what the quote comes back with.

Soldato
OP
Thanks to @MrKnifey for supporting me via trust.

@task - I've emailed the guy who you bought the wooden units from, and I'll phone him tonight as he's happy to help, which is really kind of him. I'll let you know how I get on, as I suspect he'll know quite a few good people, and I can go from there :D

Soldato
@TheDean Pete at Majestic Wood makes nice units, ive used a few. But the likes of Celtic/New Wave/Dirty Weekender will make their own bespoke units. If you wanted to go Majestic Wood Design type of setup, its the conversions we deal with then.

Back
Top Bottom