Police arrest man after girl, 6, found dead on the isle of bute

Soldato
I remember reading a question years ago that tests if someone is a psychopath. The question was;

On your way walking to work someone in front of you collapses and has a serious medical incident. You look around and nobody else is there but you..do you: A. Stop and try to help. B. Call 999 on your mobile phone, or C. Walk past and let someone else deal with it?

A psychopath will answer C, because they see it as making them late for work.
Where answer D. ;)

D. Get mobile phone out and log on to Facebook or OCuk forum and make a new Post and post some pictures/Video of someone collapsing in front of you

Man of Honour
This kid is a psychopath.

I've had the unfortunate experience of having been around one (medically tested) for a few years. Although being a psychopath doesn't make them bad people, it also doesn't make them good people either. They have no inner moral compass and feel little for anyone else. The only time they feel anything is if they need you for some reason.

I remember reading a question years ago that tests if someone is a psychopath. The question was;

On your way walking to work someone in front of you collapses and has a serious medical incident. You look around and nobody else is there but you..do you: A. Stop and try to help. B. Call 999 on your mobile phone, or C. Walk past and let someone else deal with it?

A psychopath will answer C, because they see it as making them late for work.

I think that's not definitely true. I think a psychopath(*) might decide to call 999. They wouldn't care about the other person, but they might want to fit in to some extent for their own convenience. For example, if they were in a high position in a business they might decide that ignoring this person might result in adverse publicity that might negatively impact their career. If not, they might simply decide that the inconvenience to them of standing out that way might outweigh the inconvenience to them of calling 999. They might even have their own code of ethics based on their own reasoning. Not caring about anyone doesn't necessarily rule out a code of ethics.

* IIRC that term isn't officially used any more, but it'll do anyway.

Soldato
I think that's not definitely true. I think a psychopath(*) might decide to call 999. They wouldn't care about the other person, but they might want to fit in to some extent for their own convenience. For example, if they were in a high position in a business they might decide that ignoring this person might result in adverse publicity that might negatively impact their career. If not, they might simply decide that the inconvenience to them of standing out that way might outweigh the inconvenience to them of calling 999. They might even have their own code of ethics based on their own reasoning. Not caring about anyone doesn't necessarily rule out a code of ethics.

Indeed, it would be perfectly within a psychopaths profile to stay and help. But not out of any sense of altruism. rather, only if he felt that it would be to his advantage to do so.

Soldato

* IIRC that term isn't officially used any more, but it'll do anyway.

I got the question from Dr. Kevin Dutton Ph D. The person I talked to was a clinically diagnosed psychopath. I can see where your coming from when you say about that they could stay and help even if its just to gain favour with someone they are targetting. But the bit of the question that is the most significant is that nobody else is around. So if they do nothing nobody will know. The typical psychopath doesn't think ahead, this is why a lot of them end up being criminals and end up in prison because they make short term decisions. The likes of me and you can balance the reasons for stopping, helping or not. But all they care about is being late for work.

I agree psychopaths could follow a code of ethics. But its a bit like friendship with a psychopath. The one I knew disappeared for 5 years, then re-appeared like nothing had happened. They can cut you out instantly and have no emotion good or bad about doing it. When the one I knew came back she acted like she'd only been gone an hour. They have no long term bond to anything. They will be your most best friend, and follow all the code of ethics. But if it becomes too much hassle they will drop you like a lead balloon and think nothing of it, no matter how long you've known them. It was a headf**k for me when that happened and took many years to get over. I only got over it because that is what all psychopaths do. If it suits them they will do it. If they get bored or its not a challenge anymore they will do a 180 and disappear.

This kid probably did this on impulse. But he has no feelings of shame. To him its like killing a plastic dummy. When people around him are shocked about his actions he'll sit there laughing about it as he's only seeing peoples reactions. He doesn't know what the fuss is about. He'd do it again in a heart beat when the opportunity revealed itself to him. He can never be trusted, especially because he's killed once. There is no mental taboo for him not to do it again.

Soldato
But its a bit like friendship with a psychopath. The one I knew disappeared for 5 years, then re-appeared like nothing had happened. They can cut you out instantly and have no emotion good or bad about doing it. When the one I knew came back she acted like she'd only been gone an hour. They have no long term bond to anything. They will be your most best friend, and follow all the code of ethics. But if it becomes too much hassle they will drop you like a lead balloon and think nothing of it, no matter how long you've known them. It was a headf**k for me when that happened and took many years to get over. I only got over it because that is what all psychopaths do. If it suits them they will do it. If they get bored or its not a challenge anymore they will do a 180 and disappear.

Was this a "girlfriend"?

Soldato
The one I knew disappeared for 5 years, then re-appeared like nothing had happened. They can cut you out instantly and have no emotion good or bad about doing it. When the one I knew came back she acted like she'd only been gone an hour.

Now you have me worried!:p

I do this!

I can not-talk to somebody for years and then just, quite literally, pick up the conversation where it left off.

I also fail to comprehend why people get upset when talking about politics and other matters

(And it is always the subjects that are the most interesting to talk about too! :confused: )

I haven't killed anybody yet though! (Or even done anything criminal) Mostly I just prefer to keep my own company. Machines are OK but I dont really get people..

:p

Ho Humm

Soldato
Was this a "girlfriend"?

No she had her own love life (leaned to women). But she made herself a loyal friend. Like when your trying to gauge someone new and that person proves their loyalty when you never asked them to, repeatedly, then one day disappears for 5 years for no reason it spins the mind around as you start thinking it was something you did. It didn't make sense.

I've no bad feelings towards her, especially because I know how she is. We parted on good terms. It was a learning experience. It's not every day you get to meet someone like that :)

Soldato
No she had her own love life (leaned to women). But she made herself a loyal friend. Like when your trying to gauge someone new and that person proves their loyalty when you never asked them to, repeatedly, then one day disappears for 5 years for no reason it spins the mind around as you start thinking it was something you did. It didn't make sense.

I've no bad feelings towards her, especially because I know how she is. We parted on good terms. It was a learning experience. It's not every day you get to meet someone like that :)
That’s very interesting. From the little bits I’ve read over the years I’d come to the understanding that psychopaths very rarely, if ever, develop real genuine friendships. I sort of figured they’d only ever enter in to ‘friendships’ where they saw something in it for themselves. Obviously depends how far along the ‘scale’ they are I guess.

Soldato

Ah, it least it wasn't a closer relationship for you. Still, an unsettling experience.
Years ago, I had a superior that many times mentioned the phrase "like ships that pass in the night". It's very true, having now experienced it for myself, but at the time thought of it as quite cynical.

Soldato
Well, It would appear that the scumbag the sumbags, scumbag Lawyer, is appealing the sentence!

(The sentence mind! Not conviction, which would be justifiable if there is a case that there might have been a miscarriage of justice)

I wonder how many more years he can milk the system for at a QC's billable hours rates?

I dare say there will be a second home in Tuscony, or perhaps a nice new Bentley, to be had from all this by the time it is finally over!

:/

Caporegime
Well, It would appear that the scumbag the sumbags, scumbag Lawyer, is appealing the sentence!

(The sentence mind! Not conviction, which would be justifiable if there is a case that there might have been a miscarriage of justice)

I wonder how many more years he can milk the system for at a QC's billable hours rates?

I dare say there will be a second home in Tuscony, or perhaps a nice new Bentley, to be had from all this by the time it is finally over!

I think you are being a bit harsh on the lawyer that was assigned to him

I mean, his legal team got a fair wedge of money, but not disproportionate amount for the time they've been working on it - £14,000

The Scottish Legal Aid Board said: “Legal aid is paid directly to lawyers to represent people accused of serious crimes, including those viewed as being of an abhorrent nature, to help ensure a jury can reach an appropriate verdict in a timely manner.”

Not enough for a Bentley or Second home.

Worth reading:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47737556

Soldato

Personal stuff aside the sentence will be politically/socially motivated to curtail the baying mobs. You know the kind of people who are angelic in nature and actions. The sentence from a legal point of view considering his age does seem quite steep. But what choice do the judges have. I would imagine it will be reduced when the timing is right.

Back
Top Bottom