New essential Android apps thread

Caporegime
I have been an Apex man for years but like the look of that!

I think it's time to do another customization marathon to go with the Pie update.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Looking for a graphics app that can help me quickly knock up some "artwork", a la Cold War Steve...

Dfwad-Aa-WAAIe-Lz4.jpg

I guess I just need something with smart select, crop etc. I can use Photoshop (desktop) but I'm after something on my phone :)

Thanks.

Soldato
Poweramp now supports Chromecast and supports Google Assistant voice commands: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...-support-and-google-assistant-voice-commands/

T97r8njl.jpg.png

You can change within the settings where the cast icon is, or just completely disable it if you don't need it. It also offers controls on the sound settings to the CC as well:

1U5GZarl.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

What keyboard is everyone using? GBoard is working fine for me but I'm starting to notice the GIF searches are actually being filtered for some reason, even though I've set SafeSearch to off. I tried SwiftKey again but for some bizarre reason, web searching is not supported on Sony devices which I do sometimes use on GBoard.

Soldato
I've been on SwiftKey for donkeys years. The predictions even after the Microsoft acquisition have been spot on. It still feels laggy and bloated at times but I can't move onto anything without struggling. I've tried gboard many times and just failed to get along with it.

Associate
I've been on SwiftKey for donkeys years. The predictions even after the Microsoft acquisition have been spot on. It still feels laggy and bloated at times but I can't move onto anything without struggling. I've tried gboard many times and just failed to get along with it.

I'll echo all that. Tried a few others over the years including the Samsung one on S9+ and still go back to SwiftKey.

On that subject I've even dumped Samsungs dialer, contacts and messages apps for Google varients. Google Dialer is a hacked one off XDA as the version from Google direct is incompatible. Spam notification maybe doesn't work though did notify me other day to possible spam call - not that I get many spam calls. Preferring the Google varients.

Soldato
Any suggestions for video editors? Trimming, editing, slow motion, brightness adjustments, that kind of thing. I don't mind paying a bit but the first app I downloaded was £25 to upgrade to the full version which is a bit steep for something I'd only use occasionally.

Caporegime
Can someone please recommend me a slick gallery app? I am done with Picktures (it won't let me delete anything). Have tried Memoria but don't like it.

Soldato
Kiwi Browser now supports extensions: https://www.xda-developers.com/kiwi-browser-google-chrome-extensions-android/

From the XDA forum post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79343881&postcount=2052
Hi everyone,

A new release of Kiwi Browser is available:

Version Upsilon (April 16, 2019)
This is the 1-year anniversary release of Kiwi Browser.

This version adds support for (real) Chrome Extensions.

Learn more at: https://www.xda-developers.com/kiwi-...sions-android/

Enjoy!
Arnaud.

Had a quick play with it with uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, Decentraleyes and Nano Defender and haven't noticed any major issues so far (although some ads do get through but the developer found the bug and is already on it). Also installed xBrowserSync and that is working fine as well with Kiwi and desktop Firefox. Bitwarden also works too, although not as good as an app with autofill support as you need to press the menu button then Bitwarden to fill in your details. Kiwi really is becoming the best browser on mobile so far.

The update is currently an XDA exclusive for 24 hours so it should be rolled out to the Play store soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom