Need help with Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev4

Associate
At first hi to all!
Have a problem with with my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev4, with latest available BIOS F3.

System:

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU - AMD FX-8320( Vishera 32nm Technology)
RAM - 24.0GB Kingston KVR16N11/8 Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 990FXA-UD3 rev.4
Graphics - SMBX2331 (1920x1080@59Hz) 4096MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Gigabyte)
Cooler Master Blizzard T2 cooler.
Computer fans - 2 - from font to inside,one from top to outside and one from back to outside.

BIOS current settings

Found this from somewhere overclockers forum:

Same settings on my system when on idle:

Now finally - problem is that i cant run prime95, probably only minute or so and amd overdrive thermal margins get every second lower and lower,tried overdrive stability test and let to thermal margins probably 9C left and HwMonitor Package temp was around 60-65C,just scared to let it run more,same thing with prime95,as my temps only rised and did not stop. When i run games,everything is ok,no problems,no shutdowns,nothing.
But why i cant run prime? Overdrive stability test? Just replaced today thermal paste and same thing all the time. Maybe i need to change something in BIOS,but i am not expert on that,only thing i did today is rised it from 3500 MHz to 3600MHz,but it did worked before that same way,turbo mode in BIOS is not enabled. Memory channel a timing settings and channel b are all in auto. Cool and quiet are enabled:

Had before Corsair Hydro Series™ H60 High Performance CPU Cooler / 120mm,but it died and replaced it with old cooler i had. Can it be because of that CPU cooler? I dont tested it with previous CPU cooler,so dont know if that worked with prime95 or not.

Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

I am afraid that your cooler just isn't up to the job of cooling your cpu when it's overclocked. The Coolermaster T2 is not a good cooler and in this review came near the bottom of the comparison table. It's fine for running at stock as it's just meant to replace the stock cooler but once you start overclocking it quickly get's overwhelmed. The FX8000 series suck a lot of power and throw out a lot of heat when overclocked so it's no wonder such a feeble cooler can't cope. You either need to get a bigger and better cooler or find a lower clockspeed that the T2 can handle. It should be noted that your normal temps are not going to be anywhere near as high as when running Prime95.

Associate
OP
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

I am afraid that your cooler just isn't up to the job of cooling your cpu when it's overclocked. The Coolermaster T2 is not a good cooler and in this review came near the bottom of the comparison table. It's fine for running at stock as it's just meant to replace the stock cooler but once you start overclocking it quickly get's overwhelmed. The FX8000 series suck a lot of power and throw out a lot of heat when overclocked so it's no wonder such a feeble cooler can't cope. You either need to get a bigger and better cooler or find a lower clockspeed that the T2 can handle. It should be noted that your normal temps are not going to be anywhere near as high as when running Prime95.

Hi,thank you for answer,as i sayd,i only changed to 3600MHz yesterday,before that it was on auto what is 3500MHz,that did not changed nothing,because i tried before that run prime95 already. Yeah you are probably right about this old CPU cooler,i was thinking to buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO,maybe this will help....... ?

Back
Top Bottom