What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Hereditary. Quite enjoyable, if not a little too surreal for its own good. Some disturbing scenes, especially toward the end; not a film to watch with the kids (or Grandma...)

Soldato
Necromentia.

When you think of horror movies, you naturally think of Pearry Reginald Teo Zhang Pingli and the 12 movies he has variously written, directed, and/or produced since 2002. Necromentia is undoubtedly his best work.

Travis (played by the popular and mildly competent Chad Grimes) is a heroin-addicted misanthrope who tortures people for money. His mentally and physically disabled younger brother Thomas (Zach Cumer) is confined to a wheelchair. They subsist on a meagre allowance from their deceased parents' estate, which is barely enough to maintain their appallingly low standard of living.

Travis visits Connor to beg for a raise in his allowance, but is told the will is too carefully written, and its conditions cannot be altered.

Travis' problems are seriously compounded when Thomas is visited by Mr Skinny, who encourages him to murders his babysitter and strings his entrails around the living room. This is the inciting incident that triggers a meeting with Morbius, who wants Travis to find Hagen so he can lure him into hell, where he is told he can find Elizabeth.

Told in non-chronological fashion for reasons that are not apparent until the final scene, Necromentia makes good use of its modest $300,000 budget. The special effects are solidly practical, the lighting is carefully considered, the gore is realistic, and the narrative unfolds with a grimly inexorable logic.

If you're in the mood for healthy dose of sadism, masochism, torture, murder, and necrophilia, this is absolutely the movie for you.

I rate Necromentia at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an impressively brutal 8/10 on IMDB.

Sounds good. Going to add it to my watch list.

Soldato
The mist was good to. Im not a king fan but theres certainly been some good adaptions amongst all the low budget dregs.

did a google. Lots we missed.

Carrie
Children of the corn
The running nan
Apt pupil
Lawnmower man
Misery
etc

lawnmower man - really?

i actually didn't like the running man, mainly because the book had a better story. They should remake it.

i seem to remember firestarter and christine not being terrible, but yeah, there are more bad SK films than good ones.

Associate
Missing Link (20019) - 6/10

A run of the mill animated adventure. The animation is truly amazing and has obviously been put together with love, care and attention to detail, but the rest of the film is nothing special.

It’s too slow for young children, too boring and unoriginal for adults, and although there’s plenty of jokes and slapstick, most of them don’t lead to more than a snicker.

Associate
This is the End (2013)

Knew nothing about the film or what to expect but with Seth Rogan in it assumed it was a comedy. Bit of a slow starter but found it pretty funny and mostly enjoyed it.

7/10

Soldato
I just watched Ready Player One. I enjoyed it. Also, it was the first ever UHD 4k HDR Blu-ray I have ever seen, and I was pretty impressed with the quality. I'm going to try and get a few more UHD 4k Blu-rays now as it does improve the film watching experience.

Soldato
Glass - Not sure how I missed the reviews of this. I wish I didn't. There's 129mins of my life I'm never getting back.

Shockingly bad film, which is a shame as I really like Unbreakable and to a lesser extent Split. This, however, is a stinking turd of a movie. Its also so badly made I was lost for words. The fight scenes, the music, the camera angles. WTF.

1-10

Soldato
Bohemian Rhapsody 8/10 solid enjoyable movie, cast did a really good job, nicely made. Don't think it should have been anywhere near the Oscar Best Picture List to be honest it was good but not that good. Remie Malik brought Freddie Mercury to life really well and was more credible for Best Actor.

Crimes of Grindelwald 6/10 nicely made, nicely acted but a bit lacking in pacing and it was difficult to pick out the acts and the finale was a bit flat. Plainly they were trying too hard to pour Potter-lore into the film. Felt that Dan Fogler's no-maj character was poorly used, especially considering how well he was used in the first film. Surprisingly I thought Depp was ok in this and didn't over-act it too badly. Eddie Redmayne and Jude Law were both good and I can see that axis driving future movies. They just need to tighten up the story telling.

Caporegime
Bohemian Rhapsody was absolutely superb. We almost missed it at the cinema, in fact I think we got the last screening before it was pulled and even then the cinema was packed. I'm so glad we made the cinema as there are so few films out there that can really highlight the sound and theatre of a cinema as well as this. It was excellent.

As for last night's film, Annihilation, this is a proper mind-**** this one. It seems a bit lost at times, bit of Contact with a bit of ET and a bit of Event Horizon, and the last 1/4 of the film was dragged out to the point where I just fast forwarded past it all but it featured the most messed up creature I've ever seen in a film and the plot was fantastic. It's one of those open to interpretation endings as well which I usually despise but the fact I'm still thinking about it now just highlights how good it is at doing what it set out to do: make you think.

8/10, go watch it. Not one for the kids however.

Associate
Bumblebee.
I've not yet seen the last Transformers movie but although by no means actually good I did enjoy all of the others (slept through #2 though...)
I really did like this! Brilliant music throughout and loved the You've Got The Touch namedrop. The scene where Bumblebee spits out the Smiths and Rick Astley cassettes made me genuinely chuckle too.

Loved the bits on Cybertron and was surprised by the brutality of the Decepticons. They are evil I suppose though!

Yep, good film!

Don
The Sisters Brothers - 7/10
Enjoyed this a fair bit, probably the best performance I've seen John C. Reilly give and Joachim Phoenix is his usual intense self. Bit slow at first, but the occasional burst of gun fight and other brutality liven things up. The ending falls a tiny bit flat though.

Soldato
Sorry, my bad. Getting more paranoid the closer it gets to endgame :) thought that's what you were talking about for some reason.:p
Plus I only wake up properly after 12 :)
Tbh the plot in infinity war wouod do nicely as one for end game. Thanos gets what he wants, The End! :D

Back
Top Bottom