*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
How are those ribs looking street?

Not far off done I think. Got some smoked potato salad to go with them too.

Had plans to bust out the smoker (or the Weber!) but whaddya know? It's raining again! :(

Couldn't have asked for a better day here, it's been glorious sunshine all day! :D I was a bit worried earlier in the week when I ordered the meat as every day has been hammering it down and cold.

Soldato
It was around 10 hours all in. I wrapped them after about 4 hours then unwrapped them at the end for an hour with the temperature bumped up slightly. I'm really impressed with Rogers and Sons butchers as they were probably the nicest short ribs I've had, looking forward to getting the St Louis ribs I ordered from them on the BBQ soon.

Associate
I'm looking for a bit of advice on which charcoal to use for a bbq if poss.
I have a few bags of lumpwood for my smoker which work great, but I use them for a bbq aswell, I just have a cheap round bbq I use when making burgers or whatever, and I just fill up the charcoal starter and a full load in there is enough to cover the bottom of the bbq pan, but I've found that the lumpwood, when in the open ( as opposed to the smoker) burns really quickly, I got around an hours burn from them, and i ended up putting the shelf on the lowest setting which is around 3 inches from the bottom of the coal pan, at the end of the cooking, do I just need to use more, or should I use briquettes or something else?

Cheers

Soldato
It was around 10 hours all in. I wrapped them after about 4 hours then unwrapped them at the end for an hour with the temperature bumped up slightly. I'm really impressed with Rogers and Sons butchers as they were probably the nicest short ribs I've had, looking forward to getting the St Louis ribs I ordered from them on the BBQ soon.

They look amazing, and Rogers & Sons are awesome. I have a rack of ~50 day dry aged short ribs from them in the freezer that I'm itching to get on the BBQ!

Soldato
I'm looking for a bit of advice on which charcoal to use for a bbq if poss.
I have a few bags of lumpwood for my smoker which work great, but I use them for a bbq aswell, I just have a cheap round bbq I use when making burgers or whatever, and I just fill up the charcoal starter and a full load in there is enough to cover the bottom of the bbq pan, but I've found that the lumpwood, when in the open ( as opposed to the smoker) burns really quickly, I got around an hours burn from them, and i ended up putting the shelf on the lowest setting which is around 3 inches from the bottom of the coal pan, at the end of the cooking, do I just need to use more, or should I use briquettes or something else?

Cheers
Curious as to what you need to cook 'in the open' for more than an hour?

Weber briquettes have been my go to for ages, can definitely recommend.

Associate
Just a heads up you can buy the Weber Master Touch in grey from go outdoors for £135 - price matched from B&Q (hotukdeals)

Going to order the chimney, lump wood, briquettes, fire lighters, metal brush.

Any other tips or must buys?

Back
Top Bottom