Quick question about No Claims Discount

Soldato
Just a quick question about how NCD/NCB works with motor insurance.

So I've been continually insured (with about 10 different insurers) for 15 years without making a claim, so in theory I have 15yrs NCD.

So what happens when you switch insurers, and you old insurer only lists "9 yrs+" on their documentation? Does that mean you've effectively lost years of NCD because you can't get a document that proves you have 15 years?

Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
You only get a years NCD after a full year with one insurer. If you change insurer mid term your no claims progress for that year is nulled.

I found that out the hard way after cancelling a policy 10 months in once.

Man of Honour
I had this exact scenario recently. I changed from company A to company B at renewal. I had 16 years NCD at that point. I then cancelled my insurance mid term.

Initially company B said I did not have any NCD with them. I put in a complaint and said they should still provide a letter of NCD from the point I terminated the insurance with them, albeit without any additional years. Their customer services agreed and sent a letter with 9 years because that was the maximum their system would allow.

I then complained again and insisted that I wanted a manually generated letter stating I stilk had 16 years. Tbemmheir customer services agreed and sent me one.

Soldato
OP
Company I've just left is Quotemehappy, and now I've told them I'm not renewing they've sent me a letter saying I have "9 or more" years of NCD, which is BS because the document I provided when I joined them 4 years ago said I had 9 years, so they've effectively not given me any more years. Doesn't really matter since my new insurer hasn't asked for NCD proof at all (Hastings Direct). It's still annoying though, and it's a stupid system. They should be legally obliged to give accurate information.

Back
Top Bottom