RIP Diesel?

Soldato
I was advised to avoid diesels as lucky if I hit 6/8k miles a year wanted to avoid replacing dpf filters as again advised would happen allot weeks th little milage

Correct me if I'm wrong as well but when diesel came about the fuel itself was cheaper but now seems around the same cost per litre

Man of Honour
Amazing amount of people are still buying diesel for their 6000 miles a year involving mostly inner city, shopping and schoolruns!

Problem is a lot of the time the spec and availability that ticks the boxes is a diesel after they were pushed so hard the last few years and manufacturers building their offerings around that.

One of my recent purchases was a 3L V6 diesel and all :s

Soldato
I've just bought an 18month old CrytpoDiscovery for £50k which pretty much only comes in Diesel. Certainly the model is now offered with petrol but has such little take up that they are few and far between. Petrol remains woeful for heavier jobs, towing and low down torks so I didn't mind that it was diesel. The unit in the Discovery is pretty sublime too with 330bhp.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
With my A4 I was considering the 272ps Diesel, but then I came to my senses and bought the 252ps 2.0 TFSI. I don't mega miles so it suits us better.

Associate
Diesel has got to die sooner rather than later - No one in their right mind should even be considering a Diesel car if buying new today.

Cities are beginning to tax you harder for driving Diesel cars - And that will only be pushed more and more.

Some people dont have a choice. I do 25k miles plus each year, good luck getting the reliability out of a crappy 3 cylinder turbo that will probably last 2-3years before the engine starts to eat itself.

Soldato
Horses for courses. I know if my commute was longer and I was doing 20k miles per year I probably would consider a diesel. For me they just aren't refined as petrol. Granted I've not owned any but test driven a few and I wasn't impressed with what a lot of them offered. I'm sure there are good ones and I was looking at the 15k market so most were 4 pots.

Permabanned
The airports are the dirtiest places on Earth. Including support vehicles on diesel, and planes.
Next are the ships that travel from China to Europe, Africa, Australia and US.

When the government fixes the airports first, then they will have the right to argue about the individual cars.

Caporegime
The other thing is people now know that diesel isn't suitable if your usage pattern is just short local trips.

No they don't I still have people at work who say they have used theres for short trips all the time and it's been fine once you give it a good thrash once a year for a long trip down south. A nissan Juke.

Yet the owner of a new golf was telling him the light came on after just 2 months of ownership all trips to local train station and back.

I told them they need to do at least a 1 hour drive fortnightly minimum if being driven daily. Not once a year. A half hour drive isn't long enough either it takes 20 mins just for the engine to get to temperature.

Back
Top Bottom