octavia vrs 230 vs 245, or other?

Associate
I posted asking about JCW mini and Fiesta with a baby - and the more I try to be realistic the more I think something larger is needed now we have a 3 wk old fart-monster.

I'm after something fun/quick as I used to have a M135i (which was stolen), so 6ish sec 0-60. I'm put off BMW/Audi/Merc as I'm concerned about another break-in/burglary, and equally anything obviously "hot".

I do a bit of mountain biking, so need a hatch instead of a usual saloon small "flap", but I'm happy whipping off the wheels to fit into a hatchback, so i don't need an estate.

So... I was looking at an Octavia VRS saloon... moderately quick-ish, easy boot entry and sleeper/not overly inviting trouble (especially with the vrs logos removed). Probably looking at a 20k ish budget, so a 12-18 month old one. What's the main differences with the 230 vs 245 and are there known issues to look out for?

Or, have I missed another sleeper with a easy access boot?

Soldato
Skoda have made this nice and complicated but the timeline of the petrol vRS is roughly as follows...

Prefacelift 220bhp
Prefacelift 230bhp (effectively a special edition with extras)
Facelift 230bhp
Facelift '245', 245bhp (effectively a special edition with extras)
Facelift 245bhp
Facelift '245 Challenge', 245bhp (a special edition with extras)

All 245bhp versions get the DQ380 7 speed wet clutch DSG if you opt for an auto, others are the older DQ250 6 speed.

All 245bhp versions get VAQ electronic diff, as does the prefacelift 230bhp.

The 'special edition' cars get extras such as the 19" Xtrem alloys, heated electric seats, black pack, extra infotainment screens, etc.

The non specials get 18" wheels, non electric seats, etc.

As of Aug 2018 they were available to be optioned with virtual cockpit. They also started getting fitted with GPFs around this time.

Edit - to help a bit more, at 12 to 18 months I would expect you're seeing Facelift 230 and '245 Edition' Facelift 245s.

Listing out the elements this particular variety of 245 has over the 230:

VAQ Diff
DQ380 DSG if auto
Black Pack including Gloss Black 19" Xtrem wheels, black roof rails, black grill, black exhausts, black mirrors
Sport dials on the infotainment (g meter, boost gauge, oil temp, power output)
Electric Heated Auto Folding Mirrors
Electric Heated Alcantara seats, with 4 way adjustable lumbar and driver memory function
... I'll more if I remember them :p

Edit 2 - The 245 got 312mm vented rear brakes rather than the 272mm solid rears on the 230. Fronts are 345mm vented on all variants I think.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cheers m8 - but, would you say the 245 is a noticeably better package and worth it over the 230. part of me thinks it's only 15bhp and thus only 6% more power - but the diff appeals as it was massively missing on the M135i (but, i think i need to accept that at 100bhp down, it's not going to have anything like the same pace anyway).

How good is the auto? one to avoid, or surprisingly good?

Soldato
I bought the 'special edition' 245, with DSG. Couldn't be happier with it, won't be going back to manual any time soon, the new gearbox is great.

On the road the 245 has more of an advantage over the 230 than the numbers would suggest I think. If you believe the dyno plots people are getting of stock cars, supposedly they're closer to 260bhp but I'm not sure how much I believe that.

The seats are noticeably better, especially the 4 way adjustments on the lumbar support.

The price difference wasn't massive when I got mine, so to me it didn't really make sense to not go for it. There aren't loads about though, less than 600 of the 245 in the UK.

Not sure I'd say the same for the later 245s that aren't the special editions though.

Can confirm though, won't keep up with a 135i or 140i :p Would probably be reasonably close after a remap though, as that sees the 245 engines to 310-320bhp.

Associate
OP
lol - yeah, not expecting it to keep up with the 135i. just thinking that if it's "only" putting out 240ish bhp then it might not need a lsd as much as the 135 did. especially as its a bigger/heavier car anyway and thus less likely to be driven in such a "bmw" way...

I'll go and have a look/test of a couple this weekend then and have a think...

My heart still wants something small and chuckable like my old mx5 and the fiesta st is probably the closest i can think with 5 doors. But my head keeps saying that I'll be only wanting to change it in a year or 2 when I'm p'd off with the lack of space. I'm kinda spoilt, as I built a Westfield Mega 2000 for a friend and I'm insured on it, so I guess I can get my 2 seater thrills with that when I'm bored, so should prioritise the family over selfish thrills for once...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers, I did wonder about Leon as 2 mates have them - but that's kinda enough to make me want something different, if you know what i mean. Also, I think the FR is too slow and the Cupra is back to theft risk.

Soldato
You can get a Superb with 280bhp, maybe worth a look.

Was just going to post this. I have a superb allbeit a 170bhp diesel but it's the elegance spec so has some nice creature comforts.

Have been really happy with it, and having 2 kids and a dog the estate version just fits everything in no worries.

Soldato
Isn't that up for 30k though?

*shrug* 25 I thought, and the OP's budget was '20-ish'. I was being frivolous anyway.

It's up with a higher price tag than your looking at.

To add the special edition 230s if you get the DSG one they tweaked it so you get the 'farts' on the upshift.

Not the OP, as above it was just a random 'this is cool and almost in budget' suggestion to get him looking at the faster Superbs too. I just handed back my 220ps 2.0 TSI Superb after three years, it was faultless and covered ground very nicely indeed while five up and full of luggage. I never did manage to fill the boot, and it wasn't even the estate!

Associate
OP
lol, yeah, I had spotted that beast of a Superb is available... I did have a look at the 4x4 Superbs, but i think they're just too big... I started this all thinking I missed my MX5 and wanted something small, nimble and easy to park, as 90% of time I'm on my own commuting, so was thinking about Fiesta ST or Mini Cooper S. I think that could work for a year or so, but quickly annoy, so I'd be changing to something larger. So, I thought about a Focus St which moved to Octavia VRS, thinking it's more of a sleeper, be less of a theft target, and not get lads trying to race at traffic lights. And now I'm looking at both Focus ST estate and VRS (potentially estate) - hoping the estate focus is less of a target than the hatchback... I can't imagine I'll be filling the space in an estate with 1 kid and 0 dogs, so I can't see the need to go even larger...

Yesterday I went to have a look at an approved used VRS, but it was sold a few hours earlier. While there, I had a look around the showroom car and compared with my old M135i, it's massive - and that was just the saloon/hatch...

my GAP insurance got back to me saying it will be up to 15 working days to authorise payout, so I guess I should wait a week or 2 before looking at specific cars...

Back
Top Bottom