Bang for buck Workstation CAD 3D Rendering

Associate
Hi all,

I’m an architect setting up my own firm and I am looking for a bang for buck desktop.

I’m not sure about budget but definitely south of £2k and happy to spend much less if I can get away with it.

I’m a computational designer and my workflow is very diverse with software such as Revit, Vectorworks, Autocad, Rhino, Vray, adobe suite etc. I am unlikely to need the machine for gaming.

The machine will need to handle two high quality monitors too, any recommendations for these outside of budget welcome.

It would be great if I could get some suggestions for any off the shelf or build my self options. And whether it is worth holding out for newer generations of any components.

Many thanks in advance,
dot

Soldato
Hi, yes I will be. Mainly using Vray.

Using older benchmarks / older Vray .. you using latest NEXT version ?

GPU rendering
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-2080-2080-Ti-GPU-Rendering-Performance-1242/

CPU

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Takes-the-Single-CPU-Performance-Crown-1214/

Intel wins at performance core count for core count but loses out tenfold in pricing !!

Hybrid system CPU + GPU

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Threadripper-1950X-and-NVIDIA-Titan-Xp-1062/

Personal Bally would push as much as you can on CPU and ram then Cuda cores if needs be .

Associate
OP
Thank You, that's really helpful. I'm not too clued up on the technicalities of PC hardware these days, but am I tight in understanding that a 1950x plugged into an AsRock x399motherboard would give me a good bang for buck build?
I would be very grateful if you or someone else could help me with a shopping list for components, including RAM, GPU, PSU, Cooling, Case etc.

Soldato
Thank You, that's really helpful. I'm not too clued up on the technicalities of PC hardware these days, but am I tight in understanding that a 1950x plugged into an AsRock x399motherboard would give me a good bang for buck build?
I would be very grateful if you or someone else could help me with a shopping list for components, including RAM, GPU, PSU, Cooling, Case etc.

Hybrid system , 16 cores and rtx 2070 which seems currently performs the same as rtx 2080 with VRay !

Gigabyte motherboard , for UK RMA and tech support . Recent thread o. Here about member having to out £20 in the Box to send of for RMA... Very odd !
Forum rep on here as well, only vendor to do both mobo and GPU repair in UK . Also 4 year warranty on the GPU (after registering )
Antec silent case and PSU, 10yr warranty and cracking sale price !

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,959.41 (includes shipping: £19.62)

^^^ swap for 850w unit, same price as 750w !!!

Now x499 and ThreadRipper 3rd gen is out Q4 w **

New boards will up VRM count or better phases but will be expensive to handle 64 cores...

Stop gap solution if you wanted more cores in future but not having to wait till Q4 and pay heavy prices for the board is flagship x399 which handles 32cores just fine now and in theory 48 cores overclocked

CPU based system, cash to spare if your able to hunt for 24 core thread ripper for cheaper
Basic Nvidia workstation card used, unlike above RTX/GTX card they can use True 10bit monitors, if your not going to use these kind of monitors, cheap GPU .

Total: £1,765.64 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hybrid system , 16 cores and rtx 2070 which seems currently performs the same as rtx 2080 with VRay !

Gigabyte motherboard , for UK RMA and tech support . Recent thread o. Here about member having to out £20 in the Box to send of for RMA... Very odd !
Forum rep on here as well, only vendor to do both mobo and GPU repair in UK . Also 4 year warranty on the GPU (after registering )
Antec silent case and PSU, 10yr warranty and cracking sale price !

Total: £1,959.41 (includes shipping: £19.62)

^^^ swap for 850w unit, same price as 750w !!!

Now x499 and ThreadRipper 3rd gen is out Q4 w **

New boards will up VRM count or better phases but will be expensive to handle 64 cores...

Stop gap solution if you wanted more cores in future but not having to wait till Q4 and pay heavy prices for the board is flagship x399 which handles 32cores just fine now and in theory 48 cores overclocked

CPU based system, cash to spare if your able to hunt for 24 core thread ripper for cheaper
Basic Nvidia workstation card used, unlike above RTX/GTX card they can use True 10bit monitors, if your not going to use these kind of monitors, cheap GPU .

Total: £1,765.64 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Thank you kindly for your time and help. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom