Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Mini race report from a hotel in Boston...

18 months ago I ran the Chelmsford marathon in 3hr 27. It was my second marathon and I achieved my goal of running sub 3hr 30. I ran three times a week at the time.

After that race I wasn't sure how to improve and potentially go good for age (at 47, this is sub 3hr10 for me).

I changed how I ran, using input from DP on these forums and the 80/20 book. Initially increased the frequency of runs over a period of months to where I was running 6 or 7 times a week. Nearly all of this running was easy (bottom of zone 2 if you use zones). Once a week I'd do intervals and on a Saturday morning a longer run.

Today at the boston Marathon the wind was fierce. Little/no shelter on the flat route by the coast meant my target pace had to change. Turning a corner on the route into the wind, and maintaining exertion measured by HR, I could see a 30 second/mile drop in pace. I hadn't really prepared for this, but on the few occasions when the wind was on my back I tried to make up the time I was losing. Probably not a good plan.

Right until the final turn I wasn't sure if I'd creep under 3 hours but I did - just. Chip time 2 hr 59 and 21 seconds. A 28 minute pb and good for age by 10 minutes or so.

Feel very pleased and also slightly curious about what I might have done without the wind. Saying that, the route was flat, it was a great temperature and not crowded so it wasn't all bad.

I'm off for a beer and bath. Hope the other runners did well today. I'll try to get into London next year of this time.

Cheers

Soldato
Mini race report from a hotel in Boston...

18 months ago I ran the Chelmsford marathon in 3hr 27. It was my second marathon and I achieved my goal of running sub 3hr 30. I ran three times a week at the time.

After that race I wasn't sure how to improve and potentially go good for age (at 47, this is sub 3hr10 for me).

I changed how I ran, using input from DP on these forums and the 80/20 book. Initially increased the frequency of runs over a period of months to where I was running 6 or 7 times a week. Nearly all of this running was easy (bottom of zone 2 if you use zones). Once a week I'd do intervals and on a Saturday morning a longer run.

Today at the boston Marathon the wind was fierce. Little/no shelter on the flat route by the coast meant my target pace had to change. Turning a corner on the route into the wind, and maintaining exertion measured by HR, I could see a 30 second/mile drop in pace. I hadn't really prepared for this, but on the few occasions when the wind was on my back I tried to make up the time I was losing. Probably not a good plan.

Right until the final turn I wasn't sure if I'd creep under 3 hours but I did - just. Chip time 2 hr 59 and 21 seconds. A 28 minute pb and good for age by 10 minutes or so.

Feel very pleased and also slightly curious about what I might have done without the wind. Saying that, the route was flat, it was a great temperature and not crowded so it wasn't all bad.

I'm off for a beer and bath. Hope the other runners did well today. I'll try to get into London next year of this time.

Cheers

What an amazing time, I managed a 4:23 for the Brighton Marathon and it was hard work for the last 4 miles with head wind coming in off the sea, heading home for a few beers and relaxing with the family!!!

Amazing place to run though .... perfect weather bar the nasty wind

Caporegime
Wow, amazing time under such conditions. Definitely s few more minutes to drop on a calm day!

Glad to see you show how easy volume delivers the results. Age adjusted you are definitely s good bit faster than me.

With that time you are guaranteed to get in to London next year.

Associate
Can’t believe I haven’t seen this discussion before.

Starting running 5 years ago doing parkrun mainly for the first few months, started out at 31:34s.

2 weeks ago I completed my 250th parkrun and my PB currently stands at 21:54s

Last November I did my first Marathon in Las Vegas recording a time of 4:09, and just last week I did my 2nd Marathon in Manchester in a time of 3:57:55.

A sub 4 Marathon was just a dream before but having done Gloucester 20 Mile 4 weeks ago in 2:59 I knew it was possible.

Current best times are:-
5K - 21:54
10K - 46:36
HM - 1:46:59
Marathon - 3:57:55

Am now up to parkrun 252 and plan to do more Marathons in the future.

Soldato
Can’t believe I haven’t seen this discussion before.

Starting running 5 years ago doing parkrun mainly for the first few months, started out at 31:34s.

2 weeks ago I completed my 250th parkrun and my PB currently stands at 21:54s

Last November I did my first Marathon in Las Vegas recording a time of 4:09, and just last week I did my 2nd Marathon in Manchester in a time of 3:57:55.

A sub 4 Marathon was just a dream before but having done Gloucester 20 Mile 4 weeks ago in 2:59 I knew it was possible.

Current best times are:-
5K - 21:54
10K - 46:36
HM - 1:46:59
Marathon - 3:57:55

Am now up to parkrun 252 and plan to do more Marathons in the future.

Wow good work!

Running is great for the mind, body & soul

Get out, switch off and run! Really helped me recover from my Brian tumour op in 2016 and has helped me become more relaxed ...

Underboss
im still a beginner, but not done 12 months yet, trying to get 3 runs a week in, but ive been doing 2, sometimes only the 1

anyway, I have a huge grin on my face right now
full day at work, didnt feel like running today, but i decided to put my run clothes on and try and go for a little jog, ended up doing my first ever run of under 10 min/mile, which was not expecting !!

I wasn't going to do a hard run today, but i did, so HR is quite high

result :
https://www.strava.com/activities/2286992825

another run today after work, not feeling as good as Saturday, but still i managed under 10 min/mile !
i struggled at the end !

https://www.strava.com/activities/2291969262

Caporegime
another run today after work, not feeling as good as Saturday, but still i managed under 10 min/mile !
i struggled at the end !

https://www.strava.com/activities/2286992825

Good stuff but don't fixate on pace, try your best to ignore it. You will get faster ovrrtime as you train. Pace is a product of training, you shouldn't force a faster pace. Slow comfortable runs will see huge gains in fitness

Soldato
Aiming for my first run tonight after the marathon. My legs are fully recovered but my foot is still feeling a bit tender (feels bruised to the touch still). Went for a few walks over the weekend and some of it was through quite uneven fields so not sure if thats aggravated it a little. Hopefully something nice and easy tonight with loosely tied laces won't cause too much issue.

Caporegime
Aiming for my first run tonight after the marathon. My legs are fully recovered but my foot is still feeling a bit tender (feels bruised to the touch still). Went for a few walks over the weekend and some of it was through quite uneven fields so not sure if thats aggravated it a little. Hopefully something nice and easy tonight with loosely tied laces won't cause too much issue.

It is fine, just don't force it.

Soldato
Yeah i found my quads the worst, them hamstrings. Which is odd as it's usually my calves which ache after runs but after the marathon they were ok (or at least ok by comparison)

My foot wasn't too bad last night, although being hungover really didn't help me to enjoy the run. Also starting to wonder if i'm getting too old for 5-a-side. First time i've played for a few weeks (goalkeeper) and things just hurt this morning. Mainly my ankles from saving a few powerful shots with my feet. Then general bruises on my legs from hitting the ground. Didn't help that i was helping a mate out who's team wasn't very good against the top of the league so a very busy night!

@iMacMart What're your thoughts on other marathons now you've done your first? I know you were aiming for sub 4hrs which didn't happen. So you aiming to enter more to hit that goal?

Soldato
This weekend I went and did the Born2Run Glenarm Castle 10km, situated on the north coast of Northern Ireland. This was my first Born2Run event so I didn't know what to expect and was pleased with the well-organised event, with free soup and bread for refreshments and having a few messages on hand as well.

The race itself was interesting as I started near the start of the pack with a colleague and quickly dropped back and decided to run my own race. It was all going well until 3km in and we hit the hill that seemed to run for about 2km. I started to go up the hill with baby steps in the hope that I could keep going without resorting to walking but eventually, I gave in and walked a bit up the hill. I'm glad that I did as I was able to then put on a spurt back on the level and down off the hill. It had been a windy start to the race but once we were in the forest it had calmed down. Heading towards the turn around point, I was faced with a headwind but then a lovely tailwind to push me back. I seemed to pick up the pace towards the end and crossed the line in 58:59, which was 40 seconds slower than my last 10km race on the flat. This had 175m of elevation, all in one go! :(

Lovely medal and I felt a good performance given the course.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2286589052

Soldato
Also what do people do with their medals?

I've only done a handful of races so it's not that bad. But i can imagine for those of you who do a lot they can really start to pile up. Do they just get thrown in a box/drawer?

I only have the London Marathon and now the Brighton Marathon, the wife mounted the London marathon in a picture frame along with my bib etc

Might hang them in my office at home

Soldato
56161763_130779984655088_4100097683366106834_n.jpg

You could always do this...

Back
Top Bottom