BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
The Base BMW system beyond woeful.

Looking to upgrade the X5 already, but not sure replacing the 4" coaxial fronts with components will be enough with the weedy amp within the HU.

It’s generally regarded that the drivers in the car are ok, it’s the amp/processor that most people change to get a significant improvement. I am quoting re the f30 but I can’t see why they’d put even lower spec speakers in other models?

Soldato
it’s the amp/processor that most people change to get a significant improvement.
I posted on aftermarket alpine hu time/graphic equalizer adjustment technique before, for bm, with limited feedback
but, if below website is telling the truth you would need latest bimmertech option to get time adjust
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/39-harman-kardon-vs-hi-fi-vs-standard-audio-for-bmw,
i've found it a useful function to get a good soundstage, the absence of an equalizer until you go >=HK surprising too.

Soldato
I test drove a G30 540i with the base spec speakers. Absolutely atrocious. I couldn't believe how bad the sound was. It was actually a deal breaker.

Man of Honour
I find the HK system in my F20 pretty average, the F10 was much better. A few people have mentioned disconnecting the centre speaker makes a big improvement.

Man of Honour
You must have extremely low standards - the base system sucks

It's absolutely fine for listening to the radio whilst driving which is what most people will do with it. It's much better than the systems they used to fit in the older models. I have the Harmon Kardon system in my current 5 series which is obviously much better but the base system gets unnecessary hate.

Man of Honour
I’ve tried most of the high end car systems and while they are obviously better, the base F10 system really isn’t that bad.

I think it’s just something people like to be quirky about.

Soldato
I’ve got the HK system in my f30 and I’ve yet to find settings that I actually like. Some songs sound good but then others sound either muddled or way too flat and dull. I think I must tried around half a dozen settings ranging from flat to recommend settings I’ve found on the web.

One think I have read is to change the preprocessor type in the cars settings to B&O which although the car doesn’t have it is supposed to make the sound more dynamic. Just need to get e-sys working as it expired back in December and I’ve not bothered to explore ways to get it working again :D

Caporegime
To be fair, the standard sound system in BMWs has always been a bit ****.
Disagree tbh, I found the base setup in my old e39’s and e38’s perfectly acceptable (and that’s from someone who back in the day had nearly £2k worth of aftermarket sound system in his car) and again the base system in my partners f20 is absolutely fine - especially listening to DAB - if you want to cruise around a retail park with grime blasting from your open windows then yes, it’s awful for that purpose, but for normal listening as Fox says, there’s nothing to complain about imo.

Back
Top Bottom