• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII in sleep/power off mode

Associate
When I sleep or power off my PC, the radeon VII fans go on max, until I power off the PSU.

I have tried 2 different radeon VII cards, in 2 different PCs (one is an Razer core EGPU attached to a Mac with Windows/MacOS, the other is a pretty standard gaming PC build).

This also happens in MacOS, as well as Windows 10.

I have only found one reference to this problem, but I have not managed to find the thread ever again.

Obviously, I have only put up with this expecting a firmware fix in future, but this doesn't appear to be happening.

Is it just me or a common problem?

Soldato
This does not happen to me, but when my pc goes to sleep or the pc has been off for a while and i wake it , half my screen has many many strange little green dots split perfectly down the middle of the screen, this goes away after 2 minutes but worries me everytime

Associate
When I sleep or power off my PC, the radeon VII fans go on max, until I power off the PSU.

I have tried 2 different radeon VII cards, in 2 different PCs (one is an Razer core EGPU attached to a Mac with Windows/MacOS, the other is a pretty standard gaming PC build).

This also happens in MacOS, as well as Windows 10.

I have only found one reference to this problem, but I have not managed to find the thread ever again.

Obviously, I have only put up with this expecting a firmware fix in future, but this doesn't appear to be happening.

Is it just me or a common problem?

do you have the latest bios for the VII, there has been 3 including the release bios.

Associate
OP
Did try latest bios from AMD site. Doesn't appear to make a difference.

Power off is generally not an issue, its just one more switch. It's more standby/sleep as I cannot use these modes.

Old Vega 56 and RX580 in same EGPU chassis did not have this issue.

Soldato
Had a Google "GPU fan remains on while PC sleep" and found some results linking this to the Bios power options.

One result

SOLVED. I changed the setting "ACPI Sleep State" to "S3 Suspend to RAM" and it fixed the problem. Everything now sleeps as normal.

Associate
OP
I can check that on the other PC, but primary is a MacBook Pro which doesn't have these kind of settings (and other cards were OK). I think it is specific to the Radeon VII.

Back
Top Bottom