OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Your 6 month old looks so much bigger than our 14 month old.
He's wearing 6 month clothes as well.
He is very long and heavy. Everyone remarks how thick and solid he feels lol.

I'm not small so he's bound to be a long bean. This was one of the few times mum put him in "nice clothes", since we were out all day.

Essentially they continue to get more awesome is what I'm saying.

I look forward to it. As dad, I find breast fed baby to be more pain than joy. I'm quite useless much of the time, so it will be great as he becomes more interactive. On the contrary, mum dreads him growing up :D

Soldato
OP
I look forward to it. As dad, I find breast fed baby to be more pain than joy. I'm quite useless much of the time, so it will be great as he becomes more interactive. On the contrary, mum dreads him growing up :D

If it's anything like us, you get to be fun dad while anything requiring serious emotional support (like stubbing a toe, or feeling a bit tired) will require mummy. So she's probably right to.

It flip-flops though. Today Riley found out what a stinging nettle is the hard way and I was tasked with telling off all the nettles for stinging her and periodically kissing her knuckle better.

Soldato
OP
Also, these lighter evenings are playing merry hell with the bedtime routine. My sweet girl turns into the devil at bedtime now. "it's not dark daddy!" is the harbinger of tantrums, screaming, escape attempts and all the rest.

Anyone else having this? Blackout curtains the only option?

Soldato
Also, these lighter evenings are playing merry hell with the bedtime routine. My sweet girl turns into the devil at bedtime now. "it's not dark daddy!" is the harbinger of tantrums, screaming, escape attempts and all the rest.

Sorry to say we had it with both our kids. I found so called blackout curtains were rubbish, but blinds are good. My only tip would be to try and get the bracket as close to the top of your alcove as possible. I didn't so there's about a 1 inch gap which still let's a bit of light through, good otherwise though.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Sorry to say we had it with both our kids. I found so called blackout curtains were rubbish, but blinds are good. My only tip would be to try and get the bracket as close to the top of your alcove as possible. I didn't so there's about a 1 inch gap which still let's a bit of light through, good otherwise though.

Try closed cassette blinds - we used ones from this company before to allow sleeping during the day after a night shift - the room had the sun hitting it directly and the room remains pitch black

Soldato
I think we have had this topic before but. Do you leave your child in the car while you pay for fuel at the counter.
My scenario is that on my way home i have to pick up his prescription, so will be leaving him in the car for about 3 minutes in the car park.

What do others think of this.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I think we have had this topic before but. Do you leave your child in the car while you pay for fuel at the counter.
My scenario is that on my way home i have to pick up his prescription, so will be leaving him in the car for about 3 minutes in the car park.

I wouldn't do this unless I had no other choice, especially with a keyless car.

Soldato
I wouldn't do this unless I had no other choice, especially with a keyless car.
Depends on the child, i tried this at the weekend however my 5 year old can undo her seatbelt so got out and left my 2 year old in the car who started crying (all while i was filling up). So i then had to take the 2 of them in with me, almost had to buy some chocolate but got though it in the end.

Soldato
Depends on the child, i tried this at the weekend however my 5 year old can undo her seatbelt so got out and left my 2 year old in the car who started crying (all while i was filling up). So i then had to take the 2 of them in with me, almost had to buy some chocolate but got though it in the end.
What? Do you not have childlocks on the car? Tell her not to do that. Look after her baby brother/sister while daddy goes to pay. Lock the car on the way to pay. Done.

Have never bothered taking the little un with me but I usually 9/10 times pay at pump. Always take her with me in any other scenario though (popping into shop etc).

Re: Blackout Blinds
Blackout blinds and black out curtains in the little uns' room. Pitch black throughout the year. I make sure the curtains and blind is shut prior to bed time, light on. She comes into room, switches off the light, "boosh" on her lampshade (like to knock it so it swings - *shrugs*), bed. She's only 21 months atm though so isn't really aware of night time / dark, day time / light yet.

Soldato

So long as i can see the car from the pay kiosk i leave my lad in the car. i also leave the car unlocked. if not in view then i take him with me.

My logic is simple, it is a risk calculation. ie walking accross a forecourt with child vs something happening in the car, which is more likely to be an issue.

and I leave the car unlocked because if something happens and there is a fire or something, i want the car to be accessible by anyone. Again, I reckon the risk of him being abducted when in my sight is less than the risk of there being a fire and somoene needing to get him out of the car fast.

but imo there is no right or wrong answer to any of it its just personal choice..... but again, if you are out of sight of the car at all then take the little one with you.

Soldato
What? Do you not have childlocks on the car? Tell her not to do that. Look after her baby brother/sister while daddy goes to pay. Lock the car on the way to pay. Done.

Have never bothered taking the little un with me but I usually 9/10 times pay at pump. Always take her with me in any other scenario though (popping into shop etc).

Re: Blackout Blinds
Blackout blinds and black out curtains in the little uns' room. Pitch black throughout the year. I make sure the curtains and blind is shut prior to bed time, light on. She comes into room, switches off the light, "boosh" on her lampshade (like to knock it so it swings - *shrugs*), bed. She's only 21 months atm though so isn't really aware of night time / dark, day time / light yet.
You tell me which cars have childlocks on the front doors. It's only because she's done it once with my wife. Tbh I normally stop on the way home but I was off last week so it threw my routine out. I didn't really mind I'm quite easy going and the cashier girl wasn't bothered either. Locking doors wouldn't matter as they can still be opened from the inside.

Don

Both my kids have blackout blinds and curtains, for the same reason! Curtains on their own weren't enough :)

Soldato
OP
On the paying for fuel thing, I wouldn't leave my daughter in the car. She can now get out of her car seat and open doors (3), and I'm paranoid anyway. I just bring her in with me. If you're in a rush, it's obviously stressful, so I try to make sure I don't have to rush!

Almost certainly fine to leave them, but I just get this thought of "what if" and figure I'd rather be safe than get back out and she's not there or something. My dad had his Harley nicked while we were in a glass fronted shop for 5 mins, so I don't trust the idea that I have line of sight.

Soldato
Regarding the Ocuks list of stuff we need and stuff that's not needed, I think it's a great idea..:p

We have two kids now, 4 and 1. Many times when their mum is wanting to get the next size up for them I always say just get a pack of 7 vext and 7 grows. All the same colour. The older lad. I just say 3 pairs of jeans, 1 tracky bottoms and 7 tshirts all black (hides spag bol stains better). 7 pairs of socks all same colour and same with briefs. I am a man of simple means. outfits do my head in, PJs I get our oldest to put on any combination but mum has to have him in sets.

So for the list:
cot
travel system, get the cheapest you can then once 6 months old get a stroller. Lighter, smaller, more convenient.
sleeping bag
wipes (lots)
nappies
Vests
grows
muslin cloths
no need for monitor unless you live in a mansion or out in the garden a lot
cheap £1 bottles from superdrug unless baby has issues drinking for them.
A plastic ball
quality street tin or plastic tupperware thing
usb cable
hotwheel cars

pretty much what our latest needed.

Back
Top Bottom