Phoenix Point - new strategy game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Soldato
Yeah.
Epic gives better return to the devs, 88% compared to Steam giving 65%.

To put in perspective at 10 million sale, is extra 2.3 million to the devs compared to steam.

Also he said, we only need epic to download the game not play it, where we can disable the launcher. Something that cannot be done with almost all the steam games.

extra 2.3 to the publisher shareholders, the publisher doesnt necessarily pass it onto the dev's.

Associate
The community manager has public stated that if every single backer asks for a refund they will still make a nice profit from this deal. So it looks like Epic just threw a massive chunk of cash at them.
Regardless of your feelings about Epic or having multiple launchers or there Chinese overlords, this will just have put even more people off crowd funding new games as it has just become a big bait and switch. Gollop crowd funded this from day 1 because he couldn't get anyone interested in backing him. Epic waited until there was a viable product and a company and then just threw cash at it.

Soldato
yeah as I thought, they will probably sell a fraction of copies now, maybe 10% or so, but they wont care as the epic cash will make it profitable.

Soldato
I'm in two minds to cancel, I don't love steam but I don't want my PC chock full of launchers either.

Tbh I wouldn't be put off by that reason alone. I don't really like the overall Epic situation, but the launcher is nice and lightweight, you'll barely notice it.

Soldato
Gollop did an AMA on Reddit following the Epic news, confirming backers will get "at least 3 major DLC packs throughout the year". If you don't want to use Epic, you'll still get a Steam or GOG key after the year, which will include all DLC released up until that point.

Associate
Never heard of this game until this controversy. Looks good, think I will pick it up - glad it’s not on Steam to be honest, not bought anything on Steam for years (I buy most of my stuff directly on Ubisoft or Origin) so I won’t be batting an eyelid if I have to get Epic store.

Associate
Launcher debate aside, I've been playing the latest backer release which added geoscape level game play and it's really good. I am very much looking forward to the full release.

Soldato
I hadn't touch backers build since BB1. Atm is in BB5 and must say the game looks really good. I like the mayhem and total destruction on the scenery, and having done the 2 missions, plus the tutorial starter objectives to do research etc looks good.

Graphics are truly amazing on maxed out settings and haven't seen any perf issue.

The only thing I hope is change the music, because is to fall asleep. More suited to X4 Foundations and Elite Dangerous, that the high adrenaline music such game needs. (like XCOM 1&2 have).
And hoping to see bit more interaction with stuff and voice over on research etc, with some image. Atm is a grey tab with text.

As I delve more to the game over the news few days and understand what half the stuff are doing, might get better idea what I am supposed to do. eg took me 6 turns on the first battle, to figure out that the heavy weapon guy should use his jetpack to move around and not walk. :D

Noob steps :D

Associate
OP
Yeah, it's pretty amazing I have to say and they've certainly achieved the evolution of Xcom they wanted. Personally I'm not bothered about the music, I would 'guess' however it will be one of the last things to be done properly and a lot of it placeholder or is not the final version. I could be wrong of course. More importantly though imho is the game just sucks you in due to the free aim etc and when I log in for maybe 30 minutes I look at the clock and 2 hours has blown by! Really glad I got it.

Soldato
Better avoid this game then. My Xcom 20 minute sessions turned into 3hrs...... :D

You haven't played EU4 nah 11pm only "lets take this one province for a quick 10 minutes war", suddenly two world wars having gobbled 2-3 countries "huh the sun up time for work".
Or worse CK2. "I have to assassinate this imbesile and secure my succession", then you realise that hours have passed, having committed multiple genocides of whole families... having a success on a crusade that was called also :D

Soldato
Yeah, it's pretty amazing I have to say and they've certainly achieved the evolution of Xcom they wanted. Personally I'm not bothered about the music, I would 'guess' however it will be one of the last things to be done properly and a lot of it placeholder or is not the final version. I could be wrong of course. More importantly though imho is the game just sucks you in due to the free aim etc and when I log in for maybe 30 minutes I look at the clock and 2 hours has blown by! Really glad I got it.

Actually I feel lost :D I see a red thing spreading but I do not know how to stop it.
Also are there any benefits to attack Havens? Non friendly ones.

Back
Top Bottom