• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to do

Associate
So, here's my 'problem'..

This week I'll be getting a bonus and I'm thinking I want to change this set up a bit with some of it. However, now isn't the time to upgrade CPU, board and RAM given the forthcoming new Ryzens. I plan to build a system around one of those new chips later this year, hopefully around September/October once the new release hype has died down a bit.

But given I'll be getting some funds I otherwise wouldn't have in a normal month, I'm thinking to sort the graphics card situation now. I game at 1440p and due to the monitor, am tied in to Nvidia cards. This monitor is still fantastic, so I have no intention of changing it. The monitor sync also prolonged the life of the 1070, it's still very much acceptable to me in combination with the monitor itself. But I'm wondering if it'll cope with newer games in the coming 1-2 years.

So I'm thinking of getting a 2080. I fully realise that with this system behind it, I'll get a boost but not as much as I would if I already had more than 4 cores. But my reasoning is a reasonable boost now, with a further one later in the year when I upgrade the whole shabang. The 2080 will also still be relevant by the time I upgrade the rest.

What do people think? Appreciate any input.

Soldato
Well you definitely don't need any more storage by the looks of your Sig :)

I'd be tempted to bank the money for a few months. I know that sounds boring and I get the 'i want to buy something...' but I don't think now is a good time for GPUs either.

Associate
Navi could change the landscape, not in terms of outright performance that will make the 2080 irrelevant or anything but it could certainly push prices of the likes of the 2080 down a bit. I dunno if that is worth waiting for or not, only you can decide, but given you seem relatively happy with the setup and plan to change to Ryzen later this year its certainly worth considering, unless of course you think the bonus money will simply burn a hole in your pocket and goto waste :)

Associate
OP
Well you definitely don't need any more storage by the looks of your Sig :)

I'd be tempted to bank the money for a few months. I know that sounds boring and I get the 'i want to buy something...' but I don't think now is a good time for GPUs either.

Well actually, a 1TB SSD is definitely on the list :D

I figured I'm going to have to get something at some point, so now seemed like a good time. I take your point though, is there anything else from Nvidia coming that might bring the prices of the 2000 series down?

unless of course you think the bonus money will simply burn a hole in your pocket and goto waste :)

With summer approaching and the beer garden a big possibility, a good chunk could well 'go to waste' :D ;)

Appreciate the responses :)

Associate
OP
Cheers for the response :)

Well I'll not be at 144Hz anytime soon, but perhaps once I've upgraded to one of the forthcoming Ryzens I'll be a bit nearer..

That's if I buy the card. I get the feeling I won't want to lay out for a card later in the year, but it's a lot of money now.

Associate
Right now seems a bad time to upgrade as the coming products could alter the landscape quite a bit meaning prices paid now could be more then they will be worth soon its the sticky wicket in pc upgrading always something around the corner but in this case that corner is very near. I was gutted my mainboard died meaning i had to upgrade really wanted to wait for zen 2. If you don't need too i would hold off till July time but that's always easier said then done lol.

Soldato
Run your 2 500GB SSD's in Raid 0, and buy some 4TB WD blue drives. Upgrade rest of system if you feel like it in a few months, when we know all we need too about next ryzen and 7nm navi etc

Soldato
Yeah just makes windows and whatever games or apps load a bit quicker - I ran it for fun, just don't see the point of large ssds for storage for a little increase in speed vs the capacity of a wd blue drive, nvme drive I bought was instant regret vs the raid 0 ssds it replaced when thinking I could have bought another 4tb drive instead lol :(

Soldato
Getting a 2080 today is as good an opportunity as it's going to get this year, nothing will really change for it good or bad. Go for it!

Associate
OP
Getting a 2080 today is as good an opportunity as it's going to get this year, nothing will really change for it good or bad. Go for it!

That is exactly my reasoning. Ryzen 3 systems will be pricey at first, but they'll come down in price. And this system isn't bad, I'd get a boost and then another boost when I upgrade the entire system were I to go for this.

Because if Ryzen 3 doesn't live up to the hype, it'll be a 9700k system. And because I'm nearly 50 and lazy, whatever I get will be a pre-overclocked bundle that I'll just screw into the case, install Windows on and use.

I'm not getting the feeling Navi will shake up the prices enough. And with the MSI Ventus being 620 quid right now, I can sell the 1070 to my mate for 150 quid, giving a total cost to me of 470 quid. That's what I paid for my 980 5 or so years ago.

And I think a 2080 will still be relevant later in the year. This unexpected extra disposable income could even get a 2080ti, but that's just too much. 620 quid is daylight as it is and I wouldn't even be considering this in a normal salary month.

Appreciate your input :cool:

Associate
That is exactly my reasoning. Ryzen 3 systems will be pricey at first, but they'll come down in price. And this system isn't bad, I'd get a boost and then another boost when I upgrade the entire system were I to go for this.

Because if Ryzen 3 doesn't live up to the hype, it'll be a 9700k system. And because I'm nearly 50 and lazy, whatever I get will be a pre-overclocked bundle that I'll just screw into the case, install Windows on and use.

I'm not getting the feeling Navi will shake up the prices enough. And with the MSI Ventus being 620 quid right now, I can sell the 1070 to my mate for 150 quid, giving a total cost to me of 470 quid. That's what I paid for my 980 5 or so years ago.

And I think a 2080 will still be relevant later in the year. This unexpected extra disposable income could even get a 2080ti, but that's just too much. 620 quid is daylight as it is and I wouldn't even be considering this in a normal salary month.

Appreciate your input :cool:

Its almost like you are trying to talk yourself into this :)

Associate
Can say that getting a 2080 has lightened my wallet heavily but also my mood. My dear old 1070 was having a bad time with the upgrade of my monitor to 3440x1440 not to say it couldn't handle everything (think my cpu held it back. So i bought a 2700x) but it felt laggy sometimes. And the fact i like to turn all the fancy stuff on. First time i played metro with ray tracing on was awesome just looked around for a bit seeing where they had used it!

If like you say it will burn through your pocket best to use it now :D

Associate
OP
Its almost like you are trying to talk yourself into this :)

I was seeking reassurance from here first :D :p

I did indeed talk myself into it, got it yesterday, an MSI Ventus for 620 quid. Also picked up a Crucial MX500 1Tb SSD too, as I couldn't be bothered with having to uninstall games to make room for more games. Games are massive nowadays.

But the card...well, where I got 60-70 fps before I now get 90-100 fps at 1440p with G-Sync. I'm happy with that, it should go up a little more when I upgrade the lot. Either way, the i5 must hold it back, but there has still been a decent performance uplift. I'm not bothered about ray tracing, just wanted an uplift in traditional performance. And I got that.

Also, I figured with it going at the cheapest I'd seen one of these so far, that MSI would have skimped out on the cooler, just like Palit did with my 1070 dual. The cooler on that was weedy and I had to strap 2 Corsair 120mm fans to its heatsink to get decent temperatures. But how wrong I was. It's sat here idling at 28c and doesn't go above 66c when gaming. Quiet too, fans are 60% at full load, so slight increase in fan curve, overclock and you have the 100Mhz more boost speed of the more expensive versions. Absolutely fantastic card, albeit an expensive one.

If like you say it will burn through your pocket best to use it now :D

Oh it would, especially with summer coming. Now, I've sorted an important part of the system with something I'll be able to take with me to a new one when Ryzen 3 shows up. Couldn't have done that any other month. All in all I'm very glad I did this, along with the SSD. And this card seems to dissipate heat much better than the 1070 did, the CPU temps are also down 3-4c.

Associate
use the MSI afterburner overlay to see what your cpu and gpu usage are when gaming and it will be obvious if your CPU is causing a bottle neck :)

Associate
OP
Yes, already have. CPU at about 80-90% mostly, except for Ghost Recon Wildlands where it's anything from 60-90%, same with GPU. But I believe that's an issue with that game.

If I was running at 1080p, I reckon the CPU would be pegged at 100% all the time. I'm hoping I'll get at least a 20-30 fps increase again when I upgrade the lot.

Associate
OP
I'm wondering if the G-Sync is the reason the CPU doesn't appear to be at full pelt all the time.

Still, plays games nicer than my old one, that and taking to a new system are all I'm bothered about.

Edit: And a new system will get me 99-100% gpu usage, so should definitely be another improvement :)

Back
Top Bottom