CAA Drone Registration costs money!

Caporegime
What exactly are people getting for subscription fee? It does sound like yet another government scheme to make money by licensing something.

We had the same thing with the horse passports brought in by the EU, £30 for a document with extra fees incurred every time the owner information needs to be updated, and no benefit whatsoever to the horse or the owner.

Soldato
What exactly are people getting for subscription fee? It does sound like yet another government scheme to make money by licensing something.

We had the same thing with the horse passports brought in by the EU, £30 for a document with extra fees incurred every time the owner information needs to be updated, and no benefit whatsoever to the horse or the owner.

I guess it's a token payment for the ability to send up flying vehicles which if used inappropriately can cause major mayhem. It's a small tax which I'm sure will be invested into ensuring they are used responsibly.

It really seems all quite sensible when we will in a country that has an advanced civilization living in it.

They'll likely be recording the information, managing the data, potentially doing background checks as part of the ownership registration. And allocated money to the job of understanding what more they need to do to make the usage of drones safe for the future whilst allowing people to enjoy them.

It's £16.

A drone like they are looking to require a license for costs hundreds.

Caporegime
I guess it's a token payment for the ability to send up flying vehicles which if used inappropriately can cause major mayhem. It's a small tax which I'm sure will be invested into ensuring they are used responsibly.

It really seems all quite sensible when we will in a country that has an advanced civilization living in it.

They'll likely be recording the information, managing the data, potentially doing background checks as part of the ownership registration. And allocated money to the job of understanding what more they need to do to make the usage of drones safe for the future whilst allowing people to enjoy them.

It's £16.

I'm sceptical honestly, they are allowing children of any age to fly remotes under the proposals so there is no real competency required, and there are no background checks. How that ensures the responsible safe use of drones is beyond me.

Last edited:
Soldato

It's £16.

The government just isn't that competent, it's simply a way to make the process of buying a drone difficult for people who aren't that serious about owning one and might misuse it. The money will just pay for an admin team to maintain a database and post out "licenses".

Caporegime
The government just isn't that competent, it's simply a way to make the process of buying a drone difficult for people who aren't that serious about owning one and might misuse it. The money will just pay for an admin team to maintain a database and post out "licenses".

Which begs the question are there even going to be point of sale checks?

Soldato
The government just isn't that competent
It's not the government running the registration, it's the CAA. They're already running the system for light/commercial aircraft, I'm sure they know what they are doing. Plus they have said that if they over-recover their operating costs for the new system they will lower the fee, you wouldn't see the government do that lol

Caporegime
It's not the government running the registration, it's the CAA. They're already running the system for light/commercial aircraft, I'm sure they know what they are doing. Plus they have said that if they over-recover their operating costs for the new system they will lower the fee, you wouldn't see the government do that lol

It's a statutory corporation, ie an organisation created by the government.

Soldato
Government creates scheme to charge responsible operators money.

How, exactly, is this going to stop criminals flying drugs into jails or buzzing aircraft (Etc)??

Man of Honour
Government creates scheme to charge responsible operators money.

How, exactly, is this going to stop criminals flying drugs into jails or buzzing aircraft (Etc)??

It doesn't, but it does mean that if they find people who haven't registered them (as you say, criminals likely won't) then they can be confiscated without proof that they are guilty of misusing the drone, something I imagine is pretty difficult.

Soldato
Stating the obvious, but won't the majority of people just ignore this and risk the fine? - Probably all except the drone hobbyists and those who use drones for business such as wedding photography

Soldato
OP
As people have said already its an expensive hobby to get into (on a serious level) so people like me who own a fleet of RC aircraft its not a problem really, but it is a huge barrier of entry to new people coming into the hobby. There are plenty of people in aviation now who started out with model aircraft 20-30 years ago. With the new legislation your unlikely to attract young people into field and with the way technology is advancing your going to want people proficient with drone technology as it becomes a mainstream tool for logistics.

While a "pilot" as such has no age restriction when you pop into your local hobby shop to buy your son/daughter/non binary whatsit a Christmas present of an RC aircraft, only to be then told it requires a annual registration fee and then handed a long list of restrictions. Well your more likely to walk out the shop and go buy them a xbox or playstation instead.

Even more importantly if the parent is required to register the drone because their kid is under 18, your paying twice and should the child do something illegal with the craft. Like deliver drugs to their mates, would the parent then be liable for their child's actions?

Caporegime
I would say a large number of morons have actually...
You only have to look at YouTube or some of the posts in the dedicated thread to see that most of the posters dont give a crap about flight safety.

Agreed with that. Most amateur drone footage shows pilots are clearly breaking at least one rule (too close to houses/cars/people etc).

Whether those rules are too strict is another matter.

The cost is frustrating but not the end of the world. Just a shame there are so few places you can legally fly a drone, without breaking the law. Registration may well end up with a lot more people fined for breaking those laws however. It’s certainly not just those sneaking stuff into prisons.

Back
Top Bottom