Batteries

Associate
Hi. Just wondered what everyones opinions are in regards to replacement batteries i.e OEM vs 3rd party, recomended brands etc. The original that came with my 70D is a bit tired (recharge performance shows red). I also have a 3rd party one which completely died today so I'm now looking for a couple of replacements. There seems to be so many stories of batteries not holding charge, being rejected by the charger/camera etc. The only safe bet seems to be the official canon one which is more than a little bit of a rip off.

What do you guys use?

Soldato
In my experience some 3rd parties can be OK but a lot are trash that don't hold the specified capacity and/or degrade and die quickly. So you have to be very careful.

Associate
OP
I’ve ordered a Duracell one online. I still might bite the bullet and get a new canon one as well. Especially since I’m off on holiday next week

Man of Honour
I bought a batch of 3rd party LP-E6 batteries a few years back. @2600mAh they hold there charge for a pretty decent period and never had any issues.
edit - 2 x DSTE® 2x LP-E6 LP-E6N Rechargerable Li-ion Battery for Canon Cameras

£14.49

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can't speak for anything new but I have several for my Nikon D5200 (usual thing of two + charge being cheaper than 1 official battery :p) and have no issues whatsoever.

Soldato
Have used some bigger brand batteries in couple cameras without any problems.
But if you buy some unknown brand batteries/or from eBay etc you might get anything all the way to hazardous ones without protections.

Associate
OP
Have used some bigger brand batteries in couple cameras without any problems.
But if you buy some unknown brand batteries/or from eBay etc you might get anything all the way to hazardous ones without protections.

Yeah, that was one of my concerns too. I've seen no end of listing for battery brands that I've never heard of. That's why I got the Duracell. Haven't had the chance to use it much yet though. The charger and camera both recoognise it ok. Even if the capacity isn't quite as good as the Canon one, for the price I won't complain unless it turns out to be really bad (which I doubt)

Back
Top Bottom