Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Alternatively I wonder if Brans arc is going to continue with some form of “resurrection” of the NK, perhaps taking his place somehow and retreating north to start the entire cycle again.

Definitely an intriguing idea, though I suspect Bran's real end game will involve going up north to merge with that tree and become passively but benevolently omnipotent or whatever (he certainly seems too far gone to have any other kind of happy ending). I think we also might find out next week that the mark on Bran from the NK vanished when he was killed (and so Arya also won't have a mark).

Soldato
Bran got his mark in a vision, not in "person". So I don't think the same rules would have had to apply to Arya anyway (moot at this point, and obviously I'm using a very loose definition of the word "rules"!!).

Associate
Yesterday I watched end game and the last 2 episodes of Star Trek discovery, what a treat. Today I thought I was in for another treat, expectations through the roof.

What a load of rubbish. I can’t believe after such a brilliant series they messed this up so bad. My only hope is this is one of the characters dream and the real event will be the next episode. So disappointed........

Discovery is up there on the nonsense level. Hopefully theve jumped a bazillion years into the future and arent scared of messing with cannon it can be, well not crap would be a start.

Seems it was a problem for everyone, no matter where they watched.

Dunno my HBO copy was fine.

Right, whose going to phone the producers of The Walking Dead and tell 'em that's how you do a zombie horde walker herd attack on a TV show?

Can they phone the GOT ones and ask for 81mins of my life back. Ok 80 will do, approx 60 seconds was OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
Right, whose going to phone the producers of The Walking Dead and tell 'em that's how you do a zombie horde walker herd attack on a TV show?

Doubt a few dozen guns could compete with such a herd - think it'd wipe out all the people and the show would have to be cancelled....hmm, not a bad idea...

Soldato
For those complaining about how easily dispatched the NK seemed, this was clearly the GoT style shock death of the episode. Get everyone expecting epic battles, drawn out 1:1s etc and instead jump stab done. Plus the prophecy foretold his death.

AS has been training for this moment whether she knew it or not since the very beginning.

Caporegime
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Words can hardly begin to express what an absolute cluster **** of bad writing that episode was. It was one of the worst and most illogical epic battles I have ever seen. I can forgive many things, but willfully handicapping the good guys to force a plot without even trying to make it believable is just unforgivable in my eyes.

I will summarize within this rant, the most mind-numbingly ridiculous and OMGWTFBBQ points of why the Army Of Winterfell (AOW), despite having several experienced military veterans who were involved in major engagements numbering thousands of troops, used the worst tactics possible:

------------------

1. Bonfires should have been built and lit around the battlefield, all around the castle, to provide visibility to the troops fighting on the ground and the archers/catapults.

2. Catapults were placed at the front of the army (where they are the most vulnerable) and completely under-utilized. Instead of raining constant fiery death on the enemy until the walls were breached, they sent 2 ****** salvos and then stopped and were overwhelmed.

3. The Dothraki. Oh, the poor abused Dothraki. Sending the ENTIRETY of your lightly armoured horse troops into a mass frontal charge into absolute darkness is so ****ing stupid it defies any and all logic. The Dothraki nation, who loyally followed the Mother of Eyebrows across the great oceans to a miserable island with ****** weather, were basically used as fodder and died in 2 minutes. Utterly unforgivable.

4. When they retreated into the castle after lighting 'The One Skinny Fire Trench', the first point of order should have been manning the walls. Hell, the walls should have already been bristling with archers shooting at the zombies just standing there staring at the bonfires. Instead, people fall back into the castle, mill around in the courtyard for 10 minutes, and then wait until the zombies start attacking before realizing that it would probably be a good idea to get up on the walls and defend the castle. MORONS.

5. Their defences at Winterfell just sucked in general. Not only were there not multiple trenches etc dug around the walls, there was no flaming oil or pitch thrown from the walls onto the zombies trying to climb them.

6. Melisandra The Suicidal... apparently the only source of fire within the whole castle.

7. Sam-whale Tarly. Whoever allowed this walking physical liability (who has somehow not lost any weight or gained any muscle in his years of hard living) to fight in the main battle instead of being down in the crypt where he belongs, deserves to be hung. He probably single-handedly accounted for half of the deaths among the defenders trying to protect him.

8. The Dragons. The greatest weapon against the Army Of The Dead... absolutely wasted. I realise Jon Snow is new to the dragon fetish scene, but Mother Of Eyebrows could at least have told him that flying around in a circle for half of the battle isn't very useful. Or at least she could have, were she not an absolute strategic moron. Sure, they fired a few salvos of fiery death into the zombie horde, but their main task should have been to hunt the WW's and the Night King (using Brans mental link and ability to see into the future) in order to neutralise the army killing all of the people they are sworn to protect.

9. WHERE WERE THE ****ING WHITE WALKERS (WW's)? Each WW is meant to be a lieutenant of terrible power and ferocity and yet WE DON'T SEE ONE FOR THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN BATTLE. To not have seen a couple leading and co-ordinating the armies and overwhelming the defenders in combat was such a missed opportunity and so anticlimactic and anithematic that it hurts.

10. Bran The Creep is completely ****ing useless. I mean seriously WTF; he warged into some crows, gave us a quick cinematic view of the Night King, and then spent the rest of the battle with his eyes rolling back in his head? With his 'mental link yo' shouldn't he have been telling people, especially those riding dragons, where the Night King was? he couldn't even distract the Night King or ANYTHING?

11. Theon Noballs and his 20 merry men with bows defending Bran The Useless, seemingly destroyed hundreds of zombies without any issue. Maybe they should have had them manning the walls instead?

12. The crypts. Apparently, no-one saw fit to either post a few guards inside the crypts, or provide the people hiding down there with a weapon. Because... um... yeah... LOLOLOLOL

13. The Night King, a being of unimaginable power (oh yeah, and is somehow even immune to dragonfire for the lulz), a Godlike entity who has travelled thousands of miles at the head of the greatest army ever seen, arrives at his ultimate target, casually bats aside a foolish attack from Theon Noballs, is then for some inexplicable reason distracted by the sight of him laying down on the ground choking, and then sneak-attacked and destroyed by a young girl? Possibly the most cheesy, risible and anti-climactic end to a battle to decide the fate of the world I have ever seen.

14. The WW's all died when the Night King was destroyed... writing so lazy it is incredible. We have already seen in the show that each WW summons and controls its own army of zombies and is a powerful being in its own right, but for the sake of convenience they and the entire Army of the Dead shatter and collapse the moment the Night King is poked with a small knife. SERIOUSLY?

------------------

**** the writers of this show. I will watch it to the end but with their lazy, ****** writing they have basically undone all of the goodwill that the show spent years building while it followed GRR's books.

Rant over. :mad:

Man of Honour
Both my HBO copy and the Sky versions looked terrible, the dark scenes were ridiculously poor. Guess that's what having an OLED does, it really does show up poor encoding. Shame really as it ruined the episode for me. It was like I had the RGB scale selected at full instead of limited but I triple checked and other dark content in other shows was fine.

Caporegime
Both my HBO copy and the Sky versions looked terrible, the dark scenes were ridiculously poor. Guess that's what having an OLED does, it really does show up poor encoding. Shame really as it ruined the episode for me. It was like I had the RGB scale selected at full instead of limited but I triple checked and other dark content in other shows was fine.

It's not just on OLED's

Both my mates have decent samsung TVs and said it was bad.

Soldato
I thought it was good. Some of the moments were really moving but the battle itself wasn't the best. No issues with the story arc presented.

However on my plasma with the lights off the artifacting was awful. When the dothraki were off in the dark I got crazy horizontal banding across the screen? And loads of banding throughout. Not good.

The only story part I'd complain about is that Bran did nothing. Surprised both dragons survived too

Back
Top Bottom