Cleaning Macbook Pro screen?

Associate
I'm sitting here on the train and just noticed how filthy my MBP screen is (2017 touchbar model).

Does anyone have recommendations as to what to clean the screen with?
Slightly scared of damaging it hence the reason for asking.

Thanks,
Doogs

Associate
I used glasses cleaning wipes, took the anti reflective coating of my MacBook screen. Luckily even though my laptop was over 5 years old Apple replaced it free of charge. Now I just use a slightly damp cloth.

Associate
OP
I used glasses cleaning wipes, took the anti reflective coating of my MacBook screen. Luckily even though my laptop was over 5 years old Apple replaced it free of charge. Now I just use a slightly damp cloth.

Good to know. Think I’ll just use a slightly damp cloth to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Screen Mom -- absolutely amazing stuff. And a nice soft clean cloth.

Associate
OP
As way of an update, I used a slightly damp cloth (tap water) and dried it straight away. Worked a treat - screen looks as new again!

Man of Honour
A friend cleaned his TFT (not a macbook) with regular glass cleaner and it stripped off the anti reflective coating. I would use a damp cloth and no product just to be safe.

Soldato
I don’t know, I’ve never used anything other than a slightly damp cloth.

Recently read this is the only way too.

On the topic of cleaning, what about the keyboard? Even regularly washing hands the keyboard gets very greasy and I have to wash it every day with wipes. Recently purchased a slim 'cover' that goes over the keyboard and seems to be doing the trick only downside is the resistance of the keys are much increased and doesn't feel as good to type on... I never found a way to 'lock' the keyboard either.... and turning the macbook off soon as you press any key it turns on...

Soldato
Recently read this is the only way too.

On the topic of cleaning, what about the keyboard? Even regularly washing hands the keyboard gets very greasy and I have to wash it every day with wipes. Recently purchased a slim 'cover' that goes over the keyboard and seems to be doing the trick only downside is the resistance of the keys are much increased and doesn't feel as good to type on... I never found a way to 'lock' the keyboard either.... and turning the macbook off soon as you press any key it turns on...

It's not the only way :) The stuff I mentioned earlier in thread is the stuff Apple recommends. To disable boot from key press you need to enter a command in terminal for disabling autoboot which is sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00, then sudo nvram AutoBoot=%03 to set it back on again when you want it back on.

Caporegime
Water and electronics don't tend to mix too well so personally I'd avoid the old damp cloth.

I use rubbing alcohol - more effective at removing the oil/residue your fingers leave behind and added benefit that it kills bacteria etc... that has built up on your keyboard too. Less of a worry re: any of it dripping through and affecting anything too as it evaporates fairly rapidly.

^^^ the above is assuming you're cleaning the whole thing (which you should do!) not just the screen...

Back
Top Bottom