• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3 1200 upgrade

Associate
Main use gaming. Is the R5 1600 a worthy upgrade? I've the R3 1200 at 3.5 gig at the moment. Also have some 2400mhz ram running at 2666 speed and an RX 470.

Is the R5 going to improve things? or am I better off sticking with what I've got? I figured 6 cores instead of 4?

Associate
If you are playing modern games particularly the open world games you will see a big difference. The big but is that AMD are expected to release brand new cpus in July. If you cannot wait. You will see a much bigger performance uplift by going for a Ryzen 2600. If you do go 2600 make sure update your motherboard bios first.

Soldato
If you are not feeling any issues, but think an upgraded cpu might be good. And are considering uping the core count, and base speeds by going R5.
My advise would be wait.. totally skip the 1600/2600 series of cpus, and wait for the 3000 series as those will be better, as of yet it is all speculation, but everything iv read/heard is they have made some decent improvements.

So unless its an urgent upgrade, i would 100% say wait for Ryzen 2 (3000, not Gen 2), your mobo will only likely need a bios update. Don't look at Gen 1 unless you come across a real bargin, the price saving is'nt that big.

That being said, your current cpu is decently paried with the Gpu you have, so technically is'nt a bottle neck, you wouldn't see a massive spike in fps, yeh you may see a few more, but it wouldn't be drastic. More cores/threads just really allows the overall system to be less strained to be fair.

Overall you would be going from 4 real cores to 6 real cores but 12 with hyper threading, so it would be a big upgrade to the overall system rather then just gaming.

Associate
It would be worth waiting for the next generation of Ryzen chips. However, if you need to upgrade right now, the 1600 and 2600 are the same price, and I think the 2600 outperforms the 1600 substantially. If going the 2600 route, I would also consider faster RAM if its within budget as the Ryzen chips seem to like that.

Soldato
B350 is supported for the 3000 series, it is the A320 chipset that is not supported by mobo vendors atleast. It is still always best to check specifically to your own mobo though.

All the OP has to do is make sure his bios is on version F30 (and updated chipset drivers also) which as the latest Agesa version and he is good to go for the newer cpu's incomming. Same go's for anyone on B350 and above, if your on A320 your just outa luck it seems.

Soldato
An Msi customer rep wrongly stated to a customer e-mail that one of their top end X370 mobos would'nt support it. There was a big uproar about that so MSI clarified the situation stating the customer rep gave out the wrong info at the time.
Everything iv read upto now states B350 and upwards regardless of maker will work, you will just need a the latest bios, or upcomming bios. A320's technically can run them no problem, but i think its being left upto each manufacture to decide that. AMD has stated they will run on all AM4 mobo's so thats all the chipsets, its just weither or not the makers will update the bios's of A320's or not, some will some won't it seems at the moment.

As always though its always best to just double check your own mobo for sure, for example mines all ready updated and ready. If i decide to upgrade to the newer cpu's or not lol.

Back
Top Bottom