BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I drove from St Albans to Brighton this morning in my 340, hungover so was driving fairly conservatively and got 45 mpg. This was a mix of eco pro on the motorway, and various other roads in comfort.

Pretty damn good.

Soldato
I think 25mpg is pretty good with so much high speed driving.

The trip where I had my 535d on the limiter several times was low 20s I can’t remember the full tank pretty sure it just made it over 30mpg.

Man of Honour
Drove @Tax Evader around some lanes in his old GTS today. Bit surreal, but we went to a car meet at the Aston Martin Heritage museum in Oxfordshire with a large group of mates and I bagged the GTS for a quick blast. What a car they are, very different to the normal E92 to me, engine is a masterpiece and steering and brakes reminded me of my old GT3. Will be the one in the Carfection video next week. Will try and find some pictures, @Tax Evader doesn't have a camera on his black and white era phone, but should be some knocking around later.

Proper car, impressed. Last time I went in it he was driving, so only seemed fair it was me this time.

Pics added
46983478784_0d1d847dca_k.jpg

40806410563_f5ed0d038f_k.jpg

Soldato
I will be driving in France next week, does anyone know if the X3 F25 (2012) with halogen (boooo!) bulbs has a flat beam pattern or will I need to use deflectors? I can’t see a way to manually adjust the beam angle but perhaps I missed something.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Yes I live in Germany, I average 25MPG in my car which isn't *all* that bad - luckily 70ltr tank means I can usually get > 300 miles on autobahn. Tyre wear is also pretty dramatic especially with winter tyres on... It doesn't bother me too much since it's a company car and I have a fuel card, I did maintain fuelly with the m240i as I was curious - I got to as low as 18MPG on a tank, but the ZF 8 speed even if it locks in 7th in sport is geared so long that the B58 isn't even that bad.

I drive the A8 regularly, I find that I can do 150ish km in 1hr instead of the 1h30 that navi/google recommends if you go flat out in quiet day time. I usually slow down a bit at night as I've had a few surprises and if I go long distance I stick to something more reasonable (220ish) - I find it quite tiring for long drives to maintain really fast speeds and cabin noise gets a bit annoying about 220 unless you're on your own with music blaring out.
My record was emptying 50 litres in 300 km in my S3. 18 MPG :D

I often drive through Germany (enter in Aachen, up the A2/A7 up to DK) during the night and cruise at 180-200 indicated. This means what Google Maps says will take 7 hours, only takes 4 and a half. If Germany ever does ever impose blanket limits on the Autobahn, I won't be visiting the in-laws very often :o
Getting low-30 MPG in a 2.0 TDI is beginning to hurt now that Diesel is about 50% more than it was last year!

Associate
I've just bought a '12 E92 335D online from an auction, unseen in the flesh, just pics and description and pick it up later on this week.
Huge gamble but hopefully it'll be a good one.
Expecting to have to do the swirl flaps and check for carbon build up.
The plan is to flip it quick for a raise.
Might even keep it, undecided.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If you're planning to shift things like that for a bit of quick money it's best practice not to buy before you see. Easy way to lose money.

Associate
Helping my farther to look for an E46 coupe, Any thoughts on the 325ci sport Auto?, his budget is around £3k but he could absorb repair work as and when needed, just needs something reasonable for low mileage.

Soldato
Don't try to squeeze, find whichever is in the best nick.

Usual car buying sensibilities should be employed, of course. If we're talking the difference between a dud 330Ci and an impeccible 325Ci, then fair enough. The chances of finding either model that aren't going to give you at least some issues is impossible anyway, might as well get the better one.

Yeah that was my first thought, the 3k budget is kinda tight though and the 325 is newer circa 2006, a lot of the 330i ci etc do look modified which kinda puts me off, are the Autoboxes ok on the E46?

I've recently had a ZF 5HP gearbox destroy itself in an 80k mileage, 2001 E39 530i. Purely anecdotal of course, but I'd always opt for the manual for that slightly increased peace of mind. But I've heard stories of them lasting a lot longer than that, as always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom