Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
so would it be....

Virgin router in modem mode
Ap-pro plugged into the Virgin router via ethernet and it handles the WiFi across the house
Pretty much so. I have mine in modem mode with an Asus AC68U router which gives me great wifi though the the Ubiquiti stuff is widely regarded as being the best for wifi.
On my router (with custom firmware) I also run:
VPN server
FTP server
Torrent client
Dynamic DNS
IPv6

Things that the SH3 hasn't got a clue about.

Associate
Thanks. It's only going to be me, the Mrs and her mum with those two being light users. So I think the 200 or 350 will be more than enough though I do want a sturdy WiFi solution this time. Just heard about Ubiquiti Ac-pro :D, so would it be....

Ap-pro plugged into the Virgin router via ethernet and it handles the WiFi across the house

I believe the virgin router in modem only mode restricts the Ethernet ports resulting in only one being usable? It was a hassle when I tested it.

I have just turned off WiFi to the router and use two ubiquiti access points in my house.

Associate
I believe the virgin router in modem only mode restricts the Ethernet ports resulting in only one being usable? It was a hassle when I tested it.

I have just turned off WiFi to the router and use two ubiquiti access points in my house.
Well its obvious isn't it.? You can only have one external IP v4 address. When in modem mode the device connected to the SH3 acquires the external IP hence only one will work.

Man of Honour
Thanks but you've lost me. So how does the Virgin router connect to Ac-pro? Or does the Ac-pro completely replace the Virgin box?
If you're using just an AP and no router, you don't need to put your SuperHub into modem mode. Just disable wireless on it and connect the UniFi AP and then configure it using the controller software.

Caporegime
If you're using just an AP and no router, you don't need to put your SuperHub into modem mode. Just disable wireless on it and connect the UniFi AP and then configure it using the controller software.

Thank you, as you can tell networking isn't a strong point :o. I think my confusion stems from not knowing the difference between a router and an AP.

Man of Honour
Thank you, as you can tell networking isn't a strong point :o. I think my confusion stems from not knowing the difference between a router and an AP.
A router is a decision maker, a switch or an AP just passes traffic to a decision maker to exit its local network, be it WiFi or Ethernet traffic.

Associate
Thanks. It's only going to be me, the Mrs and her mum with those two being light users. So I think the 200 or 350 will be more than enough though I do want a sturdy WiFi solution this time. Just heard about Ubiquiti Ac-pro :D, so would it be....

You will need the following configuration for modem mode,

VM SuperHub Modem mode > 3rd party Router with built in Wi-Fi

or

VM SuperHub Modem mode > 3rd party Router > Switch > Wi-Fi access points

Soldato
Finally managed to get through...second box will be installed this Sat...won’t get the TV and internet upgrade until then apparently. SIM card is incoming. £99/m for a year. Reminder set in the calendar!

Soldato
Anyone with a new build gone with virgin? They're coming tomorrow to do the installation of the TV, broadband and phone for the 350 service but I'm unsure if it'll all be good to go tomorrow or if I have to wait?

Caporegime
Anyone with a new build gone with virgin? They're coming tomorrow to do the installation of the TV, broadband and phone for the 350 service but I'm unsure if it'll all be good to go tomorrow or if I have to wait?

Can't see why there would be any issue.
On my new builds, Virgin already had some stuff in place in each of the builds so I was good to go in almost no time at all.

Soldato
Can't see why there would be any issue.
On my new builds, Virgin already had some stuff in place in each of the builds so I was good to go in almost no time at all.

Yeah thankfully it took the guy about an hour max for it. The only issue I have is that the wifi seems to top out at 400mbps whilst the majority of my hardware can get twice that. Any idea if thats the max or can it be improved?

Associate
Yeah thankfully it took the guy about an hour max for it. The only issue I have is that the wifi seems to top out at 400mbps whilst the majority of my hardware can get twice that. Any idea if thats the max or can it be improved?
400mbps WiFi in the SH3.? I would say you are super lucky to get that much so don't expect to get it any higher... that's if it's the bandwidth and not the link speed...

Soldato
Does anyone know if this is the 385 config or the 500 please?

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID 1514
Max Traffic Rate 402500089
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0

Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID 1513
Max Traffic Rate 38500089
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0
Max Concatenated Burst 42600
Scheduling Type BestEffort

Soldato
400mbps WiFi in the SH3.? I would say you are super lucky to get that much so don't expect to get it any higher... that's if it's the bandwidth and not the link speed...
Yeah I figured it out. The intelligent wifi option never allows 80hz 5ghz wifi so I disabled it, chose it myself and now my laptop is connected at 866mbps wifi so actually making full use of the internet speed. Much better but daft that I had to go digging to get the best out of it.

Soldato
Never realised the 350 package ahd a nice new upload

55ca4a02-f8de-48bd-bc15-c14dbd08063b.png

Soldato
Why are VM so slow to increase upload bandwidth?
Aparently it's due to the original design of the infrastructure. It was only conceived for when people downloading content and the upload was an after thought. Whereas other countries i.e. Sweden, The Baltics it was designed with upload in mind hence they have synchronous upload and download in many places.

Back
Top Bottom