NVME upgrade Help

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade capacity of my storage in my laptop. I've currently got a:

Samsung PM961 Polaris (mzvlw256hehp) serial taken from explorer/HDD details.

And looking at something like the Corsair MP510 but want to make sure this is the correct one as there seems to be a lot of 'key's' M, B, M&B.

Which also leads me to my next question, what adaptor do i need to get it working? Again the keys are confusing and i've found contradicting information. I have one of these handy, but think its the wrong one.

startech SAT32M225

Would be great if it works as it means i dont have to buy one and use it once and never again, If not and i need something else, what's my cheapest option?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
The PM961 is an NVMe drive so won't work in the SAT32M225 because that's a SATA adapter.

The MP510 is an NVMe drive so should fit.

For the transfer use a USB external drive.
  1. Create a bootable USB recovery Stick using Macrium Reflect.
  2. Boot from the recovery stick and image the old drive to the USB external drive.
  3. Install the new NVMe drive.
  4. Boot from the recovery stick and copy the saved image onto the new drive.

Soldato
OP
Sorry should have made it clearer, the star tech also has a sata to usb so it was a question regarding its onboard key configuration.

Thanks for the heads up macruim, doing a full backup of the original drive now since I don’t have one at all, will have a look at bootable creation nearer the time.

As long as the mp510 fits the laptop I can work round the rest.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom