Danny Baker sacked

Soldato
The joke, missed by most was about the baby being paraded like a circus animal by affluent people to the worlds media.

The real racists here are the ones who saw the monkey and associated it to race.

That's some impressive turning of the tables right there.

What a lovely world that would be for the bigots, as long as I just imply something and don't say it directly, then no one is allowed to ever call me out because saying it makes them racist.

It's like the who smelt it dealt it of the 21st century :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Does that mean if someone called me the n-word, I would be in fact the racist for associating the word with derogatory racism :p?

Such an odd argument, at least in this case. I think this was an utterly stupid mistake rather than an outright racism but his past makes this mistake even worse (working in media journalism since the 70s, living through the decades as a Millwall fan - doesn't make you racist but you would have to be blind to miss it with that club over the years and this isn't the first time he's flirted with controversy).

Associate
That's some impressive turning of the tables right there.

What a lovely world that would be for the bigots, as long as I just imply something and don't say it directly, then no one is allowed to ever call me out because saying it makes them racist.

It's like the who smelt it dealt it of the 21st century :rolleyes:

Yeah, we should always take the least charitable interpretation of everything someone posts just so we can shout at them and feel morally superior.

Soldato
I think that everything that could be said about DB, either for or against him has already been said, but on following a thread about this incident, on another forum, I was truly amazed at the number of posters who swore, hand on heart, that until this all blew up, they had absolutely no idea that Meghan Markle was of mixed race.
One comment made me smile, “You can take the man out of Millwall, but you can’t take Millwall out of the man.”
Because she doesn't look too different from a lot of white people with a tan or darker makeup?

Soldato
It clearly wasn't meant as racist, but people on social media will jump on ANYTHING which can be called "racist" now. Even if it's clutching at straws.

Then they get a horde of other professionally offended people joining the bandwagon too and suddenly you have a huge issue out of nothing, like this.

Man of Honour
Because she doesn't look too different from a lot of white people with a tan or darker makeup?

Agree with that Moothead, I meant that the fact that she was of mixed race has been all over the media since they first got serious, I thought that it was common knowledge, that’s why I was surprised to read that a whole slew of people said that they were unaware of the fact, perhaps they all live under a rock!

Soldato
It clearly wasn't meant as racist, but people on social media will jump on ANYTHING which can be called "racist" now. Even if it's clutching at straws. Then they get a horde of other professional offended people rushing in too.

He knew exactly what it was when it was posted. What was it supposed to symbolise? Even if it wasn't meant as a slightly racey picture, It was a silly risk.

Soldato
He knew exactly what it was when it was posted. What was it supposed to symbolise? Even if it wasn't meant as a slightly racey picture, It was a silly risk.

No he didn't. He didn't decide to go and post something racist out of the blue to destroy his career.

People are calling it racist because they are terminally offended and like to point stuff out of social media for attention.

Markle is the whitest black person I've ever seen. Most people probably don't even know she is "mixed race" and I doubt it would cross their mind.

Soldato
Agree with that Moothead, I meant that the fact that she was of mixed race has been all over the media since they first got serious, I thought that it was common knowledge, that’s why I was surprised to read that a whole slew of people said that they were unaware of the fact, perhaps they all live under a rock!
Ah fair enough. Honestly it's easy if you stay away from tabloid media and the clickbaity side of the internet. I pretty much stick to YouTube (stay away from the trending crap), Reddit and OcUK so it's pretty easy to miss random facts about people you don't care about :p.

Soldato
No he didn't. He didn't decide to go and post something racist out of the blue to destroy his career.

People are calling it racist because they are terminally offended and like to point stuff out of social media for attention.

In my honest view, he most likely knew it was a bit of a risky picture. People always know exactly what they're doing, Which is why I don't believe his plea of ignorance/lack of knowledge.

What was the joke supposed to be and how could it have been interpreted to be not about the kids heritage in a racist way? If there was context with the image, then I'd be inclined to think differently.

Soldato
In my honest view, he most likely knew it was a bit of a risky picture. People always know exactly what they're doing, Which is why I don't believe his plea of ignorance/lack of knowledge.

What was the joke supposed to be and how could it have been interpreted to be not about the kids heritage in a racist way? If there was context with the image, then I'd be inclined to think differently.
His claim is that it's about parading the baby like a circus act which is believable. I don't think anyone with even the smallest spotlight on them would blatantly post a racist picture on Twitter.

Caporegime
I don't believe that is what I said.

To clarify though, I was talking about the people who blew the whistle and got him fired.

You seemed to imply that the people that highlighted the racial insensitivity of it are the real racists. Which is bizarre.

Soldato
Well we used to have chimpanzees advertising tea on the tv all the time so I'm sure it was just a joke from an older generation that has been misconstrued in the current times we live.

It's been blown completely out of proportion, since realising it was interpreted differently to how it was perceived it would be when posting it, it was taken down.

Caporegime
Highlighting that there may be racial sensitivity is different to assuming that someone intended to be racist.

Agreed.

But i don't see how that is pertinent to your argument which was "The real racists here are the ones who saw the monkey and associated it to race."

Thinking the monkey being in that picture might be to do with or is associated to race doesn't make someone racist. It means they are observant and conscious of our history, culture and society.

For the record i don't think he intended it to be racist, but i can absolutely see how it was very racially insensitive, especially without any explanation as to what he intended by it when first posting it.

Back
Top Bottom