Bruges

Soldato
We are planning on going to Bruges in Belgium for my dad 60th birthday in July

To anyone that has been from UK, what is the best way to get there? I see there are multiple options

Fly to Brussels then train from Brussels to Bruges (4 hours + airport time)
Fly to France then train / other mean to get to Bruges (?)
Train to London then Eurostar to Bruges (6 hours)
Overnight Ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge (overnight, 13 hours)

Any advice is welcome on getting there, things to do or other place recommendations

Thanks

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Whereabouts are you in the UK?
Unless you need/want a car, Eurostar and trains within Belgium is the easiest way around.

However, having a car allows you to drive around, see places inaccessible by train. For example Westvleteren, Flanders fields, etc. Depends what you want to do.

Soldato
OP
Leeds, Parents in Doncaster. So think the only airport option really is Manchester
Car would be good but for getting to other places but would probably end up driving a lot rather than just going out for a wonder. I know my dad will hate driving for that amount of time (or driving then taking the car on the ferry)
Thanks, think Eurostar sounds like the best option

Soldato
Leeds, Parents in Doncaster. So think the only airport option really is Manchester
Car would be good but for getting to other places but would probably end up driving a lot rather than just going out for a wonder. I know my dad will hate driving for that amount of time (or driving then taking the car on the ferry)
Thanks, think Eurostar sounds like the best option
I would take the train if I were you, less stress then dealing with planes and airports trying to rip you off at every turn and that's a long way to drive.

Soldato
I went a few years ago. We decided on getting the ferry over from Hull. I was a bit reluctant at first because taking a flight would have been quicker. However.....I'm glad we did. It was great fun. Live entertainment, several bars and restaurants, shops etc. Flying would have been boring in comparison. So yeah, get the ferry!

Soldato
It is a very long time ago now, but wife and I took the Eurostar (when it was still at Waterloo !). I found it much nicer than flying and now you won't have the faff of getting across London even easier.

In Brugges, do the brewery tour, museums, and the belfry if you don't mind a lot of stairs (I felt this justified the beers). Plenty of decent restaurants - just avoid the obvious tourist traps on the main square. Its a nice chilled place and hopefully devoid of the chav and stag do element.

Associate
I went a few years ago. We decided on getting the ferry over from Hull. I was a bit reluctant at first because taking a flight would have been quicker. However.....I'm glad we did. It was great fun. Live entertainment, several bars and restaurants, shops etc. Flying would have been boring in comparison. So yeah, get the ferry!

The ferry is good fun, it’s not a luxury experience but is enjoyable. Book the premier outside cabins if you go on the ferry as they have more room and a window and it’s not much more.
It’s nice watching the sunset outside with a beer or 2 as it sails away from hull. The food in the buffet restaurant isnt too bad but is expensive. I prefer to get a pizza and a coffee from the Starbucks.

Soldato
Eurostar is your best bet, just chill and watch the world go by (unless you're in the tunnel).

Used to drive it from Somerset as my ex was from Bruges so we would make frequent trips over. Having a car is nice but it's very flat so walking is never hard work.
City centre is nice but take a wander around the side streets and hit a few bars where the tourists are less likely to go. Definitely do a brewery tour and I think they have a chip (fries) museum.

And see the swans.

Soldato
P&O used to do a 2for1 on an overnight ferry + coach to Bruges from Hull. It was pretty cheap as well from what I remember.

Caporegime
If getting there is half of the adventure then id take the ferry from Hull. Its much closer to home for you too.
If its time then Flying will always be fastest, minus the boring Airports.

TBH id take the ferry, you get time to chat and have a meal with dad, they usually have some extravagant, medium quality eat all you want buffet. You can sleep/shower and be ready for a whole day.

Soldato
We drove from the lake district, we didn't drive at all once there, left the car parked for 3 nights. we got ferry from Dover - Calais, it was raining when we arrived in Calais, but only took a couple of hours to drive Calais - Bruges. Bruges is a fantastic place, and personally, i'd probably still drive again, though not from here in New Zealand ;)

That's my $0.02 anyway!

Soldato
We went on the ferry from Hull as well, overnight from Hull, 2 nights in Bruges and then overnight back, it cost use £149 each a couple of years ago.

As some people have said, it's not 5 star cruising and the cabins aren't exactly spacious but it's nice to leave Hull of an evening have a couple of relaxing drinks before bed and arrive in Zeebrugge in the morning.

If you aren't wanting to do the ferry then next up for me would be Eurostar as I think flying (unless pressed for time) is nowhere near as relaxing as being sat on a ferry/train. Can you not fly from Doncaster airport if you really want to fly?

Soldato
OP
Thanks all.

P&O used to do a 2for1 on an overnight ferry + coach to Bruges from Hull. It was pretty cheap as well from what I remember.

When I try this and select buy now, ts comes out at £236 using the link below...

https://www.2for1minicruises.co.uk/deal/poferries-bruges-winter/

How is this £40 per person? Ferry sounds like fun to be fair, travel fri night I take it, arrive Sat and stay somewhere in Bruges Sat night then back Sunday overnight?

edit, found why...

Prices start from £40 per person based on Sunday to Wednesday sailings. Thursday sailings start from £43 per person. Friday sailings start from £63 per person. Saturday sailings start from £45 per person.

Soldato
Thanks all.

When I try this and select buy now, ts comes out at £236 using the link below...

https://www.2for1minicruises.co.uk/deal/poferries-bruges-winter/

How is this £40 per person? Ferry sounds like fun to be fair, travel fri night I take it, arrive Sat and stay somewhere in Bruges Sat night then back Sunday overnight?

edit, found why...

That's what I did. There are also plenty of taxis at the port to get you into Bruges. There was a free bus service as well when I went, but it only drops you at the bus terminal, which is about a 10/15 min walk into the centre.

Back
Top Bottom