Driving a lamborghini huracan with no MOT!

Soldato
Well technically it generally means the insurer can cancel it, some will automatically, some wont, you would be in the gamble area basically, they can do this for general unroadworthyness but MOT is taken (wrongly) as a marker.
So no it doesn't automatically make it invalid your right to query.

I've never heard that they can cancel it: where are you getting that from? As far as I know, the worst that can happen is that if your car is a total loss, they'll only pay out the value of a non-MOT'd example, which seems fair enough really.

Soldato
Drives a hurracan...Cries over £100 fine...

Well technically it generally means the insurer can cancel it, some will automatically, some wont, you would be in the gamble area basically, they can do this for general unroadworthyness but MOT is taken (wrongly) as a marker.
So no it doesn't automatically make it invalid your right to query.

Really

So you can't take your car to an MOT station AFTER your MOT has ran out....

Bull

Show us where it states ANYWHERE that no MOT invalidates your insurance..

The police being the police would know this and would send you to court for no MOT and no Insurance

I've never heard that they can cancel it: where are you getting that from? As far as I know, the worst that can happen is that if your car is a total loss, they'll only pay out the value of a non-MOT'd example, which seems fair enough really.

As I said I used to work at an insurer, its not done for normal stuff (as pointed above they will reduce the claim value)

AXAs policy wording is as follows :
You must: Comply with the following conditions to have the full protection of your policy. You should also ensure any other named driver complies with them. If you or any other named driver do not comply with them we may cancel the policy as detailed below, refuse to deal with any relevant claims, or reduce the amount of any relevant claim payments.
4. Maintaining your car You must make sure your car is roadworthy including that it has, if required, a valid MOT and complies with the relevant legislation in any General conditions applying to all sections of your policy 28 of 33 country where it is being driven. We reserve the right to examine your car at any reasonable time.

If you have insurance the insurer will be forced to treat it as if you had, ie they have to pay out under the RTA, which is where
10. Compulsory motor legislation If, under the law of any country this policy covers you in, we have to make a payment which we would not otherwise have paid under this policy, we may recover any claim payment from you or from the person who the claim was made against.

This is what I mentioned above about people going to court and having deductions for years.

Parkers say
Driving without a valid MOT - check your car insurance
Driving without an MOT won't always make your insurance invalid. In most instances the insurers will still pay out in full - and if your car is stolen, or damaged, the payout will usually only be reduced to reflect the value of the car without a current MOT.

However, some policies state in the small print that an MOT must be in force.
https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/advice/is-my-car-insured/

Soldato
The police being the police would know this and would send you to court for no MOT and no Insurance

That probably does happen. If your driving around with no MOT and the terms say you MUST have an MOT and you agreed to that, then the insurance was never really valid right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I checked mine after it was done and it definitely was not instant. Nor was the tax. It took a few days to update.

It updates as soon as the tester submits the test result as the final part of the test. It's all computerised.

Can confirm instant.

Checked mine had passed online before the garage called in April. Standard disclaimer saying it can take x hours/days to update but as said, instant really.

Soldato
No it can't, it's instant. It shows up quicker than it takes for the MOT tester to walk over and tell you it's done.

Can confirm this.

I always check when my cars gone in for an MOT as the garage is usually slow at phoning you back to say it's ready for pickup.

Also means you get a heads up if there are any problems.

That probably does happen. If your driving around with no MOT and the terms say you MUST have an MOT and you agreed to that, then the insurance was never really valid right?

Technically your almost certainly still insured for the bare minimum third party under the RTA, which is when the insurer will be forced to still deal with the claim but will come after you to recoup later.
As the ins co is unaware that you are breaching the terms they will still show as policy in force.
The police would see no mot but insurance in force and as such would know that the ins co will almost certainly meet your minimum legal requirement.

At this point your future insurance is going to get very expensive. Your going to need to say yes to have you ever had insurance declined or cancelled by an insurer.

Soldato
I forgot to tax my Exige for a bit.

Can be easy to forget when the dealers usually do everything for you... all other cars I’d bought in the last year, the dealers did it for me... so I simply forgot.

All good now, but I needed the reminder letter to tell me I was a numpty.
We moved house and forgot to tell the DVLA. Subsequently got letters from a debt collection company re unpaid tax on the Panigale and VW as we didn’t get the reminders. Remarkably the debt collector was able to find me easily enough :)

Associate
We moved house and forgot to tell the DVLA. Subsequently got letters from a debt collection company re unpaid tax on the Panigale and VW as we didn’t get the reminders. Remarkably the debt collector was able to find me easily enough :)
Sigh. Probably wont read again.

Soldato
having no MOT may "invalidate" your insurance insofar as the insurance company may try and get out of paying. But you wouldn't be done for driving without insurance. Two seperate things

Soldato
There was a text reminder system years ago that charged a couple of quid for the SMS.
Now I believe the reminder system is free.

A "free" system that requires you to posees a piece of techology that has a significant monthly cost attached to it is not "Free" (And nor is it universal either)

I know many people who either do not have mobile phones at all or only switch them on if they are actually wanting to use them to make a call.

(I also know several people who are not connected to the internet. They use mine for browsing but they do not have an e-maill address as such, so that "Free" option does not apply for them either)

Soldato
A "free" system that requires you to posees a piece of techology that has a significant monthly cost attached to it is not "Free" (And nor is it universal either)

I know many people who either do not have mobile phones at all or only switch them on if they are actually wanting to use them to make a call.

(I also know several people who are not connected to the internet. They use mine for browsing but they do not have an e-maill address as such, so that "Free" option does not apply for them either)

They'll need to be a bit more organised and put it in their diary then.

Back
Top Bottom