Yet another gender-swapped remake incoming - Cliffhanger!

Man of Honour
I can only imagine how bad this will be.

As bad as the original? And I say that as someone who enjoys rubbish action films including Cliffhanger.

I don't really see the need for a remake of Cliffhanger but then I don't see the need for most remakes unless they're going to do it better (and unless I'm feeling deeply cynical I'd accept that few people would set out to make a worse version of the same film) - in reality though most remakes are simply using existing intellectual property to give them a headstart to profitability since the creative industries often struggle to make money, the big winners can be hugely profitable but for many films (or games for that matter) there are more losers which the successful ones support and that's why the industry keeps on going. There are plenty of remakes that are ok but don't really add anything because while they're competently enough done the original was too good to be improved on in a meaningful way and that's whether they are male or female lead characters (hi to Get Carter, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Italian Job, The Longest Yard, Planet of the Apes, Red Dawn, The Taking of Pelham 123 etc etc) probably more so than any where it has been flipped to a female lead. That's my vaguely rational take on it, irrationally I find it deeply unnecessary for the majority of remakes to exist and although it shouldn't tarnish the original in any way there's that weird niggly feeling that someone has messed with something you cared about so my usual solution is to try to avoid the remakes as far as possible although it does lead to extra clarification needed at times "yes, Taxi, the cool French original, not the remake".

Caporegime
As bad as the original? And I say that as someone who enjoys rubbish action films including Cliffhanger.

I don't really see the need for a remake of Cliffhanger but then I don't see the need for most remakes unless they're going to do it better (and unless I'm feeling deeply cynical I'd accept that few people would set out to make a worse version of the same film) - in reality though most remakes are simply using existing intellectual property to give them a headstart to profitability since the creative industries often struggle to make money, the big winners can be hugely profitable but for many films (or games for that matter) there are more losers which the successful ones support and that's why the industry keeps on going. There are plenty of remakes that are ok but don't really add anything because while they're competently enough done the original was too good to be improved on in a meaningful way and that's whether they are male or female lead characters (hi to Get Carter, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Italian Job, The Longest Yard, Planet of the Apes, Red Dawn, The Taking of Pelham 123 etc etc) probably more so than any where it has been flipped to a female lead. That's my vaguely rational take on it, irrationally I find it deeply unnecessary for the majority of remakes to exist and although it shouldn't tarnish the original in any way there's that weird niggly feeling that someone has messed with something you cared about so my usual solution is to try to avoid the remakes as far as possible although it does lead to extra clarification needed at times "yes, Taxi, the cool French original, not the remake".

Wash your mouth out the original is a classic :p

Soldato
Oceans 8 performed bang in line with the other movies in the series, considering its lower budget.

And Overboard's gender swap reboot was a big success, on its budget (vs the original which bombed)

Whereas Total Recall reboot, cited in the op, was a big box office failure. As was the robocop reboot in the West (saved by China from being an overall bomb), as well as late sequels like Blade Runner and Independence Day, which sank like a stone.

What I'm saying is, most reboots and overdue sequels are garbage and/or perform badly. It's not a gender-swap issue.
Balde runner bombed? I think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen as well as the best movie this century

Soldato
Balde runner bombed? I think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen as well as the best movie this century

Critical claim aside, it didn't do well at all at the Box Office. Not quite a bomb but certainly disappointing after including marketing costs on top although I'm sure they made a profit after release on Blu-Ray/DVD/Streaming platforms.

Soldato
maybe they should reimagine it as "Coathanger". A woman's life and death thrilling struggle to find something to hang her new dress up w/, before it gets wrinkled.

Soldato
KK4 - Age is irrelevant, it is still a re-gendered reboot which is the only thing we're discussing
OP, yours, was talking about an apparent 'recent obsession', so age seemed pretty relevant, really.

We could go around in circles on the others, but in a nutshell I think gender swap remakes attract a disproportionate level of anxiety from some sections, and as such appear to be more of an 'issue' than they really are in reality.

Soldato
It lost an estimated $80million once marketing costs were taken into account. You're not making that back on dvds these days.
It will become cult. Its a slow burner. Fantastic movie that I feel is ahead of its time doesn't conform to the 3 second attention span of cinema goers these days.

Soldato
It lost an estimated $80million once marketing costs were taken into account. You're not making that back on dvds these days.
World wide it made money, not lose money..

Box office. Blade Runner 2049grossed $92.1 million in the United States and Canada, and $167.2 million in other territories, for a worldwidetotal of $259.2 million, against a production budget between $150–185 million.

Soldato
World wide it made money, not lose money..

Box office. Blade Runner 2049grossed $92.1 million in the United States and Canada, and $167.2 million in other territories, for a worldwidetotal of $259.2 million, against a production budget between $150–185 million.

These are production costs that do not include marketing budgets (which aren't generally disclosed) which in turn can cost as much as production. It was pretty widely reported that it lost money once that was taken into account.

Soldato
These are production costs that do not include marketing budgets (which aren't generally disclosed) which in turn can cost as much as production. It was pretty widely reported that it lost money once that was taken into account.
But with it taking 21mill in bluray and dvd sales in just over a year it's doing pretty well. I think by the end of 2019 it will be even closer

Soldato
But with it taking 21mill in bluray and dvd sales in just over a year it's doing pretty well. I think by the end of 2019 it will be even closer

Yeah down the line it may still make money, it's hard to comment without seeing all the numbers which they won't show you.

However, the big production studios are generally not happy when a high cost project like this breaks even or loses money and then they have to hope to recoup costs with home media down the line. Also bear in mind there are different production and distribution deals in place between all the companies involved, one makes more money from domestic market, other from international, another makes more from home media, etc

So as far as the big money is concerned in Hollywood something like this would be considered a financial disappointment at least. Anyway though, we digress a little too much :D

Looking at the original though, looks like it actually made a decent wedge at the Box Office so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised they are doing a reboot. At least in the age where studios are afraid to take a risk with new IPs and to be fair it also looks like Stallone has been talking about a sequel in the past.

I think a more concerning thing at the moment though is that there's isn't anyone with a lot of experience attached to the project, Sascha Penn looks to be the most experienced with Creed II story under his belt and producing credits from the Power TV series.

Back
Top Bottom