Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Associate
Didn't really go much on the first episode tbh, didn't grab me, and them all saying russian names and speaking perfect British English was offputting as well.

Soldato
and them all saying russian names and speaking perfect British English was offputting as well.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't on this issue to be honest. It doesn't bother me one bit as long as its consistent and the fact they didn't put on Russian accents was a good move imo.

Caporegime
Only thing that might have been over-done was how quickly radiation damages the body. I think it's slower than portrayed but could be wrong.

"The radiation levels in the worst-hit areas of the reactor building have been estimated to be 5.6 roentgens per second (R/s), equivalent to more than 20,000 roentgens per hour. A lethal dose is around 500 roentgens (~5 Gy) over 5 hours, so in some areas, unprotected workers received fatal doses in less than a minute."

I can't imagine them living too long after that.

Soldato
This is brilliantly done, but lord oh lord why the British accents. Actors are paid to act, they could have at least made an effort. I was really shocked HBO let this pass.

Soldato
That's ending was intense. As for accents I'm glad they didn't bother. It's stupid when trying to explain complex parts and the nuonces of what people are saying without it getting mixed up with a put on accent.

Soldato
Its without question the best thing on TV right now, probably the best thing this year.

I think so but I'm biased as the subject is one I take a lot of interest in. I didn't know about the divers till my 2nd or 3rd visit. I've been to the room in the hospital basement where all the clothes are. Still very highly irradiated.

Back
Top Bottom