*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Caporegime
Went on live chat last week for a hour after cancelling my SkyQ last month and got the Entertainment package for £15 and HD for £1 for 12 months. The guy on the other end said there were absolutely no offers that he could do to get it down from £23 until I showed him a screen shot of the offer the website was offering me on My Account to return.

My friend did cancel and had this through the post....But they would not give me that offer unless I showed them the name on the letter was mine.

They have absolutely no customer loyalty and could not tell me why I have to pay for HD when it is now the norm and 4K and 8K are the new standards.
Sky broadcast the most UHD content of any provider. You pay for HD because many choose not to or can’t receive it. There are still over 500k digiboxes and Sky+ boxes out there that can’t show HD content. And likely a whole boatload of HD boxes connected via SCART to a SD tv. Should they all be forced to pay extra so you can get HD included?

Where is 8k a standard? Japan or South Korea does not a standard make. Offers are also targeted and offers like the £11 will only be applicable if they’re showing on your account. If you didn’t get the £11 offer then it can’t be applied.

Soldato
I cancelled last Monday after 17 years with Sky and haven't had a single offer. Guess they couldn't care less if I leave or not.
Best thing to do is phone them and just ask the question "what offers are available to me at the moment?". They will offer you an adjusted price and then will quite usually allow you to barter on that price.

Man of Honour
If you've previously asked for no marketing or communication they legally CAN'T contact you.

I changed my settings when I cancelled to email, post and Sky ID phone number. Had a call today though and was offered entertainment for £17, HD for £1 and F1 for £10 which was the deal killer. It sucks being taken off the old package that I got F1 free as part of the HD pack!!

Associate
I cancelled after nearly 20 years but my issue was that it took over 80 minutes to do it on the message service. If you have a busy service get more staff.

Caporegime
I changed my settings when I cancelled to email, post and Sky ID phone number. Had a call today though and was offered entertainment for £17, HD for £1 and F1 for £10 which was the deal killer. It sucks being taken off the old package that I got F1 free as part of the HD pack!!
Legacy HD Pack including the F1 is £13 these days.

Soldato
Sky broadcast the most UHD content of any provider. You pay for HD because many choose not to or can’t receive it. There are still over 500k digiboxes and Sky+ boxes out there that can’t show HD content. And likely a whole boatload of HD boxes connected via SCART to a SD tv. Should they all be forced to pay extra so you can get HD included?

Where is 8k a standard? Japan or South Korea does not a standard make. Offers are also targeted and offers like the £11 will only be applicable if they’re showing on your account. If you didn’t get the £11 offer then it can’t be applied.

"HD" Should be free to anyone, sky are pure milking this service.

Caporegime
"HD" Should be free to anyone, sky are pure milking this service.
Perhaps, but there are close to 800,000 people out there with Sky that can't view in HD, be that on main boxes, Multiroom boxes, HD boxes connected via SCART to a SD TV etc. Should they all be forced to subsidise those wanting HD? It's £5!!!!

Soldato
Perhaps, but there are close to 800,000 people out there with Sky that can't view in HD, be that on main boxes, Multiroom boxes, HD boxes connected via SCART to a SD TV etc. Should they all be forced to subsidise those wanting HD? It's £5!!!!
Is there really a significant incremental cost to deliver HD vs SD to a customer?

Soldato
Just posted in the other thread......here for more exposure....

Hmmm, not been my recent experience......we had a great deal of 55.70 for TV (sports hd, cinema, Q multi, hd) on 2tb Q box, with 3 minis (only 2 on at a time) and 29 for BB/phone = £86.70/month...…. BB going up £2 intra contract, which is meh but ok, but TV side offers now expiring and going up +£30

Sky not offered anything much at all on chat just now, anything they offered also had a £15 admin charge(!) which was unremovable, seemingly, so have had to look at cancellation.

Does retention call to customer still happen/generate the best results?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

Only £5 you say? That's half the cost of a premium Nexflix sub... which has UHD content included in that price.

If Sky are so tight as to still charge extra for HD in 2019, a whole 13 years after they launched it then I feel bad for the people that Sky are selling there service too. There is literally no excuse at all, and the whole subsidy thing is rubbish as the hardware and infrastructure needed to implement it was paid for long, long ago.

I don't know why you can't get your head out of your employers butt and just admit it is a proper rip off, you'd get a lot more respect from people than trying to defend it.

Soldato
Time to do the annual dance again. For the last few years I've given notice and accepted a retention offer in the last couple of days of the notice period, usually from within the sky menus on the tv.

I have SKY+ in my living room and a Sky Multiroom box in the bedroom. Current statement shows as follows:

Box Sets 16.60
Sky Sports Complete Pack - 11.20
Sky Cinema - 4.40
HD Basic - 0.00
Sky Sports HD - 6.00
Sky Multi Screen - 13.00
Sky Go Extra - 0.00
See It First - 0.00
Sky+ Subscription - 0.00
Total 51.20 (This allegedly includes a discount of 53.30)

I don't have SKY Q and not having any 4K Tvs or the need for any wireless boxes I'm not too fussed about moving to that right now, unless of course they offered it for the same or less than my current payment.

I could loose Sky Cinema I'm not particularly fussed about that. Am I right in thinking that Sky Sports is now sold as separate channels? Would I save anything by selecting just F1 and Football over the full sports bundle?

I'm out of contract this month and they've sent a letter saying that they wil "honour these discounts" for a further year. Can I expect to do any better with retention offers if I give notice? Not noticed many deals out there?

Thanks

Edit - Priced up a new customer and the same package but with Sky Q is coming out at 73 a month and that is presumably with introductory discounts that they would not want to extend to me.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Just cancelled over the phone and it was really painless. I used the 'change of circumstances' reason (always stops any probing questions) and the Scottish lady didn't even try to sell me any discounts or anything.

Soldato
Well its that time of year again where I need to renegotiate my sky deal.
Currently paying £70 pm for 2tb box, movies, sports, UHD, box sets etc. Originally it was £60pm but various recent 'inflation' rises have bumped it up.
From next month by bill is estimated to be £99 & I have no intention of paying that much.

What's a realistic expectation price wise for my package?

Soldato
Currently paying £70 pm for 2tb box, movies, sports, UHD, box sets etc. Originally it was £60pm but various recent 'inflation' rises have bumped it up.
From next month by bill is estimated to be £99 & I have no intention of paying that much.

I'm in exactly the same position so interested as to what replies you get.

Caporegime

£99? That's the standard price, any reduction should be seen as a bonus. :p

Back
Top Bottom